1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Dustin Lance Black: I have no respect for actors who hide their sexuality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by CanadianRunner, Jan 4, 2017.

1. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  2. anthracite

anthracite Guest

All I have for that guy.

---------- Post added 4th Jan 2017 at 09:01 PM ----------

*underage kids scroll away from my post*

Fuck it didn't show my middle finger. But for him I wasn't born with enough middle fingers. Stupid colletor of chromosomes may the empty space in his skull be filled with acid.

---------- Post added 4th Jan 2017 at 09:02 PM ----------

I could explode!!!!!

3. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think everyone should be entitled to handle their coming out the way that is appropriate for them to do so. Many times I do understand why actors, singers who are in the public's eye keep their sexuality in the closet because no matter how evolved society has come in regard to homosexuality, unfortunately, there are still among us those individuals who tend to still ridicule and criticize especially with the world of social media as it is now. It can actually destroy their career depending upon the fanfare that they receives from the masses. With that being said...just because he may feel comfortable or better yet confident with coming out and owning it but he cannot expect others to feel the same way as he does and they should be able to come out if and when they feel comfortable enough to embrace it. Everyone moves in their own time when it comes to coming out.

4. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Is that a hairpiece hes wearing?
    Nobody lied as much about their sexuality as Tom Daley used to do saying really stupid things like he really fancied Cheryl Cole.:lol:

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The nerve of them to try to have a career undamaged by people's prejudice.

Being judgmental is a far worse offense than being less than confident in people's opinions of you. Bigotry is beaten by giving respect, not taking more of it away.

#5 Argentwing, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whenever someone talks in absolutes ("never" or "always"), they often are making an exaggerated claim. People are in the closet for many different reasons, and they shouldn't be obligated to out themselves until they are ready.

7. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this

8. photoguy93

Although it didn't come across the best... I actually relate and have felt this way for years. I personally have no extra love for guys who hide in the closet so long that they find Narnia.

Why? Well, I went through shit when I came out. I put up with some hard stuff and while I learned a lot from it, it did change me. Guys who hide in the comfort of the closet, then come out with their boyfriends, being all happy...ehh, just makes me sad I guess.

9. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's none of his business whether or not an actor wants to come out. Good for him if he's faced few struggles because of his sexuality, but it's perfectly reasonable if other people fear that their openness might affect their family relations or careers. The truth is that this indeed does happen.

Anthracite pretty much summed up my feelings towards Dustin Black in particular. He did a damn good job too.

10. DoriaN

We don't need to idolize sexuality and post it everywhere, it's a very private/personal thing. I don't agree with this agenda.

11. Flowey

And his respect is relevant how?

12. Isaacsolomon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Easy for him to say: he's not an actor, he's a screenwriter. Actors are always, always in the public eye. Colton Haynes, Jodie Foster, etc, they all had reasons for delaying, no doubt. But as SaltyLemon said, his opinion and respect isn't exactly relevant, famous though he is.

13. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Heh, I don't even know who this person is, but wow let people make their own decisions.

In my opinion, a perfect world would be one where no one would have to worry about "coming out". People just...wouldn't assume things about others, and there wouldn't be a reason to hide sexuality/gender because there wouldn't be stigma around it at all. But, y'know, we're probably not gonna have that for a long time, if ever. Because we don't have that perfect world, for some people, especially in the acting world, it's harder for people to be completely out. That puts them at risk. Hell, since I'm going to try and be an actor, I'm scared as hell on how I'm going to approach my gender and sexuality. Do I choose to be open about it? What'll happen if I do? What'll happen if I don't? This guy says he's never encountered homophobia in that setting, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

I think having a lack of respect for people just trying to figure their life out and keep themselves safe or even just keeping private is foolish.

14. adrenaline

100% agreed!

15. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The truth :thumbsup:

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well does he want lgbt celebs to be waving their pride flag everywhere they go?

17. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol Dustin Lance Black. Nice logic there buddy. It's not like some people have to worry about their physical safety, their entire career, or their personal relationships. He forgets some celebs would not find success if they were out their entire career or if at all. Imagine if a Sudanese gay celebrity was living in the USA and was required to be out&proud by DLB's standards. Their family invites them home to Sudan for the holidays. Oh wait.. they can't go home because it's punishable by death to be gay.

18. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What the hell is this guy's logic?? He's a WRITER, which is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT JOB. Of course he hasn't experienced homophobia in the industry! People don't give a fuck if you're a writer and you're LGBT. What they give a fuck about is about actors who are LGBT as they are the faces the audience will watch. I want to punch his stupid face, he looks like he's high or something in that picture.

19. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh IMO the more ppl that come out In the public eye the better. Ppl that go around pretending they are straight aren't helping anyone, including themselves.

This is coming from someone who pretended to be straight for many years.

Now if I had a multi million dollar career I guess I might have a different opinion. I doubt it though.

20. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing about actors is that once their out with every casting director / crew , They are usually heavily typecasted as that " Gay kid ". Thats the reason why alot of them hide their sexuality .

Thats why I only say it to people in the business who I super trust on not spreading it around.