1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Ask Don't Tell may take years to repeal

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Martin, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...if it is even lifted at all.
    I think it would be pretty crappy for Obama to not try and remove this ban. I know the opposition is fairly strong when trying to keep it, but to just delay it year after year isn't going to make it go away. Fair enough the economy is messed up and there are important issues to deal with, butmaking somebody hide who they are is a pretty severe breach of human rights and should not be bumped down the list continuously because there are other issues that also need dealing with.

I hope it does get lifted so we can give a big FU to those homophobic bints. :grin:

This article comes one day after an article threatening mass resignations should the ban be lifted. :rolleyes:
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-12024.html

2. kramer362

It's pretty stupid. People aren't going to come out if they feel it's unsafe or will create too much tension, just like in regular civilian life. Repealing it doesn't mean everyone will automatically come out, especially if they feel there will be backlash...

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Thats ridic, so much for living up on promises. Obama hopefully wasn't alot of talk on gay rights.

4. Just Adam

this is total trash ! nothings gonna change simply because of the armys main supporters.... i remember back in the election alot of the military support came from the south more importantly from the more right wing intollerant areas... im not trying to upset anyone but this upsets me and its how i see it nothing wont change cos it will upset the red neck hicks who join the army before their voices even change... why else should this be difficult? sexual orientation has no impact on beeing able to kill and follow an idiots orders like a puppet thousands of miles away :|

if obama really gave a crap about lgbt people he would just say anyone has the right to defend their country and the freedom of the world, afterall war doesent choose who to kill a bullet will kill you no matter your sexuality... so we all have the right to fight for our lives and those we care about...

the need to listen to gary moore - out in the fields ... should help them understand death doesent care so why should they

5. Mickey

This pisses me off,too. It's okay for gay people to fight in this stupid war,and die for their country,but don't you be gay because we'll kick you out! Ugh! I can't stand it!

6. Mr Bojangles

You shouldn't speak ill of the army. It's not the easiest of jobs. But I think that It's quite a good thing, because we don't want to upset our southern cousins, 'cos they're particularly narrow-minded. And men and women coming out isn't just putting themselves in danger, it's upsetting a whole battalion, because how can soldiers fight a common enemy if they don't like each other, sure there is professionalism, but the army seems to take in the kind of people who lack the mental capacity to do so.

I think they shouldn't be kicked out for it, but they should still keep the don't ask don't tell policy in place, more as a matter of personal safety.

7. Just Adam

your army fights for you the people i dont want an army thats full of such morons that theyre so narrow minded they will abuse and potentially hurt theyre own people jsut cos of sexuality if they do take the people with lack of mental capacity as you say that they cant even get past where your dick goes... then they got no place beeing there cos theyre just a hazard theyr emore likelly to shoot themselves blowing their heads off.... perhaps they need to make the entrance to the army harder thus improving the standard of the soldier ok youll get a slightly smaller army but thats far prefereable if it cuts down on this amount of idiotic narrow minded cannon fodder

usa land of the free equality.. built of slavery and predjudice and the army hundreds of years later is still to spineless to give people the right to be proud of who they are because theyd rather look after the immature feelings the closeminded supporters than gain the support of more left wing liberal people...pfft

8. Just Adam

p.s sos to rant im just sick of the dont ask dont tell trating lgbt as freaks that should be hushed up ashamed of themselves cos red neck numb skulls would be upset....:frowning2:

9. Mr Bojangles

They make up a vast amount of the intake of the army though. Majority rules and all

10. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm, the majority doesn't necessarily rule. If they did then inter-racial marriage, womens rights, and various other rights would not have been given when they were. African Americans serving in the military was once controversial, but to say they wouldn't be allowed to now because of majority opinion would not stand up at all. If that view was kept and wasn't challenged then it could still be like it was 100 years ago, and you are going to upset people when you change something but it's something that has to be done. If you are going to fight for your country then you have the right to do so, but only being able to do that by hiding your identity is a breach of your human rights, which is slightly ironic considering America claims to be all for equality. You cannot say that you are a country that supports equality, and then have blatant discriminatory rules in your armed forces and law. The same goes for any countries, and the sooner the 'majority' accept that the better.

Besides, there is no statistical evidence to suggest this is the majority opinion. At that time it was the majority opinion, but even those who supported it back in 1994 are now against gays having to hide their sexuality. A quoted study found about 200,000 would resign should the ban be repealed, which is not the majority in the armed forces. You also need to consider how many would say that but wouldn't actually do it. I don't think such a ban represents the majority, and this is a case of the opposition being portrayed as the majority side, in the same way that teenagers are portrayed as mostly being rebellious anti-social delinquents (referring to UK media here). We know that not to be true, but you only here about them. The same sorta applies here as 200,000 people threatening to resign is NOT the majority at all, and those who originally agreed with the ban are now against it. That itself creates an entirely different argument.

11. Emberstone

What is funny, democrats do more to support and protect the military personel then the right wing republicans do. The right wing republicans are more vocal, but actually do more to harm to military and veterens.

12. Just Adam

^ nothing new though, i think martin summed this lovelly you cant have a country promoting equality then acting how it does any country not just usa, the DADT policy will have to go and i look forward to it :grin:

13. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Honestly, I think it will be repealed eventually, but DADT is not the top of the list for things to worry about in the US right now. There are other more important things going on that need fixing and attention. Look how much progress has been made on the LGBTQ front. Really.

14. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Word...and when did you turn 20?

15. Mr Bojangles

We in general on this site seem to worry more about the L word than the R word (sorry, confusing and BAD pun)

16. Just Adam

i know there are massive issues at the moment thre recessions the economic downturn across the world and the war in the middle east itself but you cant solve any of that without human rights and equality you cant sort out a countrys finacial problems if your gonna help one people more than another which in society as it is happens the more influencial get treated better and its not fair, in the uk the conservatives are likelly to be our next goverment but they are wanting to give financial insentives for married familys but not same sex couples who are legally married. and fighting in wars traditionally women were always discriminated against and people of different races now sexuality you cant premote democracy and human rights across the world if you cant do it yourself.

17. Emberstone

remeber... if it takes years to repeal DADT, it will take years for the fundie whack jobs to try to get it reinstated. in that time, it can be proven that gays serving openly in the military has no detrimental effect on the ability of regiments to fulfil their duties.

18. Dazed

Dazed Guest

i dislike the army. very much.

how bout we get rid of it all together?

19. Shevanel

How about we invite all of our enemies to invade our country too?

20. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Woohoo! The United States is Canada's at last!