1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Jaheem Herrera

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Phantasma, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Phantasma

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...ing_decatur.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

"A crowd of about 60 gathered Tuesday night at the DeKalb home of Jaheem Herrera to remember the fifth-grader who committed suicide last week. The 11-year-old boy hanged himself at his home after — according to his family — relentless bullying at Dunaire Elementary School.

Masika Bermudez, the boy’s mother, spoke briefly at the vigil that started about 7 p.m.

After a short prayer, Bermudez told friends and parents to make sure their children understand that whatever problems they have “don’t be afraid to talk to your mother.”

As Bermudez spoke, she clung to two daughters — Ny’irah, 7 and Yerralis, 10. Yerralis discovered her brother’s body last Thursday after school.

“His sister was screaming, ‘Get him down, get him down,’” said Norman Keene, Jaheem’s stepfather.

When Keene got to the room, he saw Yerralis holding her brother, trying to remove the pressure of the noose her brother had fashioned with a fabric belt.

“It’s heartbreaking,” said Jennifer Errion, assistant director of student support services, prevention-intervention for DeKalb schools.

DeKalb County schools have programs in place to combat the types of bullying and violence that may have led to Jaheem’s death, but a Errion acknowledged the prevention program is “not a vaccine.”

Two years ago, DeKalb public schools adopted an anti-bullying program called “No Place for Hate,” she said. The program, sponsored by the Anti-Defamation League, helps train faculty and students on accepting differences, promoting diversity and inclusion.

“We’ve created the idea that bullying is a rite of passage, and I don’t think it is,” said Errion.

At the vigil, the mother of Jaheem’s best friend relayed a story from Jaheem’s last day.

“Jaheem asked if anyone would miss him if he wasn’t here,” said Alice Brown, mother of Jaheem’s 10-year-old classmate A.J. “[A.J.] told him ‘He was his friend and he would miss him.’ “

Keene said the family knew the boy was a target of bullies, but until his death they didn’t understand the scope.

“They called him gay and a snitch,” his stepfather said. “All the time they’d call him this.”

Earlier this month the suicide of a Massachusetts boy, Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover — who suffered taunts that he was gay — attracted national attention.

He was also 11. His mother found him hanging from an extension cord in the family’s home.

Bermudez also said her son was being bullied at school. She said she had complained to the school.

School officials won’t discuss allegations that bullying may have contributed to the boy’s suicide. Davis said Tuesday morning that officials are legally unable to comment on student-related records, such as whether the school had received complaints that Jaheem was being bullied.

The family has hired an attorney"

Absolutely heartbreaking. 11 years old. 11. I can't believe another innocent 11 year old is gone because of this kind of bullying.

#1 Phantasma, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Just Adam

this is so sad the poor guy and that family :frowning2: sick world

3. Zac4

ya the kids mom was on the news here saying she'd been complaining to the school about the bullying n they wouldnt do anythin. she said even the nieghbor girls were hard on him callin him gay cuz he was singing and dancing to hana montana cd in his room with windows open and they heard him. so it wasnt just at school all the fuckin kids were tearing him up . n no 1 would do anything.
    very sad

4. Bunny

Siiigh.

Even if kids realized the damage that they do by bullying, they probably wouldn't care.

5. Emberstone

do we know if either of these kids actually were gay?

If they arnt, this show another facet of the problem. If they are, it doesnt change the tragedy of it, but if they arent, it shows that the homophobic, anti gay agenda is still indoctrinated into the very young.

6. GhostDog

God, this is so sick. :frowning2:

RIP, little guy. You deserved so, so much better.

Why do people teach their kids to hate, and so young? It's just... ugh.

Ugh.

7. Emberstone

because for people like that, it is easier to hate others, then to see the flaws in themselves.

Thats the fundementalist chirstian/republican way. Hate is okay because obviously, as a fundementalist chirstian/republican, you are automaticly better then everyone else. Thats why they are the first to sin, and the last to admit it *most never will*

that is why chirstians get such a bad name in america these days, because there are some nasty, vulger people claiming to be christians while raping their children, beating their wives, and spreading homophobic hate.

8. Mickey

Wow. I can't even imagine what his family is going through.
    I hope the school is held responsible,especially since the mom complained about the bullying and nothing was done. Eleven years old,omg. What a sad and sickening thing to have happened.

9. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I saw this too the other day, and his mom was on Ellen. It's all very sad. :frowning2:

10. Ronnie92

Rest in Peace :frowning2:

11. HeartBroken

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I can speak for Jaheem to say no he wasn't. Jaheem's mother is my husbands cousin. REGARDLESS of ANYONES sexual orientation, people should not be hated on! Children can be so hateful at times. We are all truly sadness by Jaheem's death.

12. kettleoffish

This is truly terrible. RIP.

13. Ben

Ben

I'm so sorry for your and your family's loss. :frowning2: It's just an awful thing to have happened...

14. riddlerno1

This is so sad. Another young life.:icon_sad: