1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why it is important to be out.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by starfish, May 6, 2009.

1. starfish

I'm sure everyone has heard about Maine passing a law allowing same sex marriage. There is technology forum that I frequent and the topic came up in the chit chat section. Of the thousands of regular posters there is about 50 of us that are openly gay. In the marriage thread someone posted this.

Just think we are people on an anonymous internet forum that he has never met in real life. Imagine how powerful the effect is when we are their friends, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, mothers and fathers.

I'm not saying we all need to go running around with pride flags. Just let people know we are a person just like they are.

2. Greggers

Were is the "Greggers likes this:thumbsup:" button?

Well, i do, good point here :slight_smile:

3. GhostDog

That's so awesome!

M-maybe if I keep seeing this stuff, it'll kick me the rest of the way out of this here closet. >.<

4. kettleoffish

That's pretty amazing actually. I know a few friends of mine have certainly changed tack. There's even a neo-nazi-esque guy who has always talked to me, and since finding out I was gay (and half Jewish) he's certainly changed the way he talks a lot, which is nice.

5. Miles D

-Harvey Milk

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

6. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

good point, the majority of those opposed to gay marriage don't know a single gay person.

7. Noah

If the importance to the movement is not enough, think of the importance to yourself. Living a pretend life is not living at all.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for sharing that starfish! Its very important to be out not only for gay rights but also for yourself!

9. Emberstone

but always gush about having gay friends, but cant give you any more information beyond that to prove it.

10. Just Adam

are we refering to the sarah palin super friends club and theyre so called " gay " friends they take pitty on by associating with tmen :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.... dam horrid people

11. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

hahaha super Palin to the rescue... my ex loved her, I question if he is actually gay....hahahaha

12. But I don't want to be out.

13. acorn7

I think it's also important to be out for gays and lesbians who have yet to come out or even accept themselves. One of the reasons it took me a really long time to just realise I was gay is I didn't know anyone close to me who was, and so I couldn't imagine myself being "one of those".

The more visible we are, the more people will realise we're cool, normal people.

14. This very point is what I tell my mother when I explain to her that I wanna come out but she's scared and refuses to let go.

15. starfish

When I came out to my parents, how others will react came up.

I told them I can't allow fear of how others will react control how I live my life, anymore than one show can not allow fear of being mugged stop them from walking down the street.

16. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Or they don't think they know a single gay person- but we're quite literally all over the place.

17. Alex19

we're spreadin like wild fire! lol
    but yea, thats so cool. and i believe that this will continue to happen among the heteros. equality, here we come.

18. Rygirl

I'm another example of someone whose opinion has been completely turned around.
    I've never really been into guys, but I never realised why because I lead such a closed life. I wasn't against gays at all I just didn't know the first thing about them, then when my two best friends came out to me my eyes were opened, and over time, I have not only learned a lot about them but about myself, like why I had no desire to go out with a guy at all.
    The point is if my closest friends hadn't come out to me then I would still be ignorant about them and myself and living that closed, cut off life that my mother wanted for me.

19. CrystalCat

I've come out to random people, and i must say its liberating. I even accidentally came out to one of my teachers when i asked her to sign a petition to form a gsa for my shcool. It does make you more visible and people more aware.
    And funny situations like this:
    -spanish class last year, doing our speaking portion outside with my teacher-
    Senora : Just describe what you would like to find in your perfect boyfrie......... OR girlfriend, yeaaa girlfriend
    Me: uhmmm.................

20. Just Adam

im not sure if beeing fully out is good or not today just watched the news a church minister openlly gay with his partner just granted new position and the church people local congrigation thingy are all haveing a vote now wether to kick out or not they had a guy on talking saying the bible always lookes at homosexuality in a negative way its wrong for anyone... when asked does that include ministers he replyed all christians and gave the proudest most gringe worthy smug grin ever like he was so fantastic..... i felt sickened it just shows how the church wants to be thought of when they go public with these opinions