1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trump expected to rescind/cancel protections for trans students

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sonic1337111, Feb 22, 2017.

1. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. DoriaN

3. anthracite

anthracite Guest

What the fuck is he gonna do about it? How many trans folks who don't pass use their real bathroom? No one notices anyway. If I ever go to america I WILL go to men's regardless if I'm on T or not and write: "An FTM was here" on the wall. And if anyone has a problem with that, we'll duel like in the good old days and see who's the real man.

Nice try, motherfucker.

4. AlexTheGrey

This is specifically around public schools, which state and local governments operate, but take guidance from the fed for certain issues.

What this basically means is that certain states will continue to try to protect transgender youth in their school systems, and other states will ignore discrimination and bullying, or even codify it in bathroom bills of their own.

5. AlamoCity

Given you're 18 and not a student here won't have issues. It seems Trump went (to borrow language from the CCW permit world for irony) from "shall" protect to "may" protect, depending on the jurisdiction (leaving any protections up to the local state. Basically, it pleases all states that carried Trump to win the election.

I have used the bathroom with who I suspected were FTM individuals (physical characteristics gave them away). The only awkwardness was having the confused look of assuming I was in the wrong bathroom which was awkward for me and uncomfortable for them, but it only stems by how sexually prurient, and at the same time repressed, America is.

6. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I never got the impression that protecting the LGBTQ was ever a priority of this administration.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really do wonder why some people thought this was a good idea. I don't know what part of "Lets give the orange megalomaniac some nukes" reeks of brilliance but I am yet to comprehend it.

I hope something can push things forward, even if the (rather indoctrinated) public doesn't quite see the point yet.

8. YeahpIdk

I could cry forever over this. I felt nauseous as soon as I read.

9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot of people probably made reassuring statements like "Trump doesn't care about this, so he won't do anything". But the key point is the first statement. He doesn't care; therefore, he could go either way. The protections could stay, and he personally probably wouldn't care to fight them, but if his conservative cabinet wants them removed, then he will do what they want. This is what I was most concerned about regarding Trump. It doesn't matter what his personal feelings and opinions are on these issues. He will do what his conservative administration and supporters want.

10. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is pure politics. Trump allowed Obama's Federal LGBT contract protections stay in place, and with all the hell he probably got from the religious right, he had to give them a bone to chew on, so he threw this at them. The problem is, the ramifications are MASSIVE. What I do not understand about the religious right, is their view that they need to impose their religious beliefs on others - this has NO impact on them whatsoever.

Even Betsy Davos, now the Education Secretary, and from a prominent religious republican family was against this change (who would have thought). She fought against it, and from what I read, had a debate with Trump and Sessions before this was announced.

Jeff Sessions should be ashamed of himself, but instead, he thinks he is going to heaven for this. He was the one who drove the change (I am sure with Pence's support).

A few steps forward, a few steps back.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is the first step in the Trump era of many steps backwards for LGBT rights...I'm amazed that anyone thought Trump gave a rat's ass about them, or harbored this notion he was somehow 'not all that bad' in this regard, especially given his base of support.

As my grandfather told me, "Never trust a Republican."

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the question here (especially with the lawsuit) is how Title IX is to be interpreted on this issue. I personally believe that the Obama Administration overreached, and that it would take a bill in Congress to achieve the outcome he so desired. This is why elections are so important!

13. AlexTheGrey

I think it depends on what you mean by trust. I certainly trust them when they say they want to pursue a particular agenda, in the sense that I expect them to actually try to do it.

That trust doesn't extend to trusting that a given politician will follow evidence unless it backs up their own biases. Or to examine their own biases against some of their own constituents. Both sides are guilty of that. It just happens that the Democrats are more receptive to making changes to fix inequality issues than the Republicans are right now. The Republicans used to be more willing to pursue equality issues than they have more recently, thank the Dixiecrat migration for that.

But yeah, when Trump says he doesn't care, I believe him. When people speak out against LGBT issues, I believe they mean it when they say they want to pursue an anti-LGBT agenda. And when Trump surrounds himself with those people, it stands to reason that their caring will tend to override his lack of caring.

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And water is wet. Why is anyone surprised by this?

15. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I freaked out when I first read this about 5 days ago, though I'm not sure why as I really did expect it (as stated by daydreamer). I guess it's just the reality of it happening. However, good news is, he isn't banning people in schools using their bathrooms, he's just making it a choice of whether or not the school will allow it. I'm going back to my public high school next year, and hopefully they will be accepting. They have said they are, so fingers crossed (though my parents are a whole other issue). Regardless, I'm pissed, but I would be more pissed if this was coming from someone different than this orange.

16. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be honest, there was no good answer.

You either give the nukes to the orange megalomaniac, or to the evil witch. Oh, Bernie. Why couldn't you have been elected instead?

17. Linkmaste

Because obvious choice is obvious.

Look, I'm not sure if this is a blessing in disguise but this is the EXACT time for you guys to start putting the HEAT on the school boards. Being part of those committee are easier and finding out through a few googie searches can determine either your school will have an easier time allowing the equality of transgender folk using the restroom or not.

I'm looking at this for you guys as a OPPORTUNITY. Remember Trump made the rule that it will go to the schools themselves (districts). Rally up your squad, get the research done, and you guys can make some real history happen.

And no, reblogging Tumblr or Facebook posts don't count. When I swore to take out the high school power house popular crew back in my evil days, I got down and dirty. Took names, got inside scoop on what they had and with a little hard work and research-I managed not only to take out the parents who had their money in the school, but I also managed to set the pave way to the first LGBTQ club at a CATHOLIC high school.

Stand strong. You guys are tougher than you think. :slight_smile:

18. Jellal

Generally my feelings about this too. I strongly believe in people and institutions making their own choices without the long arm of the government telling them how they should behave. The ones who stand up for trans students now are doing it of their own volition, and I think a community that respects and protects trans student rights willingly is much more likely to welcome and understand them than one that merely does those things under govt. ordinance.

19. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know this isn't related, but the fact that he did this makes me fear that he's going to take away gay marriage being legal, and make it a states' rights issue. It should not be a states' rights issue. We're a country - i don't think it should become law that a couple can get married in one state but not another.

I feel the same for transgender rights, but i don't think its going to happen soon. People need to be educated, research needs to be done, and standards need to be set. I don't think transgender people will have equal rights until people are educated and more research is done. When the bathroom law was first put in place all i heard locally was parents telling me how scared they were for their kids - that their kids would get raped by someone pretending to be trans. One parent at the store had a portable potty for her preschooler in the car because she refused to let the child go in a public restroom.

I feel like in order for people to support transgender people and change what Trump did, they need to understand them. For them, even if they aren't religious it can be mind boggling to propose, and if people can be taught the hows and whys (hence why i believe research is needed) and learn about real trans people and hear their stories, perhaps it'll help them start to support them and support equal rights for them. I'm gay and i don't understand either. Back when i was in highschool we had a psychology class that i took - at the time, during the early 2000's, being trans was labelled as a mental illness called gender dysphoria i believe it was. Now, reading that article about the trans boy that won a wrestling tournament, its called a medical issue. I don't get it, and i hope i'm not the only one who supports it but still doesn't understand it.

#19 AlexJames, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  20. Jellal

To be honest I think there are a lot of people in a similar position as you are, who don't understand it but support it all the same. Most of them are left-wingers, and they'll support it because they're supposed to hold tolerance for others (especially oppressed class) as an ideal.
    I mean I'd be lying if I said I understood transgenderism perfectly. I think it's a complicated subject. Identity is only simple if you can afford to ignore it.