Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Current Events, World News, & LGBT News

Current Events, World News, & LGBT News A news forum for posting and discussing news topics regarding the latest breaking news, stories from around the world, and any LGBT related news updates that you and others may find interesting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th May 2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Bringing the laughs since 1999 :)

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Some people

Chelsea Manning released from prison

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....rison.amp.html
Old 17th May 2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Comes with a side of sass

Out Status: 2 family members, and 1 friend

Re: Chelsea Manning released from prison

The citizens have a right to that information. Honestly, I think she did the right thing by giving the documents to WikiLeaks.
DementedTrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 07:46 PM   #3
Sometimes quiet is violent
Community Facilitator

Orientation: Queer (biromantic/panromantic gray-a)
Out Status: No longer lurking in the shadows.

Tournaments Won: 4

I'm glad to heae that she has been released. Now she can be the woman that she is. She was being held in an all male prison, with limited access to transitional care.

BradTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 03:06 AM   #4
Galactic Hitchiker

Orientation: Pan and Poly
Out Status: Out to everyone

Not to mention she had double the of any other length prison sentance for whistleblowing - 7 years compared to 3-5. Not to mention she was sentanced to 35 years! Much of these 7 years were spent in solitary confinement, despite that being linked to greatly increased suicide risk and her spending the first few months in prison on suicide watch.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not. We never are. But thatís not the right question. The question is are we living a life that is worth the harm?" - Cecil Gershwin Palmer, Welcome to Night Vale
Im Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 07:16 AM   #5
Hi, my name's Alex!

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Not out at all

I agree i think if she saw something that was wrong, took it, and spoke up about it, i agree with that. But the most significant memory i have regarding her is my mom's reaction when i mentioned my opinion of her to her in the car. Idk how i even started the conversation but i did and my mom's reaction was immediate - "You know he's really a guy, right?" And i was taken aback because honestly, i really forgot she'd been born a guy and went under transition in jail. I just remembered what she'd done. Mom went on and i kind of nodded and continued what i'd been saying, still referring to her as Chelsea and a girl. To say the least, i had to drop the conversation about that.

My mom would flip and kick me out if she just found out i was gay let alone if she found out too that i was interested in bulking up a bit, cutting my hair to a gender neutral haircut, calling myself Alex, and buying a binder so i can dress as a boy sometimes.

Last edited by LunarLyric; 18th May 2017 at 07:17 AM..
LunarLyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 12:28 PM   #6
EC Addict

Out Status: Out to family and others who ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedTrendz View Post
The citizens have a right to that information. Honestly, I think she did the right thing by giving the documents to WikiLeaks.
Some of the leaks were in the best interest of society, but she leaked a lot more than just the disgusting video "Collateral murder." She indiscriminately leaked hundreds of thousands of other documents, which probably endangered some lives. For this reason, I think she deserved some prison, but the 35 year sentence was very harsh considering the circumstances. I'm glad she received some leniency from Obama, and I hope her the best from here on out.

Last edited by BobObob; 19th May 2017 at 12:29 PM..
BobObob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Threadstarter

She shouldn't have been sentenced to jail at all. In fact they should've rewarded her with cash. She had a right to leak all those emails it was in society's best interest if you ask me.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:46 PM   #8
Red Mage Syndrome

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Out to some

Oh hey, positive news for once. That doesn't happen very much.

It's still been quite some time, and it's a honestly a mess enough outside of jail.
Much less an all male prison. Seven years is still quite some time to spend for something that ought to be considered a favor.

At least it's over I suppose, though I can't imagine her ever recovering from that.
Old 20th May 2017, 12:13 AM   #9
EC Addict

Out Status: Only "milestones" are parents and work.

One thing that's always seemed a bit of a "tell" about ms. Manning, is just how fast certain people want to bring up her gender identity, even when it doesn't matter. If what she did was so bad, why fall back on an insistence on pronouns?
CyclingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 06:47 AM   #10
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingFan View Post
One thing that's always seemed a bit of a "tell" about ms. Manning, is just how fast certain people want to bring up her gender identity, even when it doesn't matter. If what she did was so bad, why fall back on an insistence on pronouns?
Yeah and if she had to go to jail, she should have been put in a women's prison.
Old 20th May 2017, 08:06 PM   #11
Well Known

Out Status: A few people

I don't think this really classifies as LGBT news just because the person involved is trans. And I'm proud for Chelsea.
Tritri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 10:21 PM   #12
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritri View Post
I don't think this really classifies as LGBT news just because the person involved is trans. And I'm proud for Chelsea.
I was a little torn whether or not to put it under general news or lgbt news but you know what she is trans and she was in jail and was stuck in a men's prison so I decided to put it under lgbt news and I know you're okay with that.
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM   #13
Threadstarter

I'm really glad Obama let her out. Without him she would still be in jail.