1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Study: Sexism May Be Harmful to Men's Mental Health

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chiroptera, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is really interesting.

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2016/11/sexism-harmful.aspx
    Sexism in men may harm their mental health, study suggests - CBS News

But, apparently, the study has some limitations as well: http://psycnet.apa.org/?&fa=main.doiLanding&doi=10.1037/cou0000176

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would actually agree with this in all honesty. Proves the social norms for men aren't helping anybody.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One time I was at the grocery store and this one girl was the cashier and the boy was the bagger. Well anyway my mom asked the bagger do you know where I can find (some specific butter) and he said let me go check. And he comes back with something close to the brand but not quite. And then my moms like "oh okay that's not quite what I was looking for but that's okay." And the cashier says to the bagger "ugh that's not where I asked you to look. It's probably because he's a boy." I was so offended when she said that. I mean I know it wasn't directed toward me but I'm a male and is she making the assumption that I don't know how to find stuff or I don't know how to listen? Because God forbid she makes a mistake and I say oh it's because you're a woman her ass would've been offended and I would have been the bad guy.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've attempted to explain this multiple times in the past, many aren't willing to listen but I have a certain respect for those who do and understand the facts and evidence.

Thing is, it hurts everyone. It might hurt some people worse than others, but in the end it's all poison in the well. For others or your own benefit, cleansing it helps regardless.

Hopefully most people are brighter than those highschool boys I previously tried to explain this to, but they were immature and people don't typically think outside the box here.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope we can move on from this type of negativity and we can all raise each other up, instead of putting one another down with microaggressions.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh it is! I've had so many sexist remarks made toward me because I'm a male and it is just disgusting!

7. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I always thought it was the other way...i.e. men who already have issues trying to fit all of societies cliches of manliness and being sexist to hide their own issues....huh...

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2017 at 02:21 PM ----------

Though, yes, I can see how trying to conform to those social standards will wreck your mental health.