1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Youtube Restricted Mode blocks LGBT+ plus content

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ozma, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I opened Twitter this morning, everything exploded with this. Youtube's restricted mode is blocking almost all videos with LGBT+ related content. Apparently, it's not "family friendly". With some YouTuber's, this makes some sense, but when the majority of videos and Youtubers are getting blocked, this isn't some accident.

Here's a short article about the issue, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

YouTube Is Blocking LGBT Videos In Restricted Mode | NewNowNext

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heard what's going on with Chase Ross, but I don't know if it's affecting anyone else as drastically. It's bullshit on Youtube's part if you ask me.

3. tickabox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, that's because children who watch those videos will become gay themselves or possibly want a sex change. Do people not known that being gay or trans is contracted even by merely watching a video that merely discusses the subject.

Seriously though it's probably YT pandering to the narrow minded idiots out there because god forbid they become offended. YT should really stand up to these people but won't most likely out of fear of losing some advertisers money.

4. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As somebody kind of pointed out in the comments section of this article, YouTube has pretty much streamlined a ton of stuff that comes with flagging or disputing a video for any reason (for example, they have had a huge problem with people flagging and claiming they own the copyright for the video for the sake of screwing with content creators) so a lot of it probably stems from random people flagging this stuff and then just using an automated system to sift through them even though the employees themselves are supposed to do that. I do also kind of think that YouTube isn't doing anything about it because they're afraid of losing out on advertiser money due to 4chan trolling a shit ton on the most recent pro LGBT vid YouTube themselves uploaded and made it become incredibly disliked on the site really fast. Alternatively, they could also just not be commenting on the issue considering the recent pewdiepie controversy.

#4 kibou97, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How controversial.

6. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can see why this is a thing - why they block them. I used to babysit a little boy from the time he was 2 months old to nearly 3 and i have worked at a grocery store part tiem for even longer. Restricted mode, as i see it, is meant for small children. Babysitting that boy and seeing all the local parents come through my line at the store with their kids, i've seen plenty of a particular type of use of restricted mode. One major use of restricted mode is by parents who let their children watch clips on youtube on their phones/ipads/etc - cartoons, mostly. And by children, i mean small children - toddlers and preschoolers at the grocery store where i work, for instance. The toddler i used to babysit, his father would let him use his phone to watch youtube sometimes. THIS is what restricted mode is intended for - parents letting their young children borrow their devices to entertain them and keep them quiet for a short while so they can go grocery shopping, get ready to go to work, drive to wherever they're going, whatever it may be. In these cases, cartoons and family-friendly, G rated content is all these children should have access to which is what restricted mode attempts to provide. So the parent can get whatever it is done without having to listen for potentially inappropriate content being streamed from youtube by their child inadvertently clicking something.

This doesn't mean all LGBT content is gone. Youtubers Troy and Chase - a couples channel - have been talking a lot about this. They tweeted screencaps of their channel from restricted view - many, many videos show up, but not some. I would imagine youtube is using an algorithm to censor things - in other words, videos and channels with certain tags are being automatically censored out. For example, their "why we're separating" video is not shown but their "wedding plans" video is shown. Neither video is inappropriate for children so more than likely, something about the tags they used to describe the video made it get censored out. Here is the link for a picture Chase posted of their channel in restricted mode, which Chase said that he "actually had to indirectly find our channel because we don't show up" on twitter in a tweet - https://twitter.com/ChaseYoungGames/status/843584972875284481

#6 AlexJames, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2017
  7. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I heard of this first from Chase Ross, like others have mentioned, and it's pissing me off. I understand if they don't want to include packer reviews under family-friendly videos, but simple LGBT+ things should not be getting blocked.

8. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But this actually happens :/ kids see all this queer stuff, they see 8 year olds changing their gender and they think "that person seems like me so i must be trans too!" They don't think about how changing their gender, or even transitioning will affect them for the rest of their lives. They just don't see the seriousness of it. LGB content I see no issue with being shown to kids, but stuff about transgender, hormones and surgery is just way to serious for kids to be thinking about when they're young :/ If a kid was truly transgender then they wouldn't need to see trans people all over social media to realise they were trans too. They would realise something was up by themselves.

