1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Boycott against Uber because they continued to operate while Taxis protested.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Assassin'sKat, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-against-refugee-ban/?utm_term=.ff178b7d2485

In response to Trump's ban on people from certain countries entering the USA, taxis refuse service at the JFK Airport. Uber and Lyft continue to operate.

Lyft vows "to donate $1 million to the American Civil Liberties Union", while Uber announced that it was going to use its surge pricing during that time. With this, the #deleteuber hashtag began.

In response to complaints, the CEO, Travis Kalanick, also a member of Trump's economic advisory group, says he "planned to raise the issue with Trump at a Friday meeting of the advisory group."

But that didn't satisfy the protesting customers. The site has received many complains due to this issue.

I think it’s a good thing that Uber continued to operate, as people have places to be. They may be too busy to care about the protest right now. Also, of course Uber used surge pricing, they just do that whenever there is an increase of demand. The fact that the CEO works with Trump is a separate issue. The CEO is a CEO when he is being a CEO, and he is working with Trump when he is on the advisory group. They are separate things that he does, and he doesn't have to involve them with each other. Also, Uber is a business, it isn’t their job to be involved in politics. So I can see their side.

But I also see the customers' side. They just are unsatisfied and they can boycott if they want. Their choice to refuse to use Uber.

Me personally, I just don't think a company should have to involve itself in political protests. It's not their job. Uber's job is to get people without access to cars from one place to another. I am glad they continued to operate, even if I disagree with the kind of ban Trump put in place. Because, as someone who doesn’t have a car, I understand what it’s like to be somewhere, and only have Uber and cabs to depend on.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    JFK airport is not as an institution in favour of the executive order and a taxi boycott does not in any way prevent the policy from being implemented.

Airports need to be serviced as major pieces of infrastructure and were the taxi industry capable of crippling that, no benefit to affected travellers, refugees and residents would be felt while a lot of harm and unnecessary financial burden would be shouldered by a large number of users of the airport.

If Uber were actually supporting the ban in either logistical or ideological ways, then I could understand the taxis' position. But in the meantime, it just seems like the taxi industry taking a cheap shot at a more efficient and increasingly popular (both in quantitative use and qualitative reputation) competitor.

3. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm. What an incredibly interesting way of looking at it. I had not thought of that.

4. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like Uber because the idea of "surge" prices is confusing and I don't want to get into a car that is unmarked. I don't ever plan on using Uber regardless of this issue. The concept of getting into a random car that isn't the standard yellow taxi and trusting that person to drive you places ... no thanks.