Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Current Events, World News, & LGBT News

Current Events, World News, & LGBT News A news forum for posting and discussing news topics regarding the latest breaking news, stories from around the world, and any LGBT related news updates that you and others may find interesting.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th Jan 2017, 01:32 PM   #21
EC Addict
Full Member
 
midwestgirl89's Avatar
 

Gender: Female
Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Some people
Age: 27
Posts: 1,188
Join Date: Jul 2011


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

I'm pretty sure they used a slur against disabled people which makes it a hate crime anyway against disabled people.
midwestgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2017, 01:39 PM   #22
Member
Regular Member
 
Stride's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: The World
Posts: 61
Join Date: Jan 2017


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestgirl89 View Post
I'm pretty sure they used a slur against disabled people which makes it a hate crime anyway against disabled people.
But white males are the mist discriminated against group of all time.

Thats what I learned from the internet anyway.

__________________
Stride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 03:14 PM   #23
He is the Way, Truth, and Life.
Full Member
Threadstarter
 
DoriaN's Avatar
 

Gender: Attack helicopter (Apache leaning)
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Posts: 1,159
Join Date: Jun 2011


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

White Lives Matter, white pride.
__________________
Amazingly powerful speech, love my sister in Jesus <3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOWMmx6eBjU
Don't worry I'm sure they'll capture the slaves peacefully https://twitter.com/TEN_GOP/status/843263945444016128
DoriaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 05:28 PM   #24
EC Addict
Full Member
 
dreamcatcher's Avatar
 

Gender: Female
Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Some people
Location: USA
Posts: 877
Join Date: Oct 2011


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoriaN View Post
White Lives Matter, white pride.
Did you seriously say that? Or are you joking? I hope it's a joke...
dreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 05:37 PM   #25
EC Addict
Regular Member
 
Glowing Eyes's Avatar
 

Gender: Transgirl
Location: Georgia (USA)
Age: 15
Posts: 713
Join Date: Apr 2016


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoriaN View Post
White Lives Matter, white pride.
Did you seriously say that? Or are you joking? I hope it's a joke...
I hope so too.
Glowing Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 09:06 PM   #26
He is the Way, Truth, and Life.
Full Member
Threadstarter
 
DoriaN's Avatar
 

Gender: Attack helicopter (Apache leaning)
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Posts: 1,159
Join Date: Jun 2011


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

You're making me become concerned.
__________________
Amazingly powerful speech, love my sister in Jesus <3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOWMmx6eBjU
Don't worry I'm sure they'll capture the slaves peacefully https://twitter.com/TEN_GOP/status/843263945444016128
DoriaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 01:41 AM   #27
EC Addict
Regular Member
 
anthracite's Avatar
 

Gender: Male (trans*)
Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: fuck that
Location: Germany
Age: 18
Posts: 859
Join Date: Apr 2016


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Why is white pride dangerous? It seems we have only two extremes: Hating ourself or imperialism. It's time we start doing it in a healthy way. I can be proud of my friends without wanting to exterminate the world, why is it so hard?
anthracite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 01:58 AM   #28
Member
Regular Member
 
Stride's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: The World
Posts: 61
Join Date: Jan 2017


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
Why is white pride dangerous? It seems we have only two extremes: Hating ourself or imperialism. It's time we start doing it in a healthy way. I can be proud of my friends without wanting to exterminate the world, why is it so hard?
Because "white pride" has always been used as a stick to beat minorities with. Same as "straight pride". "Straight pride" is a term used to mean "thank god we're normal and not gay!"

Sorry but historical and societal context does matter.

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2017 at 10:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
Why is white pride dangerous? It seems we have only two extremes: Hating ourself or imperialism. It's time we start doing it in a healthy way. I can be proud of my friends without wanting to exterminate the world, why is it so hard?
Because "white pride" has always been used as a stick to beat minorities with. Same as "straight pride". "Straight pride" is a term used to mean "thank god we're normal and not gay!"

