1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Parents?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lucky Panda, May 9, 2009.

1. Lucky Panda

I came across this while researching something on yahoo. It just so happened to be the highlighted event, and I couldn't help but look to see what was inside. The following is only a small amount of the whole ordeal.

When I read that, I immediately stomped my foot in opposition. Of course, I know that everyone has their own opinion, but you can't say something like that without having experience. I know single mothers who have raised children, some of which are my friend's mothers that raised their children with no "father" role in their life. Gay couples may not have "motherly" or "fatherly" roles on the child's life, but still care for the child just as much as any two parent's would care for their child. And yet, there are some cases where the child's gay parents still manage to fit the feminine and masculine roles. Just because the parentd don't have the body fit for the role does not exclude them from being capable of being perfectly fine in the job.

If you want to read more, here's the URL: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090509/ap_on_re_us/us_gay_marriage_five_years;_ylt=AltA6j1hsM0dX.9oLl5P9qX2_sEF;_ylu=X3oDMTJ0MDdxc2pkBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwNTA5L3VzX2dheV9tYXJyaWFnZV9maXZlX3llYXJzBGNwb3MDNgRwb3MDNgRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrAzV5ZWFyc29uZ2F5bQ--

2. Just Adam

this sort of right wing thinking on religion and whats right for famillys and children is what harms relationships and child upbringings as same sex couples are beeing doomed to fail not given the chance to raise children beeing ritten off and undermind constantly scrutinised where hetrosexual parents arent as much... they say beeing in a same sex parent familly hurts the kids the more these articles i read i agree 100% it does but not because of the loving parents but due to the kid beeing enquireing will look up same sex parenting on internet and find all these articles saying how its horrid wrong he/she will be an outcast all these things that has to be wrong with the child growing up this way the read it enough it will get in to them they will believe it becoming paranoid and depressed taking noticed what the few small minded bullys will say not realiseing it is them thats the problem the hate they have thats wrong and evil not beeing raised by two people who love you :slight_smile:

3. Emberstone

I think he probably has raised some incredibly screwed up and unstable children. the gender of the parent, or parents has been proven time and time again to mean absolutely nothing.

Gender means nothing.

by his standard, he is basing this on the idea that the father is the breadwinner, and the mother is the homeworker.

truth is, gender doesnt matter. it doesnt matter if one parent is a homeworker. both can, and often do work.

He is acting as if a woman has one role in the family, the man has another, and thats what makes a well cared for child.

I know people with a stay at home mom, a father who works, and they grew up in what he considers a stable enviorment... and they are screwed up people, with criminal records.

I also know someone who grew up with two dads, and was adopted. he just graduated from medical school with honors, and is preparing to get married to his fiances, who oddly enough, is a woman.

I know people who grew up with a single parent, and they grew up well.

It is not the gender, or number of parents that matters. it is the quality of care they get from the parent/parents they have that matters.

Let the bigotts screw up their children. and let everyone else, gay, straight, married, or single prove them wrong.

4. Mickey

In the 1980's,I was in a 6 year relationship with a woman that had 4 kids.(2 boys and 2 girls). I was there for them,as ANY parent would be. I loved them like they were my own.
    Each one grew up to be really great and caring adults. They all have kids of their own,and are good parents. Even though their mom and I split up,they are STILL a big part of my life today. So,the hell with what other people may think. They're just idiots.

5. Emberstone

Bigots never justify their views. instead, they always grasp at straws to promote why their bigottry should be legalized.

Thats why they still push that homosexuality is the same thing as molesting people's children... forgetting to note that the majority of molestations are done by hetrosexuals against the opposate sex.

6. Dazed

Dazed Guest

my friends dad is gay and she has turned out to a great person.

gays can be just as good parents as anyone else and the can be as bad as a parent too,

7. Pvand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two men could never raise a child the same way a single teenage mother in the ghetto could.

because they can do better.

Pediatrics from most sane countries of the world have already established that children from same sex couples grow up just fine. I hate how they act as though it's a flippin' apocolypse with no facts to back it up.

Let it go.

8. Emberstone

Watching Milk last night made me have a urge to become a activist for same sex families.

9. And... what is wrong with the children? I have two moms and I've made high honors every single quarter of middle school, never had less than an A on a report card in my life, won school awards the past two years, involved in lots of extracurricular activities, in general a pretty damn good person if I may say so myself... so... how does having two moms affect me negatively? I'd say they've done a pretty good job so far.

10. GhostDog

I fully intend to either have or adopt kids. It will happen. And I will take them to parks! To the zoo! And I'll read stories to them, and be there when they skin their knees! I'll make sure they know that whatever they want to do in life, they can do it, so long as I don't have to pay their rent. And I will make sure we all have a grand ol' time.

You know, like the awful, terrible, sinful person I am.

Honestly. Child-rearing is just hard, no matter what, because growing up is just hard. There are so many kids out there whose parents didn't want them, or don't care about them. You have to go out of your way to have kids in a same-sex relationship! You'd think that it'd mean something, because it's not like you end up with a kid because you were drunk and careless. A same sex couple with kids wants kids, because they want somebody to love and take care of.

That's a hell of a lot more than what so, so many children have. =/

11. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there are a lot of kids out there who deserve loving families. Gender has absolutely no influence on the love two people can give a child. I fully intend to adopt children when I have the capabilities to look after them...financially and mentally.

There is one thing to be said though....I believe that every child needs role models in boths genders. If a child is brought up by two women then there should be some kind of male role model in their life, especially for boys...like a grandad or a football coach. Most boys get to a certain age when they want to be men and they look up to the closest male. I would want that male to be a good reliable man, not some dodgy older boy at school. The same is true for children brought up in single parent homes and for kids brought up with two men. Girls get to an age where they need a woman to ask certain questions. That role can quite easily be filled by a female family friend or an aunt....but I still think it's important.

12. Emberstone

I am lucky, my immediate family (parents, and my brother and sister-in-law) are very welcoming of my sexuality, and they didnt shun me. I have a wealth of positive rolemodels for any young girls I might have/adopt.

The bigots will always cry their eyes out how god hates this group of people, and god hates that group (which proves they arent chirstians, because god and hate according to the bible dont belong in the same sentences unless 'disapproves of' is between the words).

However, public opinion (along with medical opinion) is and has been steadily shifting towards equality and protection under the law for people of different sexual orientations.

13. Alex19

when i wrote my research paper on gay marriage, i brought this up and found info saying that (by psychologists) the gender of the parents mean nothing. the only thing that matters is the commitment and love that the parents show for eachother and the kids.