1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News North Carolina no longer classified as a democracy - Electoral Integrity Project

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aussie792, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Point of View: North Carolina no longer a democracy | News & Observer

I think this is the canary in the coal mine for American democracy. If the Republicans are so intent on power that they are willing to systematically undermine the processes of democracy and freedom which they ostensibly cherish, then the United States is slipping into a political culture in which only one party respects elections, democracy and popular will.

The integrity of institutions is what keeps you safe. Gerrymandering, underpaying state legislators (with a salary of $13,000 a year, even with entitlements you can hardly keep up a political life without already being independently wealthy) and engaging in blatant power grabs rather than respecting the one way voters could substantively voice disapproval by stripping the governor's office of power are all deeply concerning moves.

Actively understanding that and voting against illiberal and antidemocratic tendencies in the coming years, regardless of your views on substantive policy, is vital for the future of American democracy.

2. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In regards to the first point, that sound's like every state I've ever lived in. Also, Gerrymandering is what keeps one party in power in a lot of other states as well. Are there other states in the US that aren't potentially like this, if one party has a veto proof majority?

#2 sldanlm, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And to think we gave the ringleader of it a promotion, go figure...

4. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    technically the US Is not considered a democracy , but of a constitution republic

HOWEVER , in the US constitution , it is stated that the people elect officials to represent the said people of the state , the democrat represents the people of NC and with republicand taking power away from the new government undermines the republic and its people of not just the state , but of US.

Really NC state congress should be ashamed of themselves.

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read this too and thought it sounds about right for NC and other states like it. I don't understand why the gop does this stuff wherever they can other than greed and being totally dishonest. I can't think of any equivalent actions the Dems. have done. It's all deceit from the gop, gays are after your children, rampant voter fraud, trans people are after your children, abortion providers love killing babies, public schools cost too much, marijuana classifies as a schedule 1 drug, etc. Then all of the gerrymandering and changing rules before the next governor starts. Did Dems. ever do that type of stuff so flagrantly? And people either don't know about all this stuff or don't care and keep voting against their best interests. Ignorant people falling for their shit.

6. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Finally, someone who can see through the layers of muck and slime.