1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"God, I hate these close-minded homophobes! They should all die!"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fiender, May 14, 2009.

1. Fiender

A lot, I hear people saying something like that in topics involving anti-equality acts statements or acts.
    Is anyone else troubled by comments like these on the forums? I for one can understand hatred for or disliking people like the WBC, and other anti-gay people. That said, I have a problem seeing a difference between saying you want someone to die because they are homophobic and saying you want someone to die because they are gay.

Shouldn't we take the moral high ground and try to simply feel sorry for these people? We know we are born this way, we know we cannot change, we know the majority of the civilized world will see this eventually as they started to see women as equal and as certain minorities are seen as equal.

Don't let your hate sway your words, we should try to be better than that! (*hug*)

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Yes, I totally agree. I dislike people who say "Homohaters should die!" far worst than the homophobes themselves because in order to preach the Gospel about wanting acceptance we first have to accept them ourselves. Retaliating with vicious comments like that puts you on a level lower than they because it's both hypocritical and close minded all the same.

Homophobia is cured when people get positive experiences with homosexuals. Most of homophobia is based on either scripture bigotry or unfounded stereotypes. If you're not offensive or attacking someone for being homophobia, rather, being open, assertive and approach with a positive-supportive attitude, they're more likely to change.

When people get angry, the functionality of our brain tends to dull and become primitive.

3. Greggers

I agree that sometimes we go a tiny bit too far, and that we should show respect for homophobic people as they are still people like you and me.

But i do think its perfectly ok and acceptable to say that about people who are SO far beyond homophobic that they are becoming Hitler for gay people. The Phelps Family as an example. I would feel NO shame, guilt or remorse if i wished death upon them and it just so happend to come true. Maybe that makes me a bad person *shug* but i really really REALLY dont care because the anger i feel inside for people like the phelps family is beyond that of anything ive ever felt before. They *can* go die for all i care.

#3 Greggers, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
  4. Jay

Jay

That's the one and only reason I dislike all LGBT forums and reunions and stuff: People hate the people who hate them. And I've told that for a while everywhere, but no one seems to understand.

Greg said about the Phelps family, and well, I would never ever wish anyone anything bad because of their homophobia, not even them. Because, as it has been said before, you need to preach with your example. I dislike homophobia, but I understand most people who are homophobic are that way for their lack or education on the subject, or the religious brainwashing. I don't hate their parents or churches either. I hate myself when I don't try to educate them on the subject.

It's a huge sign of hypocrisy when a gay person hates a homophobic person while asking for respect. I really feel ashamed to be part of this community most of the times.

5. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i was going to say something until i realized i was on a rant and it was really long, i'll be back to comment on this in a few (i just got out of a speach and debate class and i'm a little worked up right now) this discussion is "to be continued" in like whenever i get back from eating and hopefully not geting distract DAMNT i'm ranting agian I SHALL RETURN SHORTLY

6. Just Adam

i used to feel pitty for these tiny minded few who believe they deserve better than others for reasons that have no merit. now i just feel nothing but loathing at the attitudes they view, do i go to far in my words to some maybe but my anger is only in reaction to the bile they spew i dont instigate atacks on straight people i believe people should live as they wish aslong as they are happy and dont hurt others in doing so. these people live to spread untrue words and spread missery with their actions. i have no hope for them as they have no morality in what they do, why should i respect the human rights they have acknowledge and repect their existence when they try to diminish undermine and curropt mine and yours? should i take the moral high ground? well i allready have it they are attacking us for living our lives what i say is in defence what others do is in protection of their liberty the right to exist as they wish, these people have neither the right to do or say the things they take part in to discriminate against our freedoms but they fight on and so must we. if we stop fighting for equality they will bury over us as they will not stop thew shall not tire aslong as there is a chance they may win this battle, we can not allow this for ourselves and those that shall follow in our foot steps, what we do today shall protect the youth of tomorrow.

ok little dramatic i know but they get under my skin :slight_smile:

7. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Granted, treating bigots with violence is like trying to reduce a fire with fuel. But then, 'turning the other cheek' is not always that easy if the other person is being deliberately offensive (and that applies to all kinds of quarrel, not only regarding homophobia).

8. STK

STK Guest

It's different when it's people like Westboro. Don't tell me you wouldn't get some satisfaction out of seeing Fred Phelps's head explode!

I usually just feel sorry for them unless they attack me personally. But Westboro... they just push too far.

