1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Protesting Trumps Inauguration

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Spotofpaint, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Spotofpaint

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone. My wife and I will be heading to Washington DC on Jan 20th in order to protest Trump's Inauguration. With that being said, we are having a very difficult time finding an LGBT group to meet up with. I've found TONS of groups that will be protesting, ranging from anything and everything you can think of. But for some weird reason, I can't find and LGBT group.

I was really shocked when I contacted the HRC and found out they weren't doing anything. Neither is PFLAG or GLAAD or any of the big groups you usually think of. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Or better yet, are any of you going? We could always form together our own little band if there are enough of us. If not that's ok. We just have to find someone to be around so we don't end up being only two people surrounded by Trump supporters. It's really a safety issue at this point. Thanks everyone!

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Props on protesting your amendment rights. I'd love to go, but I'm 6-8+ hours away, and the timing is shit right now; I'm about to go into preproduction on my first short film and my partner are saving up money to get our name changed.

When you go, keep us updated and post pics when you can. I know the area will be huge, but you might run into some of my husband's friends and old coworkers through the ACLU there--which will be super cool.

3. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Out of interest (I'm in the UK), why are you protesting? Is it just because you don't like his policies? Or is it because of the Russian hacker stuff? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless.

4. Spotofpaint

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well...there is no short way of answering that question, so I'm going to copy and paste an old argument I made just before elections to try and convince people not to vote for this man. If you really want the full answer, here it is:

(My Argument from October of 2016)
    I know the following is long, but that’s because I included sources at the bottom. So please bear with me, especially if you are undecided or have thought about not voting this year at all. You must. Here’s why:

If Trump becomes president, he has said that the very first thing he will do, is sign FADA into law. (1) For those of you who don’t know, FADA would be a national law that would protect religious people from any consequences if they discriminated against anyone in the LGBT community. Remember the Indiana law? Yeah, it’d be like that, but on a national level. He supports RFRA bills like FADA and the one that passed in Indiana. He also supports NC anti-LGBT bathroom bill (2).

He’s also said he’d do all he could to reverse the Supreme Court’s decision to grant marriage equality to all people. So basically, he has vowed to rip apart thousands of now happily married LGBT couples and families. You know who that includes?
    Me and my wife.

Imagine if he actually got his way? Imagine if my marriage was null and void suddenly one day. Or if it helps imagine YOUR marriage suddenly being null and void. What would that do to you? Imagine FADA passing and my wife and I no longer being able to walk into a restaurant without fear of the manager coming out and saying “I’m sorry we don’t serve your kind,” and then being forced to leave knowing that manager would suffer no repercussions.

We could be turned away from any place at any time. Movie theaters, shops, or even doctor’s offices. Yes, this bill would even extend to doctors.

Trump has also built an extreme anti-LGBT team. He picked Pence as his running mate, of all people. Pence is the governor of Indiana who signed the RFRA bill into law, allowing the above scenario to actually become true. Pence also told reporters that if it were up to him, he would funnel tax payer money away from HIV treatments and toward conversion therapy instead. (3)

Yes, conversion therapy. The practice of trying to brainwash LGBT people into thinking they’re straight. The one that most other first world countries have BANNED due to its cruelty and scientists and psychologists have proven to be so damaging and harmful that many who are forced through this process end up killing themselves. Your tax dollars would fund this, folks.

If Trump’s personal attack against me and my wife has not already swayed you, and if his anti-LGBT stance has not swayed you, then don’t worry, there are PLENTY of other reasons not to vote for him.

How about the fact that he has openly admitted to, bragged about, and is proud that he has sexually assaulted numerous women? (4) And now that some of those women are coming forward to form a legal case against him, he shows no remorse, but instead MOCKS the victims. (5)

The fact that a serial sex offender is a candidate is bad enough, but the lack of remorse, his blatant cruelty about it is beyond disgusting. He’s like a villain from a comic book! That’s how unreal this stuff is.

