1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News China's Masculinity Crisis

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by OnTheHighway, Jan 9, 2017.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I see it more as an attack on helicopter parents. The skills they want to teach boys are important for girls too. This issue should be tackled but not with boys only.

3. Jellal

It's their national prerogative to raise masculine boys, I suppose. I'm actually not too opposed to gender norms. The reason being, I have every single norm in existence to thank for teaching me how I'm like most people, and the ways in which I'm not like most people. From a practical standpoint it's helpful. And hey, for the vast majority of these boys it could be just the kind of upbringing that will benefit them. So long as those who don't "fit in" to that mold realize that there's a place for them too, I don't see what the problem is here.

4. AlexTheGrey

Except, this reads more that they are "training" boys to be masculine, which is not about letting them escape the mold if they feel like it doesn't fit them. It tends to turn more into prodding, shaming, shoving, etc, etc, etc.

I know what it's like to live in a family that encourages gender norms in the passive-aggressive way. I wouldn't want to inflict that or the more dehumanizing versions of it on anyone.

5. TOM666

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My personal feeling is that children suffer when gender norms are for very harshly.
    I went to kindergarten a very conservative area most of my friends about girl and I played with dolls ( but not the way girls play with them, I'd dissect them and torture them and perform surgery and other weird things ) School is not happy with this and heading to the school psychologist. He asked me if I wanted to be a girl , I thought they have a strange question do I sarcastically replied yes ( I was a strange kid).
    The psychologist told my mom that I had gender identity disorder and my mom completely ignored him.
    In middle school I got into a fight, my mom and my aunt came to meet with the assistant principal, ( my father was a taxi driver and couldn't take the day off) he said I had "too much female influence" and that I needed to "go fishing with my father", he switched me from a female times counsellor to a mail backi he switch me or female going to counsellor to a mail file

---------- Post added 31st Jan 2017 at 08:00 AM ----------

I accidentally hit the post button before I was finished.
    What I meant to say was that I was switched from a female guidance counselor to a male one.
    Ironically I wasn't an effeminate boy, not that there's anything wrong with that, I got bullied and the only thing that stopped them was beating them up, once zig fought with them, they never bothered me again, luckily I was very strong for my age.
    Interestingly both male and female family members taught me how to fight.

Kids should just be left alone to chose whatever toys they want to play with, there is nothing wrong with gender roles, but they shouldn't be enforced in children.

6. DemonzPrincess

Smh, sad. This is not what the world should be prioritizing nor inflicting gender roles on their citizens.

7. BeeWitched

Ah so gender is not something written in stone, naturally and inevitably occurring, as they claim. It has to be taught (inculcated at the most impressionable age). Who would've thought!

Lessons in: 'How to be a cog in the local social roles puppet show'

#7 BeeWitched, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2017