1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyra...you...you did something GOOD in my eyes...wow...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, May 13, 2009.

1. Greggers

Tyra had a show called "Gay is the new black" the other day, and it was basically split into two parts: Some random lesbian couple who were on a previous show (not linking that part, but feel free to watch it, i didnt find it to be that great) and the second part was what REALLY hit me.

Sam Harris was on the show to speak out about Prop 8, and then was joined by two other gay rights activists and three people against gay marriage. So it was 3 gays vs 3 people against gays. (And trust me, these three were AGAINST gays in every sense of the word).

First off? I LOVE Sam Harris. Secondly? Wow. His video blog they showed clips of was powerful, he was almost in tears. Ok, onto the 3 on 3. This is the first time ive been proud to have Tyra doing her "i love the gays" thing. She got some powerful conversation going on there. Sure, it didnt accomplish much, but i felt such a surge of emotion when the boy in the audience started to talk. As soon as he shut up the homophobic lady with his cries of "No, Stop!" I started to tear up. I have so much raw emotion still flowing through my body from it all. Sam Harris was brilliant i thought, as were all the people. But some of the things coming from the homophobic sides mouths were so revolting.

- - -

I have the clips for you here, Part 1 starts at 5:00 :slight_smile:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQMgjSbahV4[/YOUTUBE]

And here is part 2

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P601_LU0j1Y&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

2. Greggers

Re: Tyra...you...you didnt something GOOD in my eyes...wow...

*if someone reading this whos a mod can change the title to did not didnt? A silly slip-up of mine sigh

3. Just Adam

hmm interesting ive never liked tyra always thought she treats gays like a fashion accessory but today i did see some actual careing, it may have been fake but when that young guy was crying she actually did look like she too was about to cry thats nice in the sense she cares and shes right sexuality is minor but not careing when someones in pain because your beeing so vile to that person is inhuman.

4. BeautifulStranger

They got off track in their arguments a lot, but honestly... The gay side seemed a lot more educated than the against side.

But one thing I would absolutely love is if we started denoting things that have been made by homosexuals or homosexual friendly companies (for example... a pink triangle), and we gave, I don't know... a blue and a green card to everyone in the US. Those for gay rights have green, those against have blue.
    If anyone with a blue card tries to buy a product or service with a pink triangle, we refuse them service.

Letsee how well they'd survive then.

I mean sure... they wouldn't die.
    But I'm sure we wouldn't see as many politicians wearing Dolce&Gabbana suits or Prada loafers. There would be no more Pepsi products in their homes. No more would Lady GaGa, Lily Allen, Katy Perry, 3Oh!3 or showtunes grace their stereos. Their roots would get longer and longer and longer. Their children couldn't attend PE class anymore, which would make them fat. I doubt they'd be able to go to the gym anymore either since gyms make tons of money off of the gay community because of the pressure to be hot. (Okay... now I'm doing stereotypes)

They refuse us rights... let's refuse them service :grin:

P.S. I don't think Tyra ever treats the gays like a fashion accessory. She's like the ultimate fag hag. She just really really loves us because she knows if it weren't for us, her hair and makeup would've been trashed as hell on the runway. She owes her career to us.

#4 BeautifulStranger, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  5. It's nice that she at least acknowledges that gay people exist, but she brings it up every other damn day, it's so old at this point.

6. Greggers

+5 points for Tyler since he used a Cho quote :wink:

7. BeautifulStranger

+5 points to Greg for picking up on the Cho quote!

8. Just Adam

i just dont get her, i want her to care but on all her other shows her body language the way she speaks i dont feel it, as if they are there just to get a reaction to the show. i suppose i am just to cynical of people but when you trust them is when they usually stab you in the back.

ok that was also paranoid...oh i dunno

also i dont think we could do that to them it would be discrimination and would lower us to their level we want equality for all not to add to the negatives :wink:

9. Greggers

I dunno, one thing that pisses me off alot is when both sides spew the "I respect your opinion and everyone is entitled to have their own views". Its just word vomit!

For a lack of beating around the bush ill just say it, i dont respect anyones view that gay marriage is wrong, because that view in itself is wrong. I know its wrong! There is no reason two consenting people should not be given the right to get married, and anyone who thinks otherwise i wont spew the "i respect your opinion" line at you because i dont. Your living in the dark ages if your still homophobic, and if your against gay marriage your homophobic you cant avoid that one.

We should not have to defend our civil rights or equality, that should be a given due to the fact we are all humans and all come into this world the same way and leave this world the same way. I am he is, you are him and we are all together or whatever the damn Beatles quote is!

