1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Chelsea Manning to Be Released Early as Obama Commutes Sentence

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by CanadianRunner, Jan 18, 2017.

1. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/...s-bulk-of-chelsea-mannings-sentence.html?_r=0

"Under the terms of the commutation announced by the White House on Tuesday, Ms. Manning is set to be freed on May 17 of this year rather than in 2045. A senior administration official said the 120-day delay was part of a standard transition period for commutations to time served, and was designed to allow for such steps as finding a place for Ms. Manning to live after her release."

(Wasn't sure whether to put this under 'General' or 'LGBT' news, kind of both)

I know a bit of a controversial topic, but I definitely support this and hope there is good news for Snowden soon as well.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Manning screwed us out of a plan to stop the Iranians from getting a nuclear weapon by handing classified information to a website whose only existence is to publish classified documents. How does this warrant a commutation in any way, shape, or form?

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Manning's prison conditions were relatively uncertain in terms of safety and appropriateness, she had already served seven years and while her imprisonment for leaking well beyond what qualifies as whistleblowing was justified, her leaks were genuinely inspired by some degree of public interest and exposed war crimes and the lack of accountability of Iraqi forces working with the U.S. A considerable sentence has been served in difficult personal circumstances and her capacity to create further damage is negligible.

Snowden is a completely different question. He leaked sensitive diplomatic cables, intelligence and other completely legitimate forms of government communications and faced no justice due to an ignominious escape, undermining a large number of liberal democracies' relations and their security apparatuses. He proceeded to back and seek refuge in a brutal, repressive and ironically anti-press state whose defining characteristic is opposing the openness Snowden apparently cares about. He is a hypocrite and a coward who shouldn't be given a free pass by the U.S. under any circumstances. Manning's commutation is no precedent for him.

4. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad Manning is getting released early. She released to the public what was truly happening in Guantanamo Bay and showed the torture that the U.S. government is willing to conduct.

She served enough time in my opinion. The government needs to stop killing and torturing innocent people.

5. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Good tbh I didn't think Obama was going to have her sentence commuted so props to him. She served her time and there's murderers/rapists that get locked up for less time so our justice system is broken. As far as the leaked info, we need to hold people in high positions of power accountable for breaking the law too. Hypocritical to feel Chelsea needs to be punished but not the soldiers doing heinous acts even to this day sadly.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He should release Edward Snowden as well.

7. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  8. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very happy about this, 35 years is way too long for what she did. I think that he should have pardoned her instead of commuting her sentence, though.

9. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good. The government needs people who are willing to expose its skeletons in the closet. I don't know what motivated this particular political move from Obama (why now?), but this is certainly a good outcome. I wish Ms. Manning all the best for bringing government misdeeds to light despite the personal risks.

10. DoriaN

Manning is released but Snowden isn't. What a strange dichotomy.

11. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *facepalm* Snowden isn't in prison, my man. He's in Russia.

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2017 at 09:25 AM ----------

Snowden hasn't served any time?? He's also hiding in Russia so no one really wants to pardon him

#11 galaxygia, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017