1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, Prop 8. What's goin' on with that?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fiender, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Fiender

Has there been any news on the progress or lack thereof for the California equal marriage front?

Haven't seen any discussion on this for a while so I guess nothing yet. How long does the California Supreme court have to make a decision?

2. Nodnarb

In all the chaos with the Iowa decision today, I think I read that they have two more months to announce their decision. From what I've heard, things didn't look good for us, but today may have changed that.

3. Greggers

It should only be a few weeks now if im correct? I think they were going to debate it for like...around a month or something?

Im quite sure now that Iowa passed the law allowing it and other states are in the process they will be under pressure to un-do Prop 8 or look like assholes to the rest of america :slight_smile:

4. Yeah I thought they had to have a decision within like 90 days of the hearing or something like that. So a few weeks or something like that we'll know maybe.

5. Just Adam

i agree with greggers they cant really allow prop 8 without looking like a complete arse now...simple just get every lgbt person in california to threaten to move to a gay friendly state...that would upset them..sos i been watching milk hehe im in a fighting mood lol... wheres me megaphone hmmm :grin:

6. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I suppose one could hope, but ultimately it should come down to how they interpret the law - not their personal beliefs. The big question mark IMHO, is how(under their own decision) it can have GLB as a protected minority but at the same time have a discriminatory law in the constitution. One of the two views, will, have to supersede the others. I would have difficulty imagining them backtracking and saying that its just a contract with limitations. Anyways, it'll be interesting seeing how they come to their decision.

7. sdc91

The deadline is June 3, which is 90 days after the oral hearings.

The Iowa case has no bearing on this decision in California because they're arguing 2 different topics (and it's not like the justices will scrap their opinion thus far and write another one for the other side). In Iowa, it was a case about violation of the equal protection clause. That's the same case as California LAST MAY. What they're debating in California right now is whether the people can use the initiative process to change laws that affect a group of people, not whether California's equal protection clause has been violated. It was already established that it has been a year ago. California's court is going to be making a benchmark decision because this situation (initiative to take away previously granted rights) has never been argued.

8. Emberstone

Yah, we dont have a precedence yet for california. I personally hope that they block prop 8, not because of gay rights, but because it would set a dangerous precedence if prop 8 was not overturned.

It would set legal precedence for voting rights away from other groups.

Welcome to nazism, republican style. They have fought against womans rights and equality for african americans... dont give them the path to overturn those things again.

9. Markio

Ugh. I may want to get married someday, too!

10. Just Adam

awww big *hug* for markio :grin: