1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage Letter

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TripleM, May 18, 2009.

1. TripleM

TripleM Guest

I wrote this letter for English. We have to send it out so I want to make sure its really good. So I was looking for some input or changes I might need to add to this letter...If you have any responses/criticisms let me know!!

Thanks,
    Matt

May 14, 2009

Representative Bob Biggins
    114 W. Vallette
    Elmhurst, IL 60126

Dear Representative Biggins,

I am sure you are aware of the current debate of Same-Sex marriage. Since the 1980’s this trend has become increasingly more popular as more and more people fight for equality under the law. Currently Gays and Lesbians are not granted the same rights under the law as heterosexual people. Currently 29 states have constitutional amendments restricting marriage to a man and woman. Other states may not have amendments but it is still against the law. Only 5 out of 50 states allow Gays and Lesbians to get married and express their love for each other. Illinois is not one of those five states. This is a very sad figure. Hello, my name is Matt and I am a senior at York Community High School in Elmhurst. This issue is very important because in a country as great as the United States all citizens should be protected under the law and allowed the same civil rights. Gays and Lesbians should not be allowed to be discriminated against because of who they are. That’s why I am asking you to please get rid of the Defense of Marriage Act in Illinois and please propose or vote for new legislation that would allow for Same-Sex Marriage and give same sex couples the same rights and benefits of heterosexual couples.

As I stated earlier, thousands of Gay and Lesbian couples are not allowed to get married and do not receive equal protection under the law. Having a law that would allow for same-sex marriage and the same benefits makes complete sense. It is the right thing to do because people are born gay or born straight. One does not choose to be gay, just like one does not choose to be straight and so gays and lesbians should not be treated like second class citizens because of whom they really are. America was founded on the concept that majority should rule, but the rights of minorities should be protected. In this case the minorities are not being protected under the law. Denying homosexuals their civil rights is no different than denying people of different races their civil rights. It would also be good for the ailing economy. Recently Iowa became a new state to allow same-sex marriage. According to an article in the Economist “In Iowa alone it is predicted it will bring 5.3 million dollars to state coffers and 53 million to state businesses”. If same-sex marriage will bring that much money to Iowa, imagine what it could bring to Illinois. This is money that the state could use and help the state recover from this recession. Finally the reason that heterosexual couples get married is not for legal status. They marry because it is the ultimate expression of a persons love. It should not matter if the couple does not fit into what society is used to. Many people say that there are civil unions that can give homosexuals the same legal benefits as straight couples. If this is the case then why don’t all straight couples use these legal pathways? Maybe because there is something more to it.

As a state representative you can make a huge difference in the lives of hundreds of Gays and Lesbians throughout Illinois. By helping pass a law that would give homosexuals the right to marry and the same legal benefits as a straight couple you would make the biggest difference in so many people’s lives. So many people would be able to happily marry the person they love and want to spend the rest of their lives with. You have a real chance to make a big difference. This is not a gay versus straight fight. It is a fight for human rights that everyone should be involved in. When considering this please remember all the people you can help, because in the end it is the faces of people who will win this battle not the arguments.

I would personally like to thank you for serving as my representative in Illinois. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to read my letter. I hope you consider my request for change. If you wish to contact me, I would be more than willing to talk.

Sincerely,