1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Reasons against the Day of Silence"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Greggers

Taken from http://www.illinoisfamily.org/doswalkout/ and the various links on the site.

These are the reasons that they at the IFI tell you to give your children for being against DoS:

So because of this, they decided the best way is to 1) Force your children out of school that day -OR- 2) Send your child to school with cards to hand out with an anti-homosexual message and pro-Christian message, trying to force Christianity onto people.

- - -

WOW. Ok. Yea.

First off? "No school should support a view of homosexuality that is unproven and controversial"? What do you call, oh, YOUR RELIGION? Homosexuality is just a *tad* more proven than higher forces.

Second? "No school should allow classtime to become politizied"? Well i sure am glad our schools have stopped teaching kids about free thinking, free speech, freedom of expression, and freedom period and are FINALLY going back to the dark ages and just brainwashing our kids into not thinking politically. Thats exactly why we invented school! Its not about learning its about conformity and accepting everything at face value!

And the last point ill touch on. "Just because someone may feel bad when hearing that someone disapproves of homosexuality does not mean that disapproval is cruel or wrong."? Um. WOW. Id like to see them say that to the ladies face whos son hung himself with electrical chord because he was called gay at school over and over again. Id LOVE to hear the person who wrote that GO UP TO THAT LADIES FACE and tell HER that its not cruel or wrong. That point, that point right there, makes me so mad. They say its not wrong to call someone gay! THAT my friends, is cruel and wrong. Maybe next time they want to look up the words before they use them.

2. Coldflame

I just don't understand these people. Is it really necessary to take it that far? It's a simple and harmless protest against a good cause. They make it seem as if just having a difference in opinion is as much of a sin as they think homosexuality is. I feel like they are trying to incite some kind of war. I'm honestly so appreciative of the fact that I live in a place where this kind of thing does not happen anywhere near as often (to the best of my knowledge).

3. Kirakishou

Oh god, I remember on last year's day of silence, these people were outside my school, passing flyers out.:confused: Students tried to get the school to remove them, but the school said they technically weren't on school property.:dry:

4. Emberstone

These people are the reason we have the day of silence. It is not to fight disapproval of homosexuality, it is to speak out against the violence and bullying and abuse that is directed at people because they are different.

Fundementalist chirstians are one of the most profound sources of hatred and abuse, and oddly enough, pedophillic incest in this country. They need to stop acting like a moral authority on anything.

5. sampantha

that whole quote is the reason for the day of silence; people not holding back on what they say to homosexuals.

6. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I'm starting to think that they are the ones who should remain silent so that we don't have to listen to all this bullshit, you know.

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh it's a political agenda to be nice to people? CAN'T have that.

Now lets have a look in the precious bible. Oh, what's that? IT SAYS TO LOVE PEOPLE SEVERAL ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE MORE THAN IT SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY.

... by hijacking the classroom for political purpose?

Day of silence. That means they are still in class. In fact, from my recollection of school, teachers would love a day of silence.

My brother was badly bullied in elementary, which was ignored by administration, and it pisses me off that they oppose something that would reduce bullying.

8. GhostDog

AGHHH I hate, hate, hate that attitude! If it's any consolation, at least in my own art education classes, that is NOT what they are encouraging us to do. There's a big push (at least in art education) to look at art and visual culture in general, and try to interpret not just what we are seeing, but why we are seeing it, and to encourage students to form their own conclusions about what that means. Heh, actually implementing it is apparently proving tricksy, but the ideas are there. Art for life's sake! That's what I'm all about, anyway.

Kids may forget trigonometry, how to write an annotated bibliography, or how to balance chemical equations. Most of us don't use every subject we learn in school. So I think it's absolutely crucial that, in addition to whatever individual subjects we may teach them, above all they need to learn to THINK (and not just take some friggin' standardized test, the results of which determine how much funding their school gets). Not only do children deserve to be taught that there ARE multiple solutions to a problem, multiple ways of looking at things, and that their own views are as important as anyone else's, we as a society owe it to ourselves and our future to do so.

If we want robots, let's build robots. If we want a healthy society, let's nurture ourselves some friggin' minds, people!

Hmph. But I'll get off my (admittedly pre-service) teacher soap box here, hehe.

#8 GhostDog, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  9. Bryan

These are the assholes that run my school. Needless to say, my efforts to run a successful DOS have been incredibly difficult.

10. paytah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Disregarding for a moment the rest of the absolute hypocrisy that is this website, did anyone else watch the video? I don't actually know now how I made it the whole way through, I only remember an odd sense of fascinated horror.

No matter how many kids do walk out there's a slowly rising majority of those who aren't going to. Not everywhere, and not immediately, but acceptance is something that is spreading. Even though the ideals these groups promote are horrible there's a hopeful message hidden here. All these people are trying to do is prohibit change which, unfortunately for them is entirely part of being human! All they're doing is persisting in being obstinate to the level of insanity.

Of course, if, as the video claims, Patriot's Day is "being supplanted by political correctness and radical environmental ideals" (aka Earth Day) then maybe science is wrong and global warming doesn't exist after all and homosexuals are really...people...from mars...or something...infiltrating our human society to...more easily perform evil alien experiments.

That sounds pretty rational to me. >.<

11. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Keep trying.. Even if you can't have a full fledged event, you can still:
    -Wear a T-shirt dedicated to the event
    -Minimize all unnecessary small talk
    -hand out cards.