9. Dewey

I agree! You should treat people like people even if they are ignorant to certain aspects of life. Never fight back when you don't need to, always be the better person. Wanting someone to die for being homophobic is just like wanting someone to literally die for taking cookies from your cookie jar. It's an awful permanent solution to a temporary problem (like suicide!). When you treat someone nicely even though they treat you unfairly they will realize how ignorant and stupid they were long down the road. You may not get to see it but you will have helped someone to have better themselves. The Phelps family are the way they are because, ultimately, they want to be accepted by their family and home. Even if they risk the world hating them. Doesn't that seem human? I would stand by the side of my parents even if they turned out to be ruthless killers (maybe :/). They are people too and they cry just like us. I don't pity them or feel sorry for them. I am saddened for their lack of thought on the subject. I wish they could understand us more. But maybe one day someone in their family will meet someone who could put a more positive aspect into their life. Bottom line is that when you act as the peaceful party, people won't be so eager to put up their walls.

10. Starburst

Indianapolis, IN, USA & Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
    You have achieved the conscience to create a successful non-violent resistance against hatred, my friend. :slight_smile: We should all be proud of you.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I once had a guy explain to me how much he hated closed-minded people who wouldn't listen to contrary points of view, and how frustrated he was at continuously running into a brick wall trying to explain his stance to others. He was pretty well-spoken for a neo-Nazi.

I don't feel sorry for these people. I feel anger, sure, but not violent anger. I just realize how insulated they are. I know even if I had a year with them, I couldn't make them "get it". And that's frustrating.

Lex

12. Rygirl

I had huge problems with people who will persecute others because of their beliefs. First of all, because I follow Witchcraft, we are persecuted daily by the Church for our beliefs, and why? Because the church will not make an effort to understand us, they would rather sit back in their narrow minded teachings and persecute us because we are different from them. (Sorry, this still hits a raw spot)
    But others have shown me that the last thing a Witch would do is hate another because they hate you. We just get on with our lives and wait for the time when they are ready to bridge the gap and encourage acceptance.
    I'm trying to apply the same thinking to homophobia, though it is hard, and every day I hear about more bashings, and suicides and examples of injustice.
    When all they want to do is slap our hand away and treat us like second class citizens isn't that all we can do, get on with our lives and wait for them to come round?

13. Just Adam

sad thing is though left to themselves they wont come round as there is nothing to change their perceptions and way of thinking :frowning2: thats why we must keep pushing a positive friendly lgbt attitude :slight_smile: so they realise were nothing like they believe us to be were just us the same as them :slight_smile:

14. Alex19

i concur. if we went around saying shit like that, the opposers will think exactly what they do about us now forever- that we are bad ppl, and thats not the case.

15. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

"They should all die!"

That's acting just like them. Congrats.

16. kettleoffish

While bigots and homophobes do get under my skin a [lot] bit, we should never sink to their level. Even with the Westboro Baptist 'Church', I think that Fred Phelps is truly delusional and, not just wrong, but possibly mentally ill. The rest are [almost] all brainwashed into following him. Even Shirley, and especially the younger ones - it's all they know, and they take Father Fred's word as gospel.

I don't think we see the whole story behind Fred's deep seated hatred of us, we don't try to understand it: all we do is hate back - it's the easiest way. My view is that he is a deeply disturbed individual with a very twisted mind who is mentally unstable and honestly believes that his own [wrong] interpretation of the Bible is the correct one.

In my view, there is no single 'correct' interpretation of the Bible - it is merely stories that we should all take our own message from. And a whole shedload of rules - many of which may or may not once have been applicable, but are no longer so and thus should be ignored. Some obvious ones - such as thou shalt not kill and the like are clearly good rules but others are open to interpretation and, often, complete ignorance.

So, in short, hypocrisy is not how we should roll. Accept others and hope they show the same acceptance back.

17. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

You took the words out of my mouth

18. Meropspusillus

I don't feel like I any human respect to close-minded homophobes. They don't give me any, they don't deserve any in return. I don't necessarily hate all people like this, or wish them harm. (Some extremists, however, I do hate...though I still find it hard to wish harm upon other people).

Respect though-it's not something to give out lightly- if I'm going to respect your humanity, then you should respect my humanity in return. I don't wish ill or hate upon heterosexist jerks, but at the same time, I don't give a damn about them. Maybe, I'm egocentric, but I feel like my respect is something that should be earned: and these people are doing the opposite of earning it.

Maybe I'm just emotional, I went to the Holocaust Memorial Museum today: but some people are definitely deserve hate. Some people deserve death. Many don't deserve respect. Blargh

19. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i was going to say something a while ago until i got distracted and when i got back it was already said so nvr mnd, but i'm in the same boat as 'just adam'

20. Rygirl

like Ghandi said 'an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind'.
    If we act the same way as them then we are no better than them.