Sorry but historical and societal context does matter.
Fascists have always appropriated left wing phrases and styles in order to make themselves and their ideology palletable to the wider public.
Dont be fooled. Its a dangerous place to go.

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2017 at 10:11 AM ----------

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
Stride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 07:55 AM   #29
EC Addict
Full Member
 
KyleD's Avatar
 

Gender: Male
Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Family only
Location: Caribbean
Age: 30
Posts: 849
Join Date: Jul 2013


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
Why is white pride dangerous? It seems we have only two extremes: Hating ourself or imperialism. It's time we start doing it in a healthy way. I can be proud of my friends without wanting to exterminate the world, why is it so hard?
Nothing is wrong with white pride, in fact white people often take pride in their culture - itīs that you donīt recognize when you are doing that. Take for example St. Patrickīs Day or Oktoberfest, these are not just Irish or German festivals - these are worldwide celebrated festivals that celebrates white culture. When white people take pride in their Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, French, Polish, Latvian, Irish, Lithuanian, English or Swedish ancestry that is white pride. White people can talk in great detail about their ancestry and no one could consider it racist. No one is insinuating that white people should hate themselves.

The problem is that most black people donīt know exactly where they come from so canīt celebrate say for instance their Ivory Coast heritage or their Cameroon heritage because there is a lack of information hence Ļblack pride.Ļ
__________________
"You can do whatever you want to me but it wont destroy the love I have"

Last edited by KyleD; 12th Jan 2017 at 08:08 AM..
KyleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 09:43 AM   #30
Space Cadet
Regular Member
 
Assassin'sKat's Avatar
 

Gender: Female
Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Getting there
Location: Oregon
Posts: 368
Join Date: Dec 2016


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

It's terrible, and it's obviously a hate crime.
Assassin'sKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 09:56 AM   #31
EC Addict
Regular Member
 
anthracite's Avatar
 

Gender: Male (trans*)
Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: fuck that
Location: Germany
Age: 18
Posts: 859
Join Date: Apr 2016


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Yeah, of course we must consider history. But we must do it in the most effective way. Banning the pride of any majority will lead to envy, hate and eventually crime. We need every group to have their pride while making them get to know each other. I believe that this will do more good than any PC action could.
anthracite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 11:56 AM   #32
Paid Protester
Regular Member
 
Libertino's Avatar
 

Gender: Male
Orientation: Biromantic Ace
Out Status: Online only
Location: Reno, NV
Age: 25
Posts: 962
Join Date: Jan 2016


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleD View Post
Nothing is wrong with white pride, in fact white people often take pride in their culture - itīs that you donīt recognize when you are doing that. Take for example St. Patrickīs Day or Oktoberfest, these are not just Irish or German festivals - these are worldwide celebrated festivals that celebrates white culture. When white people take pride in their Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, French, Polish, Latvian, Irish, Lithuanian, English or Swedish ancestry that is white pride. White people can talk in great detail about their ancestry and no one could consider it racist. No one is insinuating that white people should hate themselves.

The problem is that most black people donīt know exactly where they come from so canīt celebrate say for instance their Ivory Coast heritage or their Cameroon heritage because there is a lack of information hence Ļblack pride.Ļ
This is part of it, but it's also the fact that "black pride" (the phrase in its use in 20th century America) originated as a way to stand firm in the face of systemic discrimination against black people. There has been no systemic discrimination against white people, hence why the concept of "white pride" is not seen as equal to "black pride". Now, of course some would say that given the progress of society since those days, they are potentially on equal ground. That may be, but one cannot separate them entirely from their historical context. That is why some may continue to react negatively to "white pride", since it is often seen as a thing of spite rather than something that originated out of a sense of frustration with discrimination and a society trying to bring you down. In this way, "white pride" can sometimes seem disingenuous.