To further showcase his ideas on women, he has repeatedly told people that he would date his own daughter because “she’s got such a fine figure” and “if I wasn’t her father…” (6) And back when his daughter Tiffany was born, back when she was only one year old, he told reporters that he hoped she ‘developed’ more as she aged and then made gabbing motions with his hands over his breast area. (6) You can’t make this shit up people.

If the atrocities he’s committed against LGBT people and women hasn’t convinced you to go vote yet, how about what he’s said about black people?

In a recent speech, he spoke in length about how all black people live in ghettos, are poor, have crappy schools and are uneducated. (7) This is his view of black people. And to make matters FAR worse, Trump has open support from the KKK, even being supported by David Duke, a neo-nazi. One of the KKK’s members stated he ‘supports’ and ‘likes’ Trump. (8) Trump has not confirmed or denied that he has a connection to the KKK. But I’ll tell you one thing: NOT denying an endorsement from a KKK member is pretty extreme in and of itself.

So we’ve covered how he’s gearing up to seriously hurt the lives of almost everyone now, except rich white men of course. Oh but wait, we forgot immigrants, Hispanics and Muslims.

So everyone already knows how against any kind of immigration he is (9) which is ridiculous considering America is a country of immigrants. But the things he’s said in the past about Latinos being murders and rapists is just crazy. In the article sited at the bottom in slot ten, Trump talks about “the raping, someone is doing all the raping” indicating that it’s Latino men. (10) This is rich, considering the law suit going on against him and all of his sexual assaults on multiple women. Trump, sir, YOU are the one doing all the raping.

What’s also incredibly hypocritical of him during his tirade against immigrants is the fact that his wife is one! She has come from Yugoslavia and is a first generation immigrant. She’s also highly suspected of coming over into the US illegally. It has not been proven but there are naked pictures of her from her modeling career dating back a full year before she had any legal paper work.(11) So…shall we deport your wife then, Mr. Trump?

If all of this STILL isn’t enough to make you got vote, how about what he’s said about the military and military families? Trump is almost famously known for mocking a 5 star military family as the mother and father cried over the loss of their son on stage at the Democratic National Convention. Their son was killed in combat on active duty, but Trump had the audacity to say that they and their son shouldn’t be allowed into America because they’re Muslim, not to mention they shouldn’t be allowed to serve in the military. (12)

He also went on to mock the grieving mother because she didn’t say anything on stage while her husband spoke, saying that she ‘wasn’t allowed to speak’ because she was Muslim. The mother was so grief stricken that she couldn’t. Somehow, he completely missed the agony on her face.

Trump also has completely admitted to never having paid any taxes despite his billions of dollars of income. He admitted it on stage during a debate with Hillary when Hillary accused him of not paying any. His response: “That makes me smart.” (13)

Just as a reminder, in case there are young people reading this: taxes pay for almost everything the county needs: food stamps, welfare, public schools, education, the HOPE grant, and also…the military. But of course Trump has already proven that he doesn’t even care about our boys and girls risking their lives to defend us.

Almost done, although I hope I’ve convinced you by now how incredibly important it is to go out and vote against this man! But in case you needed a little more, I’ll end on two more points.

Trump believes in torture. He not only believes in it, but speaks as if he likes it and WANTS to do it to people. He says torture works, when science has proven otherwise, and he says we should use it on suspected terrorists. The key word there is SUSPECTED. Meaning he’s totally ok with torturing innocent people. (14)

This, along with all the other things Trump has said during this election, has frightened all of our international neighbors. The ENTIRE WORLD is afraid of Trump and sees him for the danger that he is. The head of the UN Human Rights committee has said so himself, calling Trump “Dangerous” and “Disturbing.” The UN Human Rights Committee has ensured the entire world, that they are already putting plans into place in order to protect people in other nations, and in America against Trump should he be elected president. (15)

If that doesn’t take the cake I don’t know what does. So please, PLEASE, I beg of you, don’t throw away your vote by skipping or sitting at home this year. Please go out and vote for anyone other than this crazy, black-hearted lunatic. Because if this man is given the amount of power the presidency would grant, I shudder to think of what he would do with it other than simply destroying my life personally, which is terrifying enough. But keep in mind, Trump would be in charge of all of our nuclear weapons…and has said in the past, that the use of nuclear weapons is “never off the table” for him. (16)

