1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NH Gov. To Sign Gay Marriage Bill If It's Changed

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by EM68, May 14, 2009.

1. EM68

2. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

It's still a path to equality and that the Governor changed his position is very comforting. Onto New York, where the battle rages in the Senate- contact the state Senators and urge them to vote in favor of marriage equality.

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an inconvenience, but considering he has been opposed to gay marriage I think it is still progress. This also works to our advantage as the wording he has requested is so specific that religious opponents would not be able to use the "freedom of religion" argument like they tend to. I don't doubt they'll find something to complain about, but this will make it harder for them and should have more moderate conservatives relaxed on the issue.

The only real worry is whether it will pass the legislatures again. Hopefully it will.

4. Nodnarb

This is mostly just political posturing by Lynch, but as long it passes the legislature again, we can't complain.

5. Greggers

Marriage is Marriage right?

It does not seem to change that. All 1100 odd rights that come with the word "Marriage" still come with this i assume?

I dont have any complaints here at all, it seems to me this is just a way to remove religion from the picture so people dont bitch.

6. Emberstone

Well, I agree with him that religious institutions should not be forced to preform gay marriaiges, simply because that to me is apart of seperation of church and state.

But the bill as it currently is without change does not say churches have to preform gay unions if they dont want to.

He is being kinda derisive. You cant enforce a rule that is not in the law. as it currently is, churches would still not be required to preform these marriages if they choose not too.

7. EM68

8. Emberstone

The problem is, the church is not required to marry anyone already. They have the choice to turn down a couple already. thats a protected right of churches and religious institutions, and has been for centuries.

It was a lie created by anti gay equal rights groups.

he is just trying to play both sides of the arguement here. he will get some respect from the pro gay rights voters, but he will still be on the good sides of some of the churches. he probably took all this time to find something like this which is already a protected right of churches, so he can act like he is making change when he is simply reinforcing protected rights already enacted and protected.

9. Just Adam

this is piss poor hes delaying this just to add some wording to make it easyer for churches to say no to same sex couples so they wont be upset. id rather he just be quiet and not get involved if hes apposed as itis he supporting the opposers to this just in a lesser way than out right rejection. instead he wants to make it easyer for them to say no. i dont know if this will effect the laws and rights that come with marraige i hope not :frowning2:

10. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Churches have the right to deny any couple a religious ceremony in their church. If we didn't play it his way then he vetos it. A delay for a few days is a small price to pay, especially considering he is openly opposed to the bill but is still willing to sign it. It's a pointless amendment, but I couldn't care less just as long as he signs the damn thing.

11. Just Adam

i agree it just feels as he is against it that hes somehow trying to screw us lol....i have trust issues lol

12. olides84

My gut is he's for it, but he's just playing both sides because he probably wants to be re-elected. It's just politics.

QFT

13. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

It's a positive step no matter how you look for it for families in New Hampshire to now be able to have the same rights and privileges. As for those who say he is delaying, the way NH works no matter what the laws would come into effect January 2010.

14. Nodnarb

At least one of the Republicans that voted for it the last time is refusing to vote for the new amendment, because of Lynch trying to play both sides. But, I think there is a good chance that a lot more Republicans will switch to be in favor of the bill, because they don't want to be seen as opposing church's rights.

15. acorn7

Yep. Good for him if he wants to keep religious groups happy, we just want civil gay marriage.

I feel like smiling now :slight_smile:

By the way, this is the specific change he wants to be made:

Seems fair to me. If you don't want to attend the scary gay marriage, as you wish.

#15 acorn7, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  16. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/20/report-new-hampshire-house-rejects-amended-gay-marriage/

I'm starting to get bored and fucked off at New Hampshire pissing about with this. It's proof that gay marriage opponents cannot be pleased no matter what compromise you try and reach.

17. Nodnarb

There are 400 members in the NH House. Where the hell are the other 26?

It is supposed to be back out of committee and up for another vote in the next couple weeks. I said this before, but it should pass in a close vote next time. The biggest issue is whether or not Governor Lynch will accept the changes.

As I feared, representatives who were angry about Lynch wanting to please both sides (led by Rep. Steve Vallaincourt) switched their votes.

18. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

This is not fair.

19. EM68

It will be heart breaking if it does not pass! :frowning2:

20. Timm

I read in the Newspaper today that Lynch will sign the bill regardless of changes, although he would prefer his changes be made.

If the bill is signed, it will go into effect January 1.