1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School can expel students for being gay...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Martin, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One step forward, two steps back. :dry:

I would count myself lucky if I got expelled from that school. They sound like a bunch of morons if they're invading the students privacy and using such personal information as an excuse to boot them. Tis ridiculous. :confused:

2. Derek the Wolf

I would risk getting thrown out of my school if some of the administration found out I was with another guy. It's in the nature of going to a military academy. I know it's bullshit but to me it's not all that surprising. Just sad.

3. BeautifulStranger

Well, look
    That was a private RELIGIOUS school.

That shit would not fly at a public school.

4. Rygirl

Hey, my school is a state school and SERIOUSLY catholic. I doubt you could get chucked out for being gay but you sure as hell would be tormented until you wanted to leave, I mean we have to say prayer in morning and sing hymn's about how great god is. I'm sure there are a few closeted gay's here who are too scared to come out because of the atmosphere.

5. Greggers

I dont care what school it was.

How DAMAGING to these girls would it be to get kicked out of a school you possibly attended for years, were all your friends were, the place you went every day of the week, you knew all the teachers, it almost felt like home. Then BAM! "Oh sorry, your gay? Yea, bye bye". Thats just re-enforcing on these girls that its bad to be gay. Its teaching them bad lessons, VERY un-Christian (assuming this was a Christian school) lessons. Maybe these girls dealt with it fine, but had it been someone less secure? These things can cause suicide in teens with already low self-esteem as it is. Highschool is your entire world at that age, so when its torn away from you just like that? It must be horrible.

6. Dazed

Dazed Guest

most private schools can pretty much expel who they want. or that is what my history teacher told me.

7. BeautifulStranger

I never said it was an excuse.
    I meant that it's not surprising judging by what type of school it is.

8. Mickey

UGH! That's friggen horrible! The only good I see,is,they won't be subjected to anymore homophobic bullshit if they go to a public school. This is just so wrong.

9. Just Adam

what a load of shit these places shouldent ba allowed on basic human rights as they are effectivly a law on to themselves it seems how they treat people :frowning2: sickos

if i was her i would walk into the main gathering infront of all pupils and teachers and snog the other girl tottaly piss them off lol

i agree martin allthough it feels like 3 steps back

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And to think I used to be a Boy Scout...

11. olides84

I think this is exactly what happened to EC member Noah. He posted about it recently. These ultra-conservative religious schools can do what they want, that's their freedom of religion. As long as my tax dollars don't benefit them in ANY way. That's what has really hurt the Boy Scouts; they can discriminate all they want, but in a lot of places the government no longer gives them free meeting space or other things because they don't follow the law.

Like Martin said, I think those girls are better off elsewhere than still being brainwashed by the ignorant bullshit of that school.

12. Apocalypte

My secondary school was similar - there was no way I could have come out while I was in school. Between the attitudes of the administration and the other students, it's a thoroughly crap place to be queer (and/or atheist).

:bang:

Oddly enough, my sister goes to the same school and loves it.

13. Lucky Panda

In most public schools, the handbook given out in the beginning of the year states that no child shall be discriminated against anything that might be used to seperate or alienate them from the rest of the school. Something similar to this happened to me. My spanish teacher, Mr. Fitzgerald, was fired after he pin-pointed me out of the rest of his students for being gay, then began to grade me harsher and even mis-graded my semester final. We didn't take any legal issues, my mom (who works for the school) took it to the district attendant and threatened to press charges. The school board, in order to save their butts, fired the teacher and promised something like this should never happen again. The handbook used to specificly state "religion, race, sex, nationality, etc..." should not be a factor of education, nowadays, it's been revised to "religion, race, sex, nationality, sexuality, etc..." I guess they needed to specify it for people to understand it was supposed to be counted under "etc." xD

14. Just Adam

sounds like that teacher was an ass and im glad it got handed to him. did your stuff get regraded and fair marks given afterwards?

also is it just me who looks at that discrimination stuff in the books and gets angry cos i know its there to reasure but it just makes me think it shouldent be needed.

15. littledinosaurs

Private School = Their own rules.
    Don't like it? don't go to one.
    it's their right to kick people out for what ever reason they wish.

16. Greggers

Its not as easy as "dont like it? dont go to one".

I went to a private school, but you think i wanted to or it was my choice? Parents wanted me to go, that was the end of that. Its a common theme for alot of kids. You can also choose to go and then find out your gay after the fact, after your settled in.

I wish it was as easy as just "not going".

17. littledinosaurs

You can't be mad at an institution founded on its own values and expelling kids for going against those values. If you made a school for gay people only and you found out one kid was going there for the benefits but was straight and he got kicked out i doubt you'd be mad.
    it's a sad case but it's their right. If their high school experience was that important to them that they can't handle losing it then that would go under the category of "its dangerous for me to come out so i should stay in"
    honest truth. :/ sounds bad but i stand by it, that school upheld its integrity (in their eyes anyways)

(If you want your right to do whatever you want in your private life then let
    the schools have their right do whatever they want in their private school
    ) I hope that made more sense?

#17 littledinosaurs, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  18. Greggers

Very true, all im saying is the kids often dont HAVE a choice in going or not.

...and i dont think these are "schools for straight people" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: just "people"

19. littledinosaurs

When to come out is a choice. It's their fault for choosing a risky time. :/

20. Shevanel

Jarrett is completely right because I went to a Private Catholic School and the rules were the rules, we had strict uniform regulations including hair length and shaving rules. Sure I hated them but I had to deal with them like everyone else.

The thing about this, I have a feeling that what happened here is that they must've been caught doing a PDA or something in school, I doubt its just about their homosexuality entirely. Come on people, the news is always going to blow things out of proportion and be one sided. Always.

Also: PDA's aren't ever appropriate in school, especially private schools. it doesn't matter if you're gay or not, you got in serious trouble at my school for any type of PDA. It is really simple to just get a room and do things outside of school. Seriously

#20 Shevanel, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009