1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Question Of Sorts.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by littledinosaurs, May 26, 2009.

?

Can you live with the name Civil Union if all the rights are the same as marriage?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    64.4%
  1. littledinosaurs

So my question is Do YOU care about the name Marriage or are you willing to accept Civil Union as long as it has all the same rights and privileges as a marriage would??

Just wondering
    leave responses please!
    and play nice.

2. TayTay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to get married not civil unioned!

3. Shevanel

I can't vote, as I'm not sure, but I'd like to get married, and have equal rights as much as anyone else I guess. So maybe its a no? but I don't like definite answers.

4. littledinosaurs

haha sorry i almost added a third option but i got lazy.

5. EM68

I want to be able to get married. Just like my parents, brother, sister, friends and everyone else in society.

6. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

I hate the name marriage, as it is widely known that its a religious term (even tho it was around before religion).

I'd rather a whole new name be adopted for EVERYone. religious people can still get married, but if they want rights, they have to get (insert new name here)ed like every other person.

7. TayTay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or instead of going threw all that mess we could ALL get married:rolleyes:

8. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Like i explained, marriage has too close a relation to religion. I hate anything and everything to do with religion :wink:

9. I don't care, as I'm not getting married. But if they had all the same rights as marriage then civil unions are fine for me.

10. silentsound

I can't choose honestly. At this point I guess while gay marriage and gay rights and all that stuff is important to me, all I am really looking for is acceptance. Yes, I would like to be in a committed monogamous relationship with a woman from some point in adulthood to the rest of my life. To me, it's most important that I can be with the person I love without getting stared at or discriminated against. From where I am in my life I know I would really love to be able to call that thing marriage, but I guess it doesn't matter too much. Right now I am openly pro gay marriage (in an in the closet kind of way) because I believe others should have that choice and it is a step towards the acceptance I hope to one day find. I can't vote because as I talk about this now, I am writing about someone else. I will do everything I can for gay marriage because I believe in it and I want those couples to have what they deserve. I can't tell you if "civil union" will be enough for me when I am part of one of those couples because even though it seems almost derogatory, "til death do us part" is the only thing I care about right now. Does that mean I need marriage? I can't say.

...if that made any sense

11. qisforquinton

To me, civil union is fine. I guess I can understand how straight people say "marriage is holy and supposed to be between a man and a woman". Honestly, just let them have that word so they can feel big and special. As long as two males or two females can be bound in some kind of matrimony, that's good enough for me. Though, it is a lot easier to say "we're married" then "we're civil union-ed". XD

Quinton has spoken.

12. jazzrawr

I know civil union is the same thing without the ceremony and everything, but if I want to get married one day I want to have a ceremony. Not a Christian one, but I'd still want one you know?
    So I said no. It's just stupid to deny people a right anyways, even if we didn't want to get married. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Dazed

Dazed Guest

no.
    having the same rights laws or whatever as married people but calling it something else shows that people are not treating us like equals.

14. rainemc

Well marriage to me is a term that is any joining of two people weather it be in a church or in the woods and I'm pretty sure the state definition of marriage isn't a religious one. Also, I want the word marriage because we are no different than straight people who want to get married. We love each other too!

15. Kirakishou

I don't particularly want to get married, so if they get the same rights, I'd be fine with it.

16. Greggers

No way.

My sister is married, my brother is married. If i have a "civil union" that just makes it ok for my mother to treat me and my partner differently than my sister and brothers marriages.

The word has power, like it or not.

I can totally see why someone would not mind it being a civil union if it had all the same rights, cause thats what they are after, the rights. But for me its an issue of equality. I need to be treated the same by society. If my partner and me are not married, that wont happen :frowning2:

17. Mick

Mick Guest

No. Marriage and civil union are two completely different things. I want to get married. Civil union is not the same as a marriage.

18. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me, personally, it doesn't really matter. My concern is with legal standing and benefits, not the ceremony and pageantry of it all. However, in the general sense of things, I'm not going to stop anyone from taking it one step further and pursuing the title of "married" if that's what they want.

19. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Isnt that the same thing as christmas. It means one thing to others but it means presents to me :slight_smile:. I get what you say but when we give religion power to have command over words we give them a false idea that they are entitled to certain things becuase they believe they have a knowledge we don't.

I want to get married not becuase it had a relgious backround to it but becuase that is the word I have known since I was little and I don't know any other word for it and having someone say that that civil unions or other names are better is like forcing a dog to play fetch with a new toy rather than its favorite. (it gets this look on its face--->:dry: and just sits and stares)

20. mattypants

what ever happened to partners? lol