Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Current Events, World News, & LGBT News

Current Events, World News, & LGBT News A news forum for posting and discussing news topics regarding the latest breaking news, stories from around the world, and any LGBT related news updates that you and others may find interesting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th Dec 2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Punk Rock Girl

Orientation: Gynosexual
Out Status: Only out to me, myself, and I.

Transgender Medical Transition News and Discussion.

This thread was inspired by the kinds of threads I see on a futurist forum that I frequent, where people make threads for news and discussion relating to a particular topic. I'm not sure how well it will go over here, just thought I'd give it a go and see what happens. Basically, it's about what the title suggests, news and discussion surrounding the medical transition of trans people.

Example, I found this article about the logistics of a trans woman receiving a uterus transplant and subsequently giving birth. As well as this article about lab grown *ahem* vaginas. Though usually under the link you would provide a snippet of the article linked.

After which, anyone could give their thoughts on said articles as well as provide their own links, occasionally finding a newer one with updates regarding a previously posted link.

PS: The articles I linked were about trans women, but go ahead and link stuff about trans guys here too. I hope at least some of you like the idea!

Sydney/Syd (she/her)
AlmightyFrogCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Princess of Insanity.

Orientation: Bisexual-ish Lesbian
Out Status: A few friends

Re: Transgender Medical Transition News and Discussion.

Oh, I'd sign up for the uterus transplant yesterday!!!!!

Brooke Victoria Lexa
She/Her
clustergazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 05:38 PM   #3
Trans Translator

Orientation: Something between gay and bi
Out Status: In an open-closet

I'm actually wondering how they're coming along with bottom surgery for us guys.

Like, if they can grow a penis in lab, that'd be so awesome. I'm not very happy with what's offered right now, especially since they need skin grafts...

I would like bottom surgery someday, but not at the cost of my forearm skin...
Old 14th Dec 2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Punk Rock Girl
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowGreen View Post
I'm actually wondering how they're coming along with bottom surgery for us guys.

Like, if they can grow a penis in lab, that'd be so awesome. I'm not very happy with what's offered right now, especially since they need skin grafts...

I would like bottom surgery someday, but not at the cost of my forearm skin...
Well there's this, but unfortunately:

Quote:
Dr. Dicken Ko, a team leader and the director of the hospital’s regional urology program, said the team had not planned a set number of transplants. Instead, he said, the hospital will evaluate candidates one at a time and decide whether to allow surgery. For now, he said, the transplants will be limited to cancer and trauma patients, and will not be offered to transgender people.

Sydney/Syd (she/her)
Old 14th Dec 2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Punk Rock Girl
Threadstarter

I especially enjoy this article, I found it quite a ways back, and every once and a while I re read it, and each time it comes a little closer to reality.

Best of H+: Total Gender Change within a Decade
Quote:
Recently I made a bet with a member of the Institute for Ethical and Emerging Technologies. That bet sounded to him like I was being wildly optimistic, and he jumped at it, thinking it was a sure bet that I would lose.

That bet was that by the end of this decade, medical technology would be able to change the gender of anyone to the opposite gender, with full reproductive abilities of the new gender.

That probably sounds wildly optimistic to most of you as well, but not to me. To be honest, I think the deck is stacked in my favor. Why? Because we are a lot closer to realizing this achievement than most of you probably realize.
I am a relatively optimistic futurist, though perhaps the author is a little too optimistic, as I see the possibility of the things that the author suggested coming about in the mid 2020's at the latest if not by the end of this decade.

Sydney/Syd (she/her)
Old 14th Dec 2016, 10:02 PM   #6
EC Addict

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Most know. Some are clueless (haha!)

Being in the medical field, I think it would be very possible that similar things might happen....just not super quick.

What I could see happening is a quarter/eighth of what is being said. Maybe not a uterus transplant, but they might discover some useful way to actually use what's there, etc.