Sources:
    (1) Promise to sign FADA into law. (Trumps own website) https://www.donaldjtrump.com/…/issues-of-importance-to-cath…
    (2) Supports Anti-LGBT NC bathroom bill – (Huffington Post) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/…/donald-trump-hb2-lgbt_us_57…
    (3) Anti-LGBT team –Pence wanting to take money away from HIV treatment and put it toward conversion therapy. (Towleroad) http://www.towleroad.com/…/mike-pence-wanted-divert-hivaid…/
    (4) Trump boasts and is proud of sexually assaulting women. (Washington Post) https://www.washingtonpost.com/…/3b9ce776-8cb4-11e6-bf8a-3d…
    (5) Trump mocks the woman he attacked. (Huffington Post) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/…/donald-trump-mocks-women-wh…
    (6)Trump says he’d date his daughter and talks about infants breasts. (NY Daily News) http://www.nydailynews.com/…/trump-comments-1-year-old-daug…
    (7) Trump hinks all black people are poor, uneducated, and live in ghettos. (NY Times) http://www.nytimes.com/…/pol…/donald-trump-black-voters.html
    (8) KKK “Supports and likes Trump.” (US News) http://www.usnews.com/…/why-donald-trumps-kkk-and-white-sup…
    (9) Against immigration. (CNN) http://www.cnn.com/…/polit…/donald-trump-immigration-speech/
    (10) Compared Hispanics to rapists. (The Huffington Post) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/…/9-outrageous-things-donald-…
    (11) Wife most likely an illegal immigrant. (Washington Post) https://www.washingtonpost.com/…/0c13cc1a-5a3f-11e6-831d-03…
    (12) Trump mocks 5 star military Muslim family. (US News) http://www.usnews.com/…/gold-star-families-to-trump-apologi…
    (13) Tax Fraud – “That makes me smart.” (NYTimes) http://www.nytimes.com/…/2-numbers-can-answer-the-donald-tr…
    (14) Believes in torturing people. Thinks we should torture more harshly. (Factcheck) Trump on Torture - FactCheck.org
    (15) U.N. HR says Trump is “dangerous.” (NYTimes) http://www.nytimes.com/…/…/donald-trump-un-human-rights.html
    (16) Use of Nuclear Weapons (ChicagoTribune) http://www.chicagotribune.com/…/ct-donald-trump-nuclear-wea…

5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would certainly consider attending, I'm not exactly financially independent yet though so...

There should be plenty of older individuals though, I'd think? Or at least there should be. I mean with all the obvious racism and sexism and appointing the US's own "League of Evil" to government seats seams like provocation to me. Giving Dr. Spraytan up there nukes isn't a comforting thought either. And we buy one, get a VP who believes in conversion therapy free.

If there's nobody there, maybe they're scared..? In which case I don't blame them.

6. Flowey

Have fun! :slight_smile:

7. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't mean to be nasty but why protest at his inauguration? because you don't think he should be president? its a bit too late for that and besides he won it fair and square.

He's promised to do alot of things when he gets into office but until he actually does anything why protest? protest when he proposes something you disagree against. people say they will do things but they often don't do all the things they say they will.

8. Spotofpaint

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait and see? Too late? You seem to think this is the first step I've taken, as if I'm new at this, or haven't done anything or cared until now. I've been decrying this situation from the very begging, since the very moment his name was thrown out as potential candidate, many months ago.

I've done all I can as an individual to stop it. I've written to hundreds of congressmen and women, I've talked to all my friends family, and even strangers I know about it, I posted on social media and I've done my due diligence and voted. Just because things have not gone my way doesn't mean I'm going to give up now.

No, I'm not going to wait and see if he upholds his horrific promises. I'm going to continue to do all I can to stop it now. This is just the next logical step in that process. And I will fight every day I'm alive for not only my rights, but the rights of everyone else as well. And unfortunately, this is all I can do.

We have very little power as individuals in our political system. And if I don't protest, what would you have me do? Sit at home, shrug my shoulders, and accept whatever fate has in store for me and my family and loved ones?