I'm "white" in terms of skin color (I prefer to call myself "Mexican vanilla" ) but my pride is cultural not color-related. I'm proud of my Mexican/European heritage, but pride in the hue of my skin is hard to feel. That's just my personal opinion on this topic--not saying that all must feel this way.

As you say, anthracite, banning it is always the wrong approach. Nothing should be banned thus. But we should look at the motivations behind statements of pride. Is someone saying "black pride" or "white pride" because they're proud of who they are as a person, including the culture of their origin, or is it because they believe their race to be superior or themselves to feel threatened by other races and their sense of pride?
__________________
Ha un'aria il signorino da vero libertino!
Libertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 12:35 PM   #33
EC Addict
Full Member
 
KyleD's Avatar
 

Gender: Male
Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Family only
Location: Caribbean
Age: 30
Posts: 849
Join Date: Jul 2013


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleD View Post
Nothing is wrong with white pride, in fact white people often take pride in their culture - itīs that you donīt recognize when you are doing that. Take for example St. Patrickīs Day or Oktoberfest, these are not just Irish or German festivals - these are worldwide celebrated festivals that celebrates white culture. When white people take pride in their Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, French, Polish, Latvian, Irish, Lithuanian, English or Swedish ancestry that is white pride. White people can talk in great detail about their ancestry and no one could consider it racist. No one is insinuating that white people should hate themselves.

The problem is that most black people donīt know exactly where they come from so canīt celebrate say for instance their Ivory Coast heritage or their Cameroon heritage because there is a lack of information hence Ļblack pride.Ļ
This is part of it, but it's also the fact that "black pride" (the phrase in its use in 20th century America) originated as a way to stand firm in the face of systemic discrimination against black people. There has been no systemic discrimination against white people, hence why the concept of "white pride" is not seen as equal to "black pride". Now, of course some would say that given the progress of society since those days, they are potentially on equal ground. That may be, but one cannot separate them entirely from their historical context. That is why some may continue to react negatively to "white pride", since it is often seen as a thing of spite rather than something that originated out of a sense of frustration with discrimination and a society trying to bring you down. In this way, "white pride" can sometimes seem disingenuous.

I'm "white" in terms of skin color (I prefer to call myself "Mexican vanilla" ) but my pride is cultural not color-related. I'm proud of my Mexican/European heritage, but pride in the hue of my skin is hard to feel. That's just my personal opinion on this topic--not saying that all must feel this way.

As you say, anthracite, banning it is always the wrong approach. Nothing should be banned thus. But we should look at the motivations behind statements of pride. Is someone saying "black pride" or "white pride" because they're proud of who they are as a person, including the culture of their origin, or is it because they believe their race to be superior or themselves to feel threatened by other races and their sense of pride?
Well said Libertino!

Iīm not sure what anthracite means about anything being banned because even white Supremacist groups such as the KKK and Neo Nazi groups are legal.
__________________
"You can do whatever you want to me but it wont destroy the love I have"

Last edited by KyleD; 12th Jan 2017 at 12:44 PM..
KyleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 02:31 PM   #34
EC Addict
Regular Member
 
anthracite's Avatar
 

Gender: Male (trans*)
Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: fuck that
Location: Germany
Age: 18
Posts: 859
Join Date: Apr 2016


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

I agree to what Libertino said. And as someone who is more of a patriot (which is equally viewed as white pride in america) I don't want to be associated with racists. This is basically what I mean with banned, because some people think can't make a difference between a healthy pride and racism and sometimes act violent.

I think that there are different cultures, but they should be equal and live in peace with each other.

