1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sweden May 1st

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, Apr 1, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

For those who care or would like to get married, Sweden will officially start issuing marriage licenses for same-sex couples starting May 1st. Previously they had civil unions.

Countries/ States that are expected to pass equality measures this year:

USA: Vermont (will clear even with the governor's veto)
    New Hampshire (will be tough fight in Senate)
    Maine (This is up for grabs)

Ireland (Expected to pass sometime around June)

I would like to see more bills like this as well as the decriminalization of homosexuality in many nations like India which carries the death penalty.

2. PurpleTomato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Norway just legalized gay marriage on Jan 1 this year. Sweden is a close second. I love Scandinavia. They're so open and accepting and friendly. I wanna move there.

Hopefully New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont will work out too.

India's decriminalization of homosexuality I'm really hopeful about (since I'm half indian). If neighboring Nepal can do it (Nepal's debating gay marriage right now too since it became a democracy), so can the world's largest democracy. Come on, it's a law from 1860 left over from the British colonial period! At least, in India, the law isn't too highly enforced. But, India's supreme court, which is reviewing the case, is backed up with about 60 years worth of work so we shall see.....

3. Tim

Tim

Technically California should be on that list, as they are still in discussion/whatever it's called about if Prop 8 should be overturned.

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I'm doubtful the courts will overturn Prop 8. I do however think a legislative or vote will take place and eventually overturn the matter. I don't see this happening till 2010.

5. Just Adam

they better had burn prop 8 or ill whack them all with me guitar :| grrrr the rest is good news though :grin:

6. Myke

Myke Guest

Good for Sweden!!! Let's hope more follow in their footstep, we're making progress guys :slight_smile:

7. Colly

But at least there's progress of some form. Just as long as it's in the right direction of course.

It's great to hear that Sweden is allowing Marriage Licenses. If some countries can/have already done it, what's stopping the others?

8. Eleanor Rigby

9. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Mostly those bound by ideology (religious doctrines) and tradition. But it is moving along thankfully in the right direction.