1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News ASD ADHD and GD

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Cadi04, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Cadi04

#1 Cadi04, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it is true that gender dysphoria and autism spectrum disorders are overrepresented in correlation. However, correlation does not necessitate causation and there are other theories as to why this is the case.

Essentially, the jest of this article is saying "people on the autism spectrum, or who have ADHD, are confused about their gender because of the symptoms of their mental conditions." What the article fails to address is (a) whether 'real' trans people exist who don't have ASD and (b) whether the conditions can coexist.

As to whether people with no mental conditions can be transgender, the answer is overwhelmingly yes. There is even scientific evidence to assert that the brain patterns and innate gender prefererences of trans-people tend toward the sex they identify as, even before HRT. So it isn't ASD and ADHD that causes GD.

Second, I think of course doctors should be careful when dealing with dysphoric youth and children. I read somewhere that around 3/4 cases of GD resolves itself by adulthood. But if someone, even someone with a preexisting mental condition, is still experiencing significant dysphoria by adulthood, they should be allowed to pursue transition. It is not impossible to state that they can occur together, especially considering how little we truly know about gender in the brain. And when you don't have all the information yet in neuroscience, you have to pursue psychological answers.

Transitioning works. There are many well-adjusted trans people who are living much happier lives for it. I am sure there are even some who have ASD. What I don't get is why these people are so dead set on controlling the lives of people they don't know, with experiences they don't share. I wish they'd leave us the fuck alone and let the doctors do their jobs.

This is coming from a trans guy with ASD who definitely intends to transition.

3. Cadi04

I love the way you write. Wish I could write like this. People should be healthy and happy and if we are not hurting anyone, I don't see the problem.