I don't know enough to build an opinion of certain groups, but I fully agree that there should be limits. But I think there is hope that when fewer people are frustrated because they face social consequences when they express pride, people like KKK will find it harder to recruit. I mean, isn't that how they start? I can't believe that they go from door to door like jehova's witnesses in they funny little costumes and ask: "Hey, wanna talk about doing a genocide aganist people of color?"
anthracite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2017, 07:48 PM   #35
Bringing the laughs since 1999 :)
Regular Member
 
Andrew99's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Some people
Location: Arizona
Age: 17
Posts: 6,055
Join Date: Nov 2013


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
Why is white pride dangerous? It seems we have only two extremes: Hating ourself or imperialism. It's time we start doing it in a healthy way. I can be proud of my friends without wanting to exterminate the world, why is it so hard?
I agree. I love being white and am very proud of my heritage just like anyone of any other color should be.
Andrew99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2017, 03:48 PM   #36
Well Known
Regular Member
 
cibi's Avatar
 

Gender: Male
Orientation: Gay
Out Status: out
Location: Budapest
Age: 25
Posts: 145
Join Date: Aug 2014


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Murica!!! never change !!!

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2017 at 08:20 PM ----------

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I love being white and am very proud of my heritage just like anyone of any other color should be.[/QUOTE]

Lol that made chuckle
cibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2017, 12:51 AM   #37
Space Cadet
Regular Member
 
Assassin'sKat's Avatar
 

Gender: Female
Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Getting there
Location: Oregon
Posts: 368
Join Date: Dec 2016


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

The people who did this are trash. There is no excuse to commit such a crime. Trash, I say! That man will be traumatized for the rest of his life, and he doesn't deserve it. I will be seriously disappointed in the justice system if this group of scumbags get off lightly.

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2017 at 12:56 AM ----------

To add to the conversation about white pride, I am all for it. Of course there is still systematic racism against minorities in some cases, but everyone should be allowed to be proud of who they are. Even if you are a white, straight, male, which I guess is what everyone considers the least oppressed group.
Assassin'sKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2017, 07:10 AM   #38
EC Addict
Full Member
 
sldanlm's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Orientation: Demi sexual bisexual ? Kinsey 5
Out Status: out to close friends and family
Location: Eastern U.S.A. commuter
Age: 30
Posts: 1,334
Join Date: Oct 2013


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

I think some people are so caught up with the motives in crimes that it sometimes more of a focus than the physical actions themselves. If someone or some group is committing extreme violence against me, I could care less at that moment whether it's because of my sexual orientation, my skin color, my gender, my gender orientation, my religion if I have one, how I dress to conform to my religious beliefs, etc. Statements of hate against a group during a violent assault like this are just a criminals way of justifying their crimes to themselves and others.
sldanlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2017, 10:00 AM   #39
Supreme Commander of the Gnerd Army
Full Member
 
Kasey's Avatar
 

Gender: Female (trans*)
Orientation: People
Out Status: Out to everyone
Location: The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Age: 35
Posts: 7,401
Join Date: Dec 2013


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

I'm not sure what to say here. All I know is bias and prejudice and bigotry occurs in all demographics and towards other demographics illustrated by the story and by people commenting here as well.
__________________

"No one should have to live in darkness" - My two best friends
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2017, 02:25 PM   #40
You are who you choose to be.
Full Member
 
Anthemic's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Most of my friends and my sister.
Location: Alabama
Age: 25
Posts: 2,944
Join Date: Dec 2012


Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
Yeah, of course we must consider history. But we must do it in the most effective way. Banning the pride of any majority will lead to envy, hate and eventually crime. We need every group to have their pride while making them get to know each other. I believe that this will do more good than any PC action could.
I agree with everything you've said. Thank you for being bold and speaking your mind.
__________________
"Is there a cure among us, from this processed sanity? I weaken with each voice that sings. Now in this world of purchase, I'm going to buy back memories, to awaken some old qualities."
Anthemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News: KING: White privilege in America means white people never have to say sorry on behalf AtheistWorld Current Events, World News, & LGBT News 17 9th Apr 2016 04:12 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright (c) 2004-2015, Empty Closets Community Services
The Empty Closets name and logo are registered trademarks of Empty Closets Community Services

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21