1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest on US marriage equality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, May 5, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I felt it necessary to open a new thread. Over the past few weeks we have welcomed Iowa and Vermont in welcoming marriage equality. There is some exciting movement in other areas of the country as well:

Washington, D.C.- council voted to allow recognition of same-sex marriages performed in other states and the mayor will most likely sign this into law. While it will not allow for marriages to be performed here, it is a small step forward (it will have a similar rule as New York currently has).

New York- marriage equality legislation is expected to be introduced soon. In the Assembly it is attracting bipartisan support and definitely has traction there. In the Senate it has a little more uncertainty, but supporters say it has the support needed. The Governor has introduced it so it obviously will be signed into law if passed.

Maine- Passed the Senate, then the House, it must be finalized in the Senate on Wednesday before moving to the Governor. It still risks a veto by the governor or calls for a referendum.

New Hampshire- As with Maine, it has passed both legislative chambers, it must go be voted again on Wednesday by the House to accommodate amendments. It is expected to pass. The only unclear thing is whether or not Governor Lynch will veto the bill expanding marriage equality.

This is only the beginning people and the tide of discrimination in this country is starting to change.

#1 BitterEdge, May 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
  2. Just Adam

ive got the riot on hold in the hope this all passes smoothely

3. Nodnarb

Another big week for marriage equality:grin:

I've read that there are some good signs that Governor Baldacci should sign the bill in Maine. However, it will likely be put to a vote this November, before any couples are able to get married. Polls show it's about 50/50 in Maine right now.

In NH, I've also read that it may be likely that Governor Lynch will not sign the bill, but won't veto it either, allowing it to still become law and keeping him from having to take a real stance on the issue.

4. crimsonarcher

california will issue its desicion on prop 8's validity any day now. Fingers crossed!

5. Mickey

Yay! The one thing I hate,though,is putting it on a ballot so people can vote on it.
    NOBODY should have the right to vote on anyone's life! That majority rules crap is so stupid and outdated. That is another thing that needs to change.

6. DexterMorgan

Well, it's going to take away the sanctity of millions of heterosexual marriages right?

7. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Of course, we all know how marriages are in this society. Only 50 percent end in divorce... sometimes the claim it destroys marriage instead of strengthening a dying institution is beyond me.

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

MAINE!!!!!!! Governor Balducci of Maine signed the marriage equality bill into law today making it the fifth state to do so. That's 10 percent of all states people, talk about progress. It's also the 2nd state to do so by legislative means.

9. Blondie

Blondie Guest

Love it I am from Maine and hope to go back

10. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I'm still waiting on the results of New Hampshire vote and governor's reaction, I have final at 3:30 for Baroque Art History, but hopefully it goes well.

11. Nodnarb

Thank you Governor Baldacci! I'd like to welcome Maine to the proud list of states with marriage equality:grin:

The marriage equality bill is being deabted on the floor of the New Hampshire House of Representatives right now. It's quite boring, but I have a link below if anybody would like to watch/listen.

NH House

12. Nodnarb

It's being voted on in the NH House right now!!! Not clear whether it will pass, but I have a bad feeling. Let's hope I'm wrong.

13. Nodnarb

It passed 178-167!!!!!:grin:

Now it's up to Governor Lynch. I don't expect him to do anything, allowing it to become law in five days!

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So exciting! Things are moving really fast right now. I LOVE IT! California just HAS to do the right thing! Keeping my fingers crossed!

15. EM68

We are making progress!!!

16. DexterMorgan

Is this really happening!!!?:eusa_clap

17. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Bill is still sitting on Governor Lynch of NH desk. Apparently opponents are spending alot of money on an ad campaign to try to thwart the governor from signing it and veto it. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

18. Emberstone

I just hope govener doesnt live up to his surname namesake.

I think oregon just has a domestic partnership law, but that even if doesnt equal full equal rights yet. I always thought californa would lead the way... but then the mormon church, which got to big for its breeches when it started a movement within the church that stated you only get into heaven if you sire a large family, interfered to destory the possiblity of wonderful familys for future children.

19. Nodnarb

I think it's a good sign that he hasn't done anything after one day. If he were going to sign it/veto it, I think he would have just gotten it over with and done it today to get the pressure off of him.

Another thing to think about; if he does veto it, there aren't enough votes in the NH legislature to override the veto like what happened in Vermont. I think Governor Douglas vetoed the bill in Vermont because he knew he would be overruled, so he was able to please his base without getting his opponents too angry. I expect Governor Lynch will be very reluctant to go against the legislature.

20. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Well hopefully he doesn't veto it would be a political career killer since more then 55 percent of the state supports the bill, the legislature approved it as well. He would be smart to sign and if he really disagrees just let it stand.