1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Protest Staged Over Gay Minister'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by kettleoffish, May 23, 2009.

1. kettleoffish

Article

This is big news 'round these parts, I don't know how many other people on EC are from Scotland, but I'm sure I've seen a few. It certainly represents progress that there is so many accepting the appointment of a gay minister. I know both ministers from my church are firmly backing his appointment, as are many of the congregation (including my mum (!)) through a group called Affirmation Scotland to which my church has close links.

I think it is great news that even the church (albeit the more accepting and liberal branches) are finally beginning to accept homosexuality. The appointment of an openly gay minister in itself represents enormous progress, regardless of the reaction it has recieved, which I feel is misrepresented by the article I linked. Even in my town (a relatively small place) there is a growing divide between the churches with the local Cathedral (my church) firmly backing progress and acceptance, and the local Free Church strongly opposing it.

that's my two cents, discuss :icon_wink

2. riddlerno1

This is really great news that he was appointed with a majority backing. isnt it funny though, as it says in the article that people have said that they were 'unaware' of his sexuality! Like it changes anything at all about the man they backed originally!!

3. Emberstone

hope he gets the majority again on his side to allow him to stay.

jesus rejected hate, and he rejected leviticus...

4. kettleoffish

Just saw this second on the BBC news channel - they voted in his favour (!) I'm typing this on my ipod touch. Great news for the lgbt community in Scotland.

5. Just Adam

im still concerned though ive been following this all day mentioned it on here earlyer in another thread as an example of summat. there is still the divide though and is very upsetting the bbc had footage today of a picket barrier lgbt on one side flying rainbows very nice and the church congrigation on the other saying its wrong its unnatural and has no place in the church... i fear just because hes keeping the position i cant see how they could make him stand down on sexuality im pretty sure the church dont want to look like thyre going backwards by 50 years but just because hes got the position i still see alot of turmoil it is going to be hard for him and if enough decide to boycot the church he may yet be asked to leave :frowning2:

6. kettleoffish

Another quick update from the Beeb

Adam, we can only hope for the best. Certainly that is not how things are looking here. I know personally one of the ministers who were backing Mr. Rennie at the Assembly, and he certainly believes firmly in equality and progress; he, and neither our other minister or the retired minister in our congregation, is doing this because it looks good. They are in it for what is right. In fact, the retired minister, who is a close family friend of mine, left a previous ministry of his in America a good few years ago because they disapproved of him blessing a gay marriage. There are good people in the church too, not just the haters. They simpy don't get as much attention nowadays.

7. Just Adam

i never said they were singlelly doing this for looks but they are apart of it the church has an image issue and image be it buisness or religion is important so they need to do what they can. but they do also do the right thing with equality but what i say about the local populas is correct if there is a significant negative effect like in annything things can change, i hope i am overlly negative but i find it hard to see positives when things are based on the moment and can change in the next and the fate hangs by a thread, only time shall tell this outcome.. im sure it shant pass unnoticed.

8. kettleoffish

I hope it works out, that's all I can really say I suppose.

I still believe that this is a landmark vote and marks serious progress, I hope it paves the way for more gay clergy (either to join, or to come out). Indeed you are correct; only time can tell, all we can do is hope, and that is all I am doing.

9. Rygirl

I don't go to church myself but I really hope that this ends up with acceptance, I think people take the bible too seriously and have lost track of its true message, like someone said, god is meant to encourage love of everyone.

10. Emberstone

it is not that people take the bible seriously... it is that they choose what to take seriously, then ignore the rest because it doesnt fit their agenda.

11. pianolover95

I completely agree. My dad does this ALL the time then asks me why I'm not religious...

12. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope this results in a much more accepting town for you, rather than a divided town.
    It's really great news!!!

13. Mr Bojangles

This guy was from Aberdeen. These people think bestiality is more healthy than homosexuality:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But seriously, there's not been that many queer ministers in Scotland, so it's nice to know they're getting there.

14. kettleoffish

This is the first one. It was a good curry by the way.

15. Blondie

Blondie Guest

this is truely a good step we have a openly gay bishop in NH