1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The Battle of Berkeley

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Simple Thoughts, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Simple Thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2mOqQoFeQ

So apparently quite the fight broke out between Antifa and what I assume is the alt-right. I'm not really too surprised Antifa was only going to be able going around punching people, breaking property, and burning things for so long before the opposition started doing the same thing and now we've escalated to fights on the streets.

I want to be clear I'm on neither side with this. I'm against violence, and I don't think trading blows out on the streets and throwing smoke bombs is the way to solve problems. This is just making the problem worse. I feel like things just keep on escalating more and more and more and now we're inching ever closer to some kind of civil war and at the same time we're inching ever closer to world war...

No matter where you look things have just gotten so chaotic.

2. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am against violence as well as the inciting of ethnic or racial hatred against any specific group of people no matter which side it comes from.

#2 KyleD, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I too have little respect for either side. Trading blows in the streets over opinions is not admirable; it's a sign of the current pathetic state of discourse and the increasingly divided political climate of our nation.

At the same time, an eruption in Berkeley does not mean we're headed for a Civil War. It's no secret that Berkeley is one of the most strongly left-wing cities in the United States. People from out of state came to the city yesterday to stage a right-wing demonstration in Berkeley, knowing that the local anti-fa groups would respond the way they did. It was meant to be provocative and it was meant to elicit a reaction (perhaps even a violent one).

This kind of "baiting" is not necessarily reflective of the rest of the country. There were numerous other anti-Trump marches held yesterday and they did not lead to the violence that occurred in Berkeley.

#3 Libertino, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  4. Simple Thoughts

Well if you remember this isn't the first Antifa riot. The riots have been going on for awhile in various places. I think during the women's march after Trump was inaugurated there was a buch of Antifa rioting. When Milo gave his speech Antifa rioted, and now the other side is battling Antifa in the streets...I know this is only the first fight like this so it's too early to really speculate, but it seems like all the choas and violence has only increased and increased over the years.

We had occupy which was largely peaceful protests, then we had the protests after Trayvon Martin which were mostly peaceful from what I remember, then a few more cases like Trayvon's happened and we started to see riots break out, then riots sort of became expected everytime a newstory about the police shooting an unarmed black man happened, then BLM showed up and there were even more riots than before...then Trump happened and Antifa was born...I've only seen escalation upon escalation upon escalation...it seems like we're getting worse and worse with no signs of winding down.

5. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I don't like violence but given that Anifa has a recent history of property damage and violence I am slightly amused if they got themselves some broken noses.

6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people