1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post-Prop 8

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Shevanel, May 26, 2009.

1. Shevanel

So now that Prop 8 has been upheld. What will happen? What will they have to do to overturn Prop 8 now? Is there any more progress in other states with same sex marriage? What do you think will happen in the near future?

EDIT: I made this because I haven't seen any threads about much of anything else besides Prop 8 lately.

2. WilbersRevenge

I don't think anything will happen anytime soon. I can't believe it was upheld. And some of the signs that pro-prop 8 people were holding were horrible.

3. People are just gonna bitch essentially. The only way I can think of them overturning it is if a repeal is voted on in an election or something.

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got this email a few minutes ago:

There was more, but it just gets ramblyyyyy.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Load up the bus and move to Iowa.

Lex

6. Nodnarb

Right now, people are just going to protest and vent their anger. Once people calm down a bit, groups will organize to start collecting signitures to put an iniative to take the same-sex marriage ban out of the state Constitution on the ballot next year. If it passes(which is likely), then California will have marriage equality again by 2010. After that, I'd hope something can be done to change the iniative process in California so that nothing like Prop 8 can ever happen again.

As far as other states, the NH legislature should vote in favor of marriage equality (again) in the next couple weeks, and New Jersey is also likely sometime this year.

7. Nodnarb

Hell yes!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

We'd love to have you:grin:

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, all they can do is try to get another proposition on the ballot. Personally I highly doubt they can reinstate marriage rights for gay people so soon after it was defeated.

What I can't stand is how somehow the fact that the Yes on Prop 8 campaign was majorly fuelled by out-of-state religious groups has somehow gotten lost in the shuffle.

#8 joeyconnick, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
  9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    California is in the exact same position as Oregon right now. We will both have to win marriage with the popular vote. We just have to keep talking to people and making them see how important it is. We're moving closer to having that popular vote all the time.

10. EM68

I am so disgusted now that the courts upheld discrimination! I know where I won't be going to anytime soon!

11. Alex19

i cant believe it was upheld... well, sooner or later it will be a thing of the past and GLBT ppl will be allowed to marry in california. i cant believe how vicious our opposers are...

12. EM68

You are welcome to come to Massachusetts.

13. EM68

This is the Courage Campaign ad:

https://secure.couragecampaign.org/page/contribute/Fearless

I saw it and started to tear up.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there will be a backlash against the bigoted conservative religious folks that essentially bought this decision with deceptive advertisements.

If you were living in California during the campaign, you would have been simply appalled at the kinds of blatantly false ads the Mormon Church (under wraps) was running... lies that churches would be forced to perform gay marriages, that kindergarten children would have to learn about anal sex, all sorts of ridiculous stuff. And that's what got the vote to go against. Before they started their campaign of lies, the polls were showing a strong swing in favor.

Now, I think a lot of people realize they were duped. And many of those are understandably angry. So I think if it comes up again, it will be a lot harder for the various religious loonies to pull the wool over people again.

15. Markio

It's a very good ad, although I can't help but wish it played before November 4th. Or did it?

I'm going to a vigil tonight--my mom thinks I'm going bowling.:thumbsup: Well, I am, but afterwards.

16. Shevanel

Okay but wasn't it in a way expected that it would be upheld? was everyone THAT surprised? I think we should look forward rather than get upset about what has already been done anyway. (which happens to be the entire purpose of this thread)

17. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I am angry but expected this. Let's try to bring this question back to voters and overturn this. Let's double our efforts in other states. It's only a matter of time.

18. EM68

I think that in any future campaigns there needs to be ads showing same sex couples in them. We need to put a human face to the issue. I think that was lacking the campaign last fall.

19. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

I've been so wrapped up in revision the last few weeks I didn't even know this Prop 8 thing was going on til I just caught a bit about this on the news. Wow. Not any personal opinion on this cus I gave up on the institution of marriage years before I figured out my feelings, but am genuinly a bit shocked about this. Surely CA is one of the most gay-friendly states going?

20. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry but if these people were naive enough to be duped before, what's changed that will miraculously improve their understanding of the issue enough to see through what will surely be yet more lies and deception? If anything, the bigoted religious folks will point to the court ruling as (completely erroneous) proof they were "right." Your belief that people will just "naturally" do the right thing and somehow be immune to fear-mongering has been proven wrong over and over and over again, especially in the US. That's why, generally, most major gay rights victories have required a lot more effort than simply running ads which show happy everyperson gay couples. People are much more often moved by appeals to negative emotions like fear and anger than they are by appeals to equality and justice. Aiming for incremental change and hoping straight people, especially those in position of power, will just awaken as changed people one day and politely grant us the rights we deserve is like believing that without government regulation, corporations will magically "do the right thing." What on Earth would be the incentive?

Homophobia and heterosexism do not exist simply out of ignorance. They're certainly perpetuated by people's ignorance but the fact that there is a definitive anti-gay agenda has a lot more to do with power than it has to do with ignorance.