10. davo-man

Oh thank god, finally someone said it. Opinions are NOT always right. Is the opinion that black and white people should be segregated at school right? No. Is the opinion that the recession is solely Kevin Rudd's fault right? No. Is the opinion that the dinosaur bones were placed in the ground the to test our faith right? No. Just cos someone has an opinion doesn't mean I have to think it's right, nor does every opinion have to BE right. Hell, I don't respect opinions that contradict common sense or fact and I sure as hell don't respect the people who have these opinions and then defend their opinion by saying "It's just an opinion"

/rant

I agree with you, Just Adam. Perhaps we are just too cynical, but everytime I watch Tyra, whether it be on this show or ANTM, I sense the machines in her head clicking over, "What's going to be the best way to provoke drama? Which angle will capture the most tears? Which two finalists will get me the most ratings?". I don't doubt that she has a deep respect for our community and genuinely supports our causes, and I also deeply appreciate that she uses her status and wealth to hopefully positively change the world, but I do not doubt for a second that she is also a shrewd businesswoman at heart. I don't think she would have gotten to where she is without that killer instinct.

Finally, on the actual content of the video. *Sigh* It really just goes to show how bloody stubborn some people are and how unmoving their opinions are. We certainly still have a long road ahead, even though as a community, we've come so far.

One thing it made me think about was that I began to wonder why they believe it's choice. That got me thinking on a whole different track. There are thousands, if not millions of cases of people who claim they have been taken by aliens. There is no physical proof that they have been (in the majority of cases), and the only proof we have is that they tell is that they were taken by aliens. Now the vast majority would say that it's impossible that they were taken by aliens, especially without physical evidence.

But then I look at our case. From a cynical mindset, all we have as proof of our same sex attractions is what we say/our actions. I mean, there's no physical, biological way to say "this person is gay. This one isn't". What I'm trying to say is that I kind of understand why they don't believe us, because from their version of common sense, we are simply looneys with no proof of our orientation. The question is, what proof can we ever give of an unseen force; love?

Ironically, whilst they believe in one major unseen force, they fail to believe in ours.

11. stymied

stymied Guest

As to the "We can't change being black" arguement, sure you can. There's skin bleaching procedures and plastic surgery to eradicate typical African features. To us, that sounds ridiculous, bu that's how ridiculous stopping be gay is as well. Sure, you'd still have African-American genes, but "ex-gays" still have homosexual impulses.

I wish that we'd learn from the mistakes of our history and not have to repeat this whole stupid process. :eusa_doh:

12. Alex19

i saw this episode. it was amazing. go Tyra!!!

13. BeautifulStranger

So... It just occurred to me, but I think Lady GaGa may be on the way to loving the gays more than Tyra.

14. Just Adam

and i love her lol:grin:

15. Markio

I feel like there was a lot of talking in the video but not listening. People would say, "I think this, I side with this". Then the other side would say, "I disagree, I think this, I believe this". Then it just repeats without success from either side.

I guess I like how audiences at home will hear the applause that came with all the pro-gay comments. It gives hope at least, right? :slight_smile:

16. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Michael Jackson knows better haha.

I didn't like at all the part with the lesbian couple and the parents. I don't think it's healthy for them to expose their problems and misery like that on TV.

The debate was better (at least less sensationalist) although I agree with Markio, it seems nothing changed much in the end. By the way, that brainless 'anti gay' blonde reminded me of Pamela Anderson lol.

17. Mickey

First,Greg,Thank you for sharing this. If you hadn't,I would never had seen it.
    I am not a Tyra fan,no real reason,I'm just not.
    I do,however,love the fact that she's getting this all out to the public.
    I will say,that I am so friggen tired of the discrimination and the bible.
    I would LOVE to meet just one person who lives their life EXACTLY as the bible says you should.The bible thumpers are mostly hypocrites. Ugh!
    Anyway,in my heart,I know that we will prevail regardless of how homophobes,bigots and the bible thumpers think/feel.
    We have come such a long way towards equality,we have a long way to go,still.

Ps.-I'd like to hit the blond,in the middle,with her outdated book of fairytales!

18. TripleM

TripleM Guest

I saw this. It was amazingly good. I was so proud to be watching her show.
    She really did look like she cared. the last section where it was 3 pro gay and 3 anti gay was very powerful. The part when the young man stands up was also powerful and had me starting to cry. The shirts are pretty awesome too
    all in all I think she did a good job on this show!

19. Emile

Emile Guest

Go Tyra!
    <3

20. No One

We arent being hung but we are being beat to death, shot, and discriminated against. Man i wanted to punch the black girl i really did especially when she said "if your happy why do you need to get married?" i mean to some people marriage is part of that happiness.....

calming down if i dont stop now ill go on forever.