9. dvxqnc

Probably for one of two reasons

1) YouTube classified large sector of LGBT-related channels as quite sexual in nature/content

2) It was determined that since younger children do not have a concept of sexual attraction they would not have a concept of sexual orientation. To avoid inciting children to research about potentially inappropriate material, LGBT-related channels were blocked.

10. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is why i ALWAYS have restricted mode off.

11. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Considering some of the stuff I've seen marked as "Safe" on YouTube I think it's a little silly. Pretty sure I've seen Nazi propaganda, dissection, pet abuse, and so on slip right past any little filter. Plenty of children scarring material to pick from. Someone saying "Oh look, I'm totally married now!" shouldn't be "worse".

Eh, YouTube's never really been the brightest batch though, and the commenters often manage to surpass that. Plenty of things being deleted over false copyright claims and added back later, people who aren't as vocal just losing their videos. It might be a little management issue.

12. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay one youtube video on the topic later....its based on VIDEO FLAGS. The youtuber found the page describing restricted mode and put it in his video and talked about it. My god can they get any more unreliable! You know how there's the option to flag the video as having age restricted content? That's what the algorithm uses to filter out videos! And people go through flagging videos just for the hell of it all the time! Same for dislikes. This explains why inappropriate content gets through. Youtube really needs to start listening and change the way restricted mode works. Their current response just shoves the concern aside.

13. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is bullshit. It is important that teens have access to information about sex and sexuality and how to cope with things like being different and having mental illness. I don't know where I would be if I had never found GirlfriendsTV or Bria and Chrissy. Watching those channels helped me realize that lesbian relationships could be legit and healthy, while the stereotype around here is that they are party girls or intense feminists.

But, these kinds of videos are being restricted. I heard even make up tutorials by transgender users are being restricted? Wtf youtube.

---------- Post added 20th Mar 2017 at 12:43 PM ----------

Hell yeah man.

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MrCreepyPasta said he's getting stiffed too, which is bullshit.

15. Casey221B

Example of how ridiculous this is:

The band Tegan and Sara (they're both gay) had music videos for their songs Alligator, U-Turn and That Girl blocked on restrictive mode.

In Alligator, they dance and make snow angels in winter coats. In U-Turn, they dance in front of cartoon backgrounds. In That Girl, there is footage from their tour.

How are these videos sensitive? If youtube really wanted to get rid of 'sensitive' LGBTQ+ themed videos, they could block their video for BWU, where Sara goes round proposing to people, and eventually proposes to a woman, or Stop Desire which is basically a video of sexual innuendos.

Those videos really aren't a big issue, but if you were really being nitpicky, those videos certainly have a better case than videos full of dancing.

16. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I saw a video explaining this the other day on youtube. Its not based on something more logical like tags used to describe a video, but on how many flags for potentially age restricted content the video has. You know how you can report a video for content? That's what the restricted mode is based on, apparently. And there's probably tons of people who go around disliking and flagging videos just for the hell of it or cause they disagreed with it.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's hilarious is there are people who probably get paid like 100,000+ USD to write "algorithms" for doing this.

18. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's a bunch of bullshit.
    Some earlier comments about protecting children are as well. Kids don't become gay or trans from watching a video that talks about gay or trans issues. The most that might happen is they would be aware that these people exist and are just other people. That is more than threatening to social conservatives.

#18 Zen fix, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  19. Eyerene

Yeah. Now they're trying to fix the issue because people got mad about it. It makes me "wonder" what their intent was. :dry:

It's almost as if they would have left it that way if people didn't get mad about it. :eusa_doh:

Youtube: "Gay people are a bad influence to children! Violent games and slander are okay though. :icon_bigg" What a joke. :tantrum:

20. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I seriously doubt YouTube is anti-LGBT. YouTube themselves have uploaded pro-LGBT videos and those aren't being filtered by the restricted mode. Like I said, it's probably just people from websites like 4chan abusing their algorithms when it comes to flagging videos (They aren't supposed to be using an automated system for that but with the amount of video that gets uploaded to YouTube daily, there's no way they're using real people to look at whats being flagged). Their algorithms are also always garbage though and it's gotten them in a lot of shit for a while now (their broken copyright claiming algorithms as well as their broken algorithms for actually notifying people that the channels they're subbed to have uploaded videos for example). Also keep in mind that this is also happening to a ton of other videos that are just as innocent but don't relate to LGBT topics.

#20 kibou97, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017