1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Politics & Gay Rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Crusader, May 25, 2009.

1. Crusader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was recently thinking about something Roseanne Barr said (in '06 i think) that in her opinion gay politicians were selfish, only talking about gay rights. With nothing to say on economy, social security etc. She was apparently forced to apolgise by "the gay community". Now i have to say i see where shes coming from, is that just me? Or are people actually offended by what she said?

2. Lazy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you actually follow the politics or just hear a gay politician bring up gay rights and immediately think "one trick pony"?

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Rosanne Barr didn't know what she was talking about and should have apologized! I don't know any gay politician who only talks about gay rights. I think they would have a hard time getting elected if they did that. Even Harvey Milk took on the dog poop problem in San Francisco!

4. Crusader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thats a goos question. My point basically was that the only gay politicians i've met (well i should say prospective politicians as they're never elected down here lol) either dont have any broader platforms or are members of a party which clearly they shouldnt be.

For example, gay republicans in the US, given DOMA and all. Maybe it's just the way the media spins things, it's just ive never seen a gay politician with any sort of platform beyond gay rights.

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Look at Barney Frank, openly gay Congressman who is dealing with economic crises as he is chairman of the banking committee, etc. Gay politicians do much more then gay rights.

6. No One

Ok i am a heavy follower of politics and let me say that it is very rude of you to say something like that. Saying things like this only fuel the anti-gay movement. Most politicians dont get into politics to fight this or to fight that. I want to go into politics but not because i want to fight for gay rights, would i do that if given the chance? you bet i would but i want to be a politician so that i can be heard and make a difference on all different fronts. There are a lot of really good gay politicians out there that are trying to make life better for everyone regardless of orientation. So to answer your question no i dont agree and yes she should have apologized and yes i am offended by her saying that!

7. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrFW2aYHVR8[/YOUTUBE]

Case Closed :grin:

8. Emberstone

remeber, rosanne barr is a shock commedian. Her entire celebrity is based around being shocking and saying and doing things in poor taste.

honestly, I think the number of fundementalist christians in politics is more of a threat then the gay politicions who are speaking out for civil equality in relation to LGBT rights.

9. Just Adam

gay politicians arent only careing about gay rights they want equality for all. no politician gets elected on a single thing they have to show an array of subjects they are working to improve economic issues, health& environmental. education, security but human rights are important for anyone those who want to premote famillys and kids but side step lgbt issues arent good politicians an openlly gay politician would just have a duty as i see it to the lgbt community not to give priority but to make sure our rights arent forgotten that human rights means everyone :slight_smile:

10. starfish

Case in point I had no idea Barney Frank is gay. I only knew that he is the chairman of the House Financial Services Committee. I have seen him a lot on the stuff I have been following about our current economic state.

11. Mr Bojangles

Stupid twat >_<. From what I've seen just generally seen (everywhere, not just here or whatev.) - Gay people are only interested in Gay rights. Well, no shit, it affects them, but those claiming to be 'political' who don't give a damn about anything else are truly just one trick ponies. I'm a bit weird though, I'm probs one of the only gay people who's not too bothered with gay rights (it's a big thing, but it isn't the epicentre of my political opinion)

12. That's how it should be. People are politicizing an issue that doesn't need to be politicized. Human rights should be a given. That's why they're called human rights not human let's-debate-and-see-which-side-wins.

13. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Yes, he is openly gay and has been out for sometime. There is also a gay congressman from Colorado, his name escapes me.

14. Ty

Ty

Alan Duncan MP, Shadow Leader of the house of commons. He rarely discusses his sexuallity, and his political life is about a wide variety of issues. Although she proberably considers gay activists to be 'politicians'. Meh. Not offensive, just ambiguous. She's right and wrong.