Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Current Events, World News, & LGBT News

Current Events, World News, & LGBT News A news forum for posting and discussing news topics regarding the latest breaking news, stories from around the world, and any LGBT related news updates that you and others may find interesting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th Jan 2017, 02:32 PM   #21
EC Addict

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Some people

Re: Racist, political hostage attack towards white male

I'm pretty sure they used a slur against disabled people which makes it a hate crime anyway against disabled people.
midwestgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2017, 02:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestgirl89 View Post
I'm pretty sure they used a slur against disabled people which makes it a hate crime anyway against disabled people.
But white males are the mist discriminated against group of all time.

Thats what I learned from the internet anyway.

Old 11th Jan 2017, 04:14 PM   #23
He is the Way, Truth, and Life.
Threadstarter

White Lives Matter, white pride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qViOFR3sxGQ
DoriaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 06:28 PM   #24
EC Addict

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Some people

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoriaN View Post
Did you seriously say that? Or are you joking? I hope it's a joke...
dreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 06:37 PM   #25
EC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoriaN View Post
Did you seriously say that? Or are you joking? I hope it's a joke...
I hope so too.
Glowing Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 10:06 PM   #26
He is the Way, Truth, and Life.
Threadstarter

You're making me become concerned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qViOFR3sxGQ
DoriaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 02:41 AM   #27
EC Addict

Orientation: Aromantic & bisexual
Out Status: Family & close friends

Why is white pride dangerous? It seems we have only two extremes: Hating ourself or imperialism. It's time we start doing it in a healthy way. I can be proud of my friends without wanting to exterminate the world, why is it so hard?
anthracite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 02:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
Why is white pride dangerous? It seems we have only two extremes: Hating ourself or imperialism. It's time we start doing it in a healthy way. I can be proud of my friends without wanting to exterminate the world, why is it so hard?
Because "white pride" has always been used as a stick to beat minorities with. Same as "straight pride". "Straight pride" is a term used to mean "thank god we're normal and not gay!"

Sorry but historical and societal context does matter.

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2017 at 10:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stride View Post
Quote:
Because "white pride" has always been used as a stick to beat minorities with. Same as "straight pride". "Straight pride" is a term used to mean "thank god we're normal and not gay!"

Sorry but historical and societal context does matter.
Fascists have always appropriated left wing phrases and styles in order to make themselves and their ideology palletable to the wider public.
Dont be fooled. Its a dangerous place to go.

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2017 at 10:11 AM ----------

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12th Jan 2017, 08:55 AM   #29
EC Addict

Out Status: Family only

Quote:
Nothing is wrong with white pride, in fact white people often take pride in their culture - itīs that you donīt recognize when you are doing that. Take for example St. Patrickīs Day or Oktoberfest, these are not just Irish or German festivals - these are worldwide celebrated festivals that celebrates white culture. When white people take pride in their Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, French, Polish, Latvian, Irish, Lithuanian, English or Swedish ancestry that is white pride. White people can talk in great detail about their ancestry and no one could consider it racist. No one is insinuating that white people should hate themselves.

The problem is that most black people donīt know exactly where they come from so canīt celebrate say for instance their Ivory Coast heritage or their Cameroon heritage because there is a lack of information hence Ļblack pride.Ļ

Last edited by KyleD; 12th Jan 2017 at 09:08 AM..
KyleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 10:43 AM   #30

Out Status: A few people

It's terrible, and it's obviously a hate crime.
Katomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 10:56 AM   #31
EC Addict

Yeah, of course we must consider history. But we must do it in the most effective way. Banning the pride of any majority will lead to envy, hate and eventually crime. We need every group to have their pride while making them get to know each other. I believe that this will do more good than any PC action could.
Old 12th Jan 2017, 12:56 PM   #32
Heteropatriarch

Orientation: Biromantic Ace
Out Status: Online only

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleD View Post
Nothing is wrong with white pride, in fact white people often take pride in their culture - itīs that you donīt recognize when you are doing that. Take for example St. Patrickīs Day or Oktoberfest, these are not just Irish or German festivals - these are worldwide celebrated festivals that celebrates white culture. When white people take pride in their Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, French, Polish, Latvian, Irish, Lithuanian, English or Swedish ancestry that is white pride. White people can talk in great detail about their ancestry and no one could consider it racist. No one is insinuating that white people should hate themselves.

The problem is that most black people donīt know exactly where they come from so canīt celebrate say for instance their Ivory Coast heritage or their Cameroon heritage because there is a lack of information hence Ļblack pride.Ļ
This is part of it, but it's also the fact that "black pride" (the phrase in its use in 20th century America) originated as a way to stand firm in the face of systemic discrimination against black people. There has been no systemic discrimination against white people, hence why the concept of "white pride" is not seen as equal to "black pride". Now, of course some would say that given the progress of society since those days, they are potentially on equal ground. That may be, but one cannot separate them entirely from their historical context. That is why some may continue to react negatively to "white pride", since it is often seen as a thing of spite rather than something that originated out of a sense of frustration with discrimination and a society trying to bring you down. In this way, "white pride" can sometimes seem disingenuous.

I'm "white" in terms of skin color (I prefer to call myself "Mexican vanilla" ) but my pride is cultural not color-related. I'm proud of my Mexican/European heritage, but pride in the hue of my skin is hard to feel. That's just my personal opinion on this topic--not saying that all must feel this way.

As you say, anthracite, banning it is always the wrong approach. Nothing should be banned thus. But we should look at the motivations behind statements of pride. Is someone saying "black pride" or "white pride" because they're proud of who they are as a person, including the culture of their origin, or is it because they believe their race to be superior or themselves to feel threatened by other races and their sense of pride?
Old 12th Jan 2017, 01:35 PM   #33
EC Addict

Out Status: Family only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleD View Post

This is part of it, but it's also the fact that "black pride" (the phrase in its use in 20th century America) originated as a way to stand firm in the face of systemic discrimination against black people. There has been no systemic discrimination against white people, hence why the concept of "white pride" is not seen as equal to "black pride". Now, of course some would say that given the progress of society since those days, they are potentially on equal ground. That may be, but one cannot separate them entirely from their historical context. That is why some may continue to react negatively to "white pride", since it is often seen as a thing of spite rather than something that originated out of a sense of frustration with discrimination and a society trying to bring you down. In this way, "white pride" can sometimes seem disingenuous.

I'm "white" in terms of skin color (I prefer to call myself "Mexican vanilla" ) but my pride is cultural not color-related. I'm proud of my Mexican/European heritage, but pride in the hue of my skin is hard to feel. That's just my personal opinion on this topic--not saying that all must feel this way.

As you say, anthracite, banning it is always the wrong approach. Nothing should be banned thus. But we should look at the motivations behind statements of pride. Is someone saying "black pride" or "white pride" because they're proud of who they are as a person, including the culture of their origin, or is it because they believe their race to be superior or themselves to feel threatened by other races and their sense of pride?
Well said Libertino!

Iīm not sure what anthracite means about anything being banned because even white Supremacist groups such as the KKK and Neo Nazi groups are legal.

Last edited by KyleD; 12th Jan 2017 at 01:44 PM..
KyleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2017, 03:31 PM   #34
EC Addict

I agree to what Libertino said. And as someone who is more of a patriot (which is equally viewed as white pride in america) I don't want to be associated with racists. This is basically what I mean with banned, because some people think can't make a difference between a healthy pride and racism and sometimes act violent.

I think that there are different cultures, but they should be equal and live in peace with each other.

I don't know enough to build an opinion of certain groups, but I fully agree that there should be limits. But I think there is hope that when fewer people are frustrated because they face social consequences when they express pride, people like KKK will find it harder to recruit. I mean, isn't that how they start? I can't believe that they go from door to door like jehova's witnesses in they funny little costumes and ask: "Hey, wanna talk about doing a genocide aganist people of color?"