1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Gay Suicide :(

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dewey, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Dewey

On April 6, Sirdeaner Walker came home, walked up the stairs to the second floor of her home, and saw her son suspended from a support beam in the stairwell, swaying slightly in the air, an extension cord wrapped around his neck, according to police. He apologized in a suicide note, told his mother that he loved her, and left his video games to his brother. Walker said her son had been the victim of bullying since the beginning of the school year, and that she had been calling the school since September, complaining that her son was mercilessly teased. He played football, baseball, and was a boy scout, but a group of classmates called him gay and teased him about the way he dressed. They ridiculed him for going to church with his mother and for volunteering locally.

News Report:
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dplCyCvv5s[/YOUTUBE]

Interview on Ellen with Mother:
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPnirxtIUO8[/YOUTUBE]

2. GhostDog

Agh, what the hell?

What the hell?

This is so heartbreaking.

Ugh.

3. manoverboard09

Kids are so brutal, it's far from funny.
    Now a days kids just push it too far.. they don't realize how bad words really do hurt.
    But you know, people only talk badly about other people to make themselves feel good.
    Wonder how they felt after he committed suicide? Hopefully they suffered.. guess kids can't use that whole "i'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say bounces off to me and sticks to you"!

Very sad story.

4. littledinosaurs

As important as it is to post this part of me wishes you didn't
    =\

5. TheRoof

this is horrible...so sad :frowning2:

6. Eccentric

This is...wow...he was just eleven.

7. Dewey

what sucks is that they use gay as a way to say someone is inferior to them. Kinda shows how society as a whole subconsciously thinks of homosexuality. The world 'Faggot' is like the word modern version of the word, 'Ni**er'. I hope people will start to change the way they think :<

8. Dazed

Dazed Guest

9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

This is heartbreaking :frowning2:

I thought it was interesting that the mother didn't show a lot of emotion in the first interview...although some people hold in feelings or don't feel mourning for a while after the loss in which they have.

10. Dewey

yeah, noticed that too. i think she is strong though because she's not just giving up. I think she wants to put on a tough face for her son.

11. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

This is terrible.

There HAS to be a change in this fucking intolerant world, but the sad thing is that this case will probably elicit just a few 'oh, poor thing' from the Media but no more than that.

12. Mickey

I'm so sad for this little boy and his family. I agree with Ellen,there needs to be some kind of tolerance class in ALL schools starting with nursery school. I know about this first-hand, as I quit high school due to harassment.

13. djt820

These kinds of stories remind me of how stupid humanity has gotten.

14. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

That is so horrible. I agree with djt80...

15. Eleanor Rigby

This is so sad. This kid could have been my pupill. I don't know what I would do if one of my pupills commited suicide. I would feel awfully guilty.

16. Just Adam

i feel so low right now this poor family i despise children at times theyre so patheritc and small minded bullying a person jsut cos how they dress its horrid.

i now have tears in my eyes :frowning2:

17. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Kids can be cruel, but let's not forget that ultimately adults are the ones who directly or indirectly pass their prejudice on to their children.

18. STK

STK Guest

Part of me thinks that bullies should get the death penalty. Yeah...

19. Rygirl

What gets me the most is that he was ELEVEN years old! I mean most kids have barely started dating then, how would he even know if he was gay or not.
    He was just a sweet, polite, nice little boy, there seems to be a misconception nowadays that men have to be tough and rough, bahh, bring back chivalry.

20. tm74

tm74 Guest

We don't even know if the kid was gay - whether he was or not is not the point - kids still use "gay" as a insult, as a put-down... I was a victim of bullying at school myself (a very long time ago now - the put-down of choice back then was "spaz" - implying below average intelligence, or that the person is what we would now describe as mentally handicapped, or downs-syndrome, etc)

I sufferred. Back then, schools didn't have anti-bullying strategies, they didn't deal with this kind of this well. I don't know if they still do. I hated school.

I don't know what the authorities will do, racial slurs are unacceptable, so the kids have moved onto using "gay" - when the world reaces the point where being gay or straight is seen to "not matter" in the way that the colour of your skin doesn't matter any more (at least, *shouldn't* matter any more - I know it still does in places) - the kids will just find a new insult... maybe religion is next...

My thoughts go out to his family... let's hope lessons can be learnt.