1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Screening

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fiender, May 18, 2009.

1. Fiender

I was just watching an episode of Law & Order, and it brought up an interesting subject.

This guy was looking for (and allegedly found) a "Gay Gene". He was in the processing of obtaining DNA samples from this woman's unborn baby and her gay brother to check for this "Gay Gene". It was suggested that he could determine if the baby would be gay before it was born.

I know this is just a show, but has anyone else considered that if our orientation is genetic people who screen for this gene/genes that lead to homosexuality and then choose to abort/abandon that baby. Even if they aren't homophobic, the parents may "prefer" not to have a gay son or daughter.

All or most of us, I feel, would be ecstatic to learn of proof we are born this way, but this proof could lead to screening and lead people to abort supposedly gay babies and possibly a "Gay Holocaust".

2. Paralyzer

Omg, you need to be an essay prompt formulator!
    I could see this as a writing assignment...

3. Thatsit

There was a movie pretty much exactly like that with Brendan Fraser called "Twilight of the Golds"
    I would hope that most mothers wouldn't be able to have an abortion just because their son/daughter is going to be gay. There are also risks to abortions so I think someone would have to be a terrible person to abort their baby just because they have a good chance of being gay.

4. Adam

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UMeTD8bTYk[/YOUTUBE]

5. DexterMorgan

That's a touchy issue...and rather scary.

I don't think I will live to see the cause of homosexuality.

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I don't think there is one "gay" gene, but many genes that contribute to homo/bi/hetero/transexuality. The possibility of there being one single gene that determines sexual orientation is pretty much zero.

7. Thatsit

Haha that scene was one of my first thoughts after reading this
    I'd be a dancing baby(!) but what would the straight babies do?

8. Mickey

Thanks. I saw this movie but couldn't remember the name. :eusa_doh:

9. Greggers

That would be horrible! :O

Its really a "were do you draw the line?" issue. Some parents choose to have an abortion if they know the child will be born with a horrible mental illness or other life altering dieses. They use the "its better off not alive than to be alive with <blank>" but really, i feel thats NOT a question they are allowed to answer for the child. Who knows what the child would have wanted. Just because its going to be a forest gump, or a perez hilton, does not mean that that person would WANT to not be alive rather than be that way.

10. Nitro

Allow me to introduce one and all to ELSI - Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues which is funded as part of the Human Genome Project.

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/elsi.shtml

A bit about the efforts to locate a gay gene:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/dispomim.cgi?id=306995

Isaac Rabino conducted an interesting survey, published in 2003, of scientists and researchers in relevant fields such as molecular genetics, pediatric genetics, etc. 7% of respondents indicated that termination would be ethically acceptable if the unborn child was likely to be homosexual. For comparison, 82% thought it would be permissible if the child would most likely be severely mentally retarded, 76% if likely to die of a disease by age four, 11% if likely to suffer from depression, 5% if not the sex the parent(s) had hoped for.

Homosexuality and sex are not diseases!

If efforts to find a gay gene prove to be successful, future homosexuality could be correctly attributed as a choice - of the parents. It seems sad that future generations may simply not exist to enjoy the freedoms that have long been fought for.

This brings up a different ethical issue though - if you know that an unborn child is likely to be gay, and knowing how much/little oppression you have faced, could concerned parents be blamed?

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dunno if anyone remembers, but there was a very powerful and well-done Star Trek: Next Generation episode that dealt with this issue, only to make it less obvious, on the planet in question, everyone was homosexual, and there was a foolproof treatment that would turn anyone born "defective" (i.e., heterosexual) homosexual.

This one woman who was heterosexual fell in love with Cmdr Riker, and didn't want the treatment to be turned gay, but they forcibly captured her and treated her... after which she no longer had any interest in Riker and said that her desire to be hetero was a "mistake." I saw that episode probably 15 years ago and still consider it incredibly profound, thought provoking, and forward-thinking. I do think that when we start talking about meddling in genetic changes, this is the sort of thing we're potentially talking about.

On a completely different, but related, topic, I remember back in the late 80s, the first studies were coming in talking about how the brains of gay men were distinctly different than those of straight men (something about the part of the brain that dealt with spacial relations was smaller in gay men.) This was the very first tangible evidence I remember being discussed that started to turn the tide against the "it's a choice" argument... and here we are, 20 years later, still listening to people trying to make the same argument. <sigh>

12. paco

paco Guest

wow putting it in that light its a kinda frightening thought..like, would we exist or would our parents just "try again" ...some parents that would just try to essentially choose their child

i would like to know that there is a gay gene or collection of genes that creates homosexuality/bisexuality etc.. but if it's found i hope they dont let parents check for it before birth.....and now i feel even more controversial because that could be considered their right.

13. Rygirl

God that is scary, in China and India, they started checking for the Gender of their babies because they all wanted to have a boy, then they don't have to pay a dowry, loads of people started to abort female fetuses, now there are next to no Women for the men to marry and some people are kidnapping women for their sons to marry.
    I hope something like that doesn't happen with this, because technically, We aren't essential to human survival, there would be no reason to stop aborting queers.

14. Alex19

what scares me is that if it does exist, that some ppl may try to alter it and make everybaby straight... it would b the end of us!

15. Markio

Of course they wouldn't abort their children! The government would first ban gay-gene carriers from having sex...:dry:

16. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol you're very cynical Markio. I'd hope the Nazi logic wouldnt ever take power in a western country!

17. NeSiGaXe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Germany is a western country dearie. Sorry :frowning2:

18. Markio

And I can speak German! :eek:

I did have a teacher who told me that proving we're born this way won't stop people from hating us. It's a matter of letting people in regardless of whether they're one way or another. (&&&)

19. Just Adam

if you want to terminate a life on sexuality and looking at the study done above on the sex or because they will depressed i say you are the one who should be put down give birth then shot as far as im concerned as you are a sickness in this world. why cant we just be who we are why must we know these things and if so why should we choose, i personally dont like abortion i just couldent end a life like that i would keep thinking of that childs potential its too much a waste but to take it to these extremes is actually the signs of a world suffering an illness.

20. littledinosaurs

Well then people could do the same thing to get Gay kids couldn't they?
    Besides there will always be fundamentalists who will shun medicine and gays will be born from them.
    irony
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: