1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Survivor Contestant Outs Another Contestant as Transgender to Paint Him as Deceitful

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PlantSoul, Apr 16, 2017.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
  2. Simple Thoughts

Re: Survivor Contestant Outs Another Contestant as Transgender to Paint Him as Deceit

Those reality shows are scripted so honestly some executive came up with the idea to add drama to the series. Still kind of stupid though. Don't know what they were thinking.

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Survivor Contestant Outs Another Contestant as Transgender to Paint Him as Deceit

If it's scripted, it must be an elaborate script, considering that Jeff Varner was fired from his real estate firm today (the season of the show was recorded months ago). Unless that is also part of the "conspiracy"? I don't know. I don't watch reality TV.

Either way, outing someone is a very low move, whether or not it's on national TV (and the implication that trans people are inherently deceitful is even worse). Because it was not live and they decided to air it anyway, however, Zeke must have approved it in some way.

#3 Libertino, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  4. Simple Thoughts

Eh they're all fake, but that doesn't change the fact that this guy's face is associated with what happened and that's bad PR for the real estate firm.

I don't buy into the reality shows at all. I remember on "The Real World" they hired therapists to work with all the people on the show and then feed them back the info so they knew who to put into situations together to make fights more likely to break out.

That's distracting from the point though...

That is a pretty messed up thing to do, but assuming that it wasn't pre-planned or staged in anyway the guy seemed genuinely apologetic about what happened and made steps to better himself as a person.

#4 Simple Thoughts, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Scripted or not that was fucked up in so many ways...

6. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

If it was scripted...he should have torn up the script!!! It made him look bad and the fact that he outed someone else was in really poor taste anyway

7. Simple Thoughts

Agreed.

Definitely in poor taste, and highly messed up.

8. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

This definitely wasn't scripted. I watch Survivor and Zeke wasn't out to anyone on the show until Jeff Varner outed him. Zeke wrote a piece for The Hollywood Reporter about his experience. It definitely was not planned via a script from production.

The worst part of this tribal council was how Jeff Varner kept calling him deceitful because he didn't tell everyone he is transgender. The reaction of Zeke's tribemates' though was really great.

9. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I don't give a fuck it's scripted because people are dumb and they're gonna think it's okay.

10. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thankfully his tribemates reacted really quickly saying it's NOT ok to ever out someone. They were crying about how terrible it was and yelling. Not one tribemate was defending the asshole who outed Zeke. They defended Zeke 100%. Even the host was calling out Jeff Varner on his bullshit.

In case you all don't know, Jeff Varner is a gay man. Ironic huh.

The Survivor fans were all pissed off. I don't think most people thought it was ok at all. There are probably some people who think it's ok but for the most part, it's seen as a very awful and asshole move. Jeff Varner has received a lot of hate and even lost his job over it so I assure you, no one thinks this was ok. Outside of the Survivor fandom, there are people who are angry about it too.

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2017 at 06:19 PM ----------

And you can tell it was a legitimate, real moment because everyone reacted very genuinely. Zeke looked shocked. One of the people said it was a malicious attack on Zeke. He didn't want the world to know him as the "transgender Survivor player."

Varner has apologized and I don't think he should have lost his job but clearly what he did was wrong.

'Survivor': Zeke Smith Outed as Transgender | Guest Column | Hollywood Reporter

Zeke's take on the outing is in that article.

#10 midwestgirl89, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

How rude.

12. Re: Survivor Contestant Outs Another Contestant as Transgender to Paint Him as Deceit

Jeff's always been an asshole. That's just his personality.

13. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

It sucks that he would say something like that in attempt to paint someone as deceitful. Kind of stupid, too. How does being transgendered mean someone is deceitful? This guy thinks that and that sucks.

But...why did the TV show publish the footage? Why not just delete the footage of him saying what he said, and never air it? Was it live?
    I don't remember the article saying it was live. If it was not live, the producers had just as much to do with outing him as the guy who said it.

Luckily for the news companies reporting this, it is likely attracting a lot of attention, and everyone involved is rolling in cash.

14. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I watched the clip a couple days ago and my heart dropped. That's practically my worst nightmare come true, the poor guy. If he was stealth back home then that dick could have potentially ruined so many relationships with people. You just don't do that to a person no matter what they've done to you. Outing someone is never okay.

15. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

I saw the video recently. I was so horrified for Zeke. The look on his face pained me. I felt like crying. It was nice to see his fellow contestants and the host stand up for him.

---------- Post added 4th May 2017 at 02:15 AM ----------

I recently watched the video. I have to agree. It was so horrible especially, seeing the look on his face. I wanted to cry for him. I hope no one reacts violently toward him now that they know.

---------- Post added 4th May 2017 at 02:16 AM ----------

I recently watched the video too. I have to agree. It was so horrible especially, seeing the look on his face. I wanted to cry for him. I hope no one reacts violently toward him now that they know.

---------- Post added 4th May 2017 at 02:16 AM ----------

I recently watched the video too. I have to agree. It was so horrible especially, seeing the look on his face. I wanted to cry for him. I hope no one reacts violently toward him now that they know.

---------- Post added 4th May 2017 at 02:20 AM ----------

Sorry this went through 3x. I'm on mobile. It's too much of a pain to even try editing this.

16. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

They probably asked Zeke (the transgender) what he would prefer. And they just couldn't not air it and finish the episode without showing what happened. They didn't even had a regular, secret vote this time.

#16 MCairo, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017