I'm always open to suggestions of a better way for an individual to bring about change. If you have a better idea than protesting, I'd like to hear it. Because I've tried everything else. But no. I'm not going to sit back and wait to see.

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the long reply Spotofpaint. I have to agree that private companies should be able to turn away LGBT people, but other than that I can understand why you're protesting.

However, do you seriously think that you can overturn a democratic vote if you kick up enough of a stink?

10. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A few things

Spotofpaint, I hope you find people and stay safe with this protest. I would join you but I'm both not an independent, and I am...way too far away. I do wish you good luck though.

I...am shaky on the "fair and square" victory. Not because of hackers or whatever, that's like a shot in the dark in legitimacy. But because the electoral college is...honestly a bad set up. And I say that coming from one of the smaller, rural areas that are supposed to be "better represented" by it. The popular vote is the more accurate vote of the people, and Trump did not win the popular vote. A nation should represent the individuals, not the individual land masses. Protests are a call for a change. A spark of a revolution. We have a right to stand against things that we believe need a reform. Even if the protest will simply draw attention to the situation, that's why we'd do it. To show that the people demand a change.

I don't think necessarily overturning the vote is what will happen or what's being targeted. That's pretty set. However if it did happen I'd be more than delighted. Instead, I think it's about showing that the people demand a change, that their voice has been ignored. A protest may very well draw attention to the need of reforming some of our incredibly broken systems.

Also, Spotofpaint, I'm sorry if you had something different in mind for your response to these things, but I felt as though I ought to put my two cents in. I hope that doesn't bother you (and feel free to correct me if my responses are way off I mean, I don't know your exact perspective on the situation)

11. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I could go but I already have an event I have to attend that day. I sort of forgot it was the Inauguration when I planned the event...so I'm kind of sad I can't protest but oh well. I'll protest another time I suppose.

It's never too late to protest. Plus more people didn't vote for him than those who voted for him.

I like that the OP is protesting because if you have a voice that you want heard, make it heard or change can't happen.

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2017 at 04:28 PM ----------

I personally hope to see people protest about the statements he has made about all minority groups and I'd like to see him change his policies based on the voice of the people. If enough people protest, maybe we can make some sort of impact and change the hate that's been going on. Right now there's so much hate in the appointments he is planning on making that any and all protesting is a wonderful thing. As far as I know, no one is trying to get rid of him as the president, as we all know he is the president starting on January 20th (unfortunately).

However nothing changes in the world without rebellion of some sort which means peaceful protesting.

#11 midwestgirl89, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017
  12. SkyDiver

Good for you.

That orange freak has no idea how arduous and stressful the next four years will be for him. I hope he drops.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More specifically, I'd encourage protesting the Republican Congress, because they're the ones with the most dangerous delusion of a public mandate and the most solid policies.

It is blatantly clear that Trump has no public mandate for his extreme policies, many of which (and the rest of his policies, too) are so ill defined as to be worthy of protest because of the message they send. The Republicans have legislative proposals with real and damaging impacts but which will get a free pass if it's assumed the public truly backs them.

It's important that the public becomes aware that the Republicans won both this and the last House on a minority of public votes. It's important that protesting Trump is calm and opposes specific issues and points out tangible harms. That's the lesson Italy learnt very late with Berlusconi - outrage itself only seems to fuel support. Having a technocratic discussion about the impacts of tax reform and corruption laws was able to knock the wind out of Forza Italia's sails.

Targeted opposition to real policies better cuts through the culture war than letting your grief get to you. If you want to protest, make sure you know exactly why it is that you protest and acknowledge that the goal mustn't just be too express horror, no matter how legitimate that would be, but to practically challenge the policies that will come out of the next four years.

14. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Apart from making a point and reiterating the fact that most of America is not okay with Trump being in charge (There are lots of Trump voters who just hated Hillary more) - which everybody already knew, what exactly is it the impact you think this protesting will have? Just curious.

15. Stride

Stride Guest

Down with fascists!

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This isn't going to do any good. Because he is still going to be president.