1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News United States downgraded to 'flawed democracy' in EIU Democracy Index

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aussie792, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Daily chart: Declining trust in government is denting democracy | The Economist

Congressional obstructionism and violent populism were the will of the people, clearly.

Notably, Brexit increased Britain's standing because it unleashed a level of political participation rarely found in British politics, even if the vote itself was marred with disinformation.

Norway remains on top, with a rating of 9.93/10.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is that bad?

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Flawed democracy? That's being generous. We're being "led" by a man who hands out executive orders like they're candy and sacks anyone who disagrees with him AND IT'S ONLY BEEN A WEEK AND A HALF. I'd say we're well on our way to being a dictatorship unless someone throws this asshole out of office.

#3 ThatBorussenGuy, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  4. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [GVIDEO][/GVIDEO]
    I have to agree. Checks and balances still exist so hopefully that will keep things somewhat ok but seems he is leading in a fascist way.

5. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would describe any democracy as 'flawed' in some way. No democracy is perfect.
    Now, is Trump a polarizing and divisive person? Yes, but I am grateful to be neighbours with the US. I would rather be closely tied with the US over any other country in the world. US is the world leading democracy with the most powerful force in the world.

6. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unless Donald Trump changes the fact that we are a democracy, the fact that he is in office does not make us anymore flawed. He was elected fair and square, he's just another president. Just one that no one likes. The reason listed was because we have distrust in our government. That was here before he was in office.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I could say I was surprised, but... People have really went off the deep end here.

If the government wants to be trusted more, the could just stop prioritizing their appearance over their citizens by the way. I get it's not everyone doing this, but pandering to a few crazies really tends to hold everyone else back. What reason would I have to trust a system that tries to use tax money to limit my rights?

It's like what I said about Kim Davis; do your job. That's it. Do it good. Give us a reason to like you at all, and we'll see about trust when you've earned it. If the job is not for you, then you should look elsewhere. Simple right?

That being said I feel bad for the few who actually do their job right and have clean intentions. They must put up with a lot...

8. DoriaN

Glad people are (sorta) waking up, Trump isn't new he's just topical.

9. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Although I'm anti-brexit, I'm glad the high voter turnout and public involvement in government helped the UK's score. Shame it knocked the arse out of its currency.

10. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Um guys. We've never been a real democracy. The electoral college elects the president not the public election! I mean i'm 25 so maybe i forgot the details that grade school taught me, but we've like never been a real democracy. Then again, even if we were, then the president would only represent the most populated areas not the whole country, which is what to my knowledge the electoral college was meant to protect against.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'd have to agree. I think we're on our way to becoming a huge, polluted garbage dump, with a few very rich people taking advantage of whatever they can, and an increasing number of poor people, and others, struggling to get by. I see ourselves as moving in the direction of more of a third world country, over time, given how the gap in wealth gets worse and worse, something poised to accelerate at an even more alarming level. And, at that point, I'm not sure there's ever going to be a way for the common person to 'buy' Democracy back, or what we had of it.

I look into the future, and see a barren wasteland, where we're sifting though some vast dump, looking for scarps.

#11 HuskyPup, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  12. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It feels like forever already :lol:

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Regardless of my opinion on the structure of the US political system, the revision of the report had precious little to do with that.

The report downgraded the US because of political obstructionism leading to inefficient government, loss of public faith in institutions of government, polarisation that impacts not just political philosophy but conceptions of reality and regrettably low political participation.

Also the electoral college was a terrible compromise to maintain the political representation of a narrow class of persons in a system which was originally designed to exclude the vast majority of the population and give rural gentry disproportionate power regardless of population. Apart from the fact that your explanation doesn't justify why populous areas shouldn't get more representation (they form the bulk of the 'whole country'), it's an act of unconscionable historical revisionism to ignore for whom it was created.

14. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It is even worse now with Trump´s lack of respect for the judiciary, his obsession with executive orders, slashing regulations of banks and weakening agencies charged with the protection of the environment.