1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guy in LA become Prom queen

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Blondie, May 28, 2009.

1. Greggers

"I will be wearing a suit, but don't be fooled, deep down I am a queen."

Oh my GOD that is an amazing quote. Im going to steal that and use it alot :slight_smile:

2. littledinosaurs

:| I think he should have run for prom King, he took a spot away from a girl and if people really supported him and gays he would have still won king.

3. Shevanel

Basically whats going to happen now is theres going to be some gigantic debate about how "prom queen and king" should be gotten rid of because of whatever. But I probably agree with you Jarrett.

4. RaRa

Haha I would've loved to see him dancing with the King! :grin:

5. Aw that's cute. And he didn't "take" anything away from a girl. These things are usually voted on.

6. moirai

hehe i wonder if thats why he wanted to run for queen instead of king :grin:

7. mattypants

dont forget the girl who won prom king!
    dual wow
    xD

8. RaRa

That's the only reason i'd run for queen. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Lucy

wow, if my school were 1/100th as supportive as that o.o

that's so amazing!! good for him :slight_smile:

10. Apple Pie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This just reminded me that last year (or it might have been the year before, I can't remember), our homecoming king was gay. :icon_bigg

11. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

It doesn't make sense that he should be prom queen if he doesn't want to be a girl ('assume a feminine identity'). I'm not fond of the king/queen stuff (luckily they don't do this in my country), but if this division represents the traditional binary conception of gender identity (masculine/feminine), I don't understand why this guy should be a queen. It seems to me that the only reason he was voted for this was the fact that he's gay and this doesn't strike me much as acceptance but rather as a misconception of what being homosexual means.

12. Derek the Wolf

He was probably voted in as a joke. It's more malicious than supportive. I was almost voted Homecoming King, and I didn't even plan on going.

13. Markio

Ooh, I was voted onto the homecoming court, it was fun! I wasn't out then, though.

So he's Queen? Who's King?

14. Techcompu2

same

what she said ^

15. Emile

Emile Guest

I hope it's a joke. He should've run for king, not queen... That's really stupid. Being gay doesn't make you a woman.

Unless he's a transgender, but that is not what the article says.

16. MusicIsLife

Good for him :slight_smile: Gender roles piss me off. There was no prom king/queen at my old high school, though had there been i would have preferred being prom king :grin:

17. Greggers

I totally think it should be fine for him to run as Prom Queen.

I would have done that in a HEART beat if i was in his situation. Why? Because i dont feel like i would fit the role of "Prom King" if i was asked out of the two what i would be. Im no woman, but i feel more feminine than masculine. All my friends treat me like a feminine guy now, and i LIKE THAT! I WANT that :slight_smile: I dont feel very manly inside, and im at peace with that. I wish i could explain what im trying to get at better, but its almost this unspoken thing between me and my friends, they just get me now. Im invited to the girls nights, the guys treat me with chivalry like they would the girls, ect. ect. BUT! its not done in a "mocking" or "joking" way. Its just understood thats the way it is with me.

Now back on track, i think that ^ is what this guy is coming from more. He does not feel he identifies as a "king". Now i dont think that automatically means he should run for "queen" or anything, but i dont think its a BAD thing if he does. Maybe he feels more like a queen, and should be able to run if he does. Im all for breaking gender boundaries. If we can have females in normally male roles why not this too? :slight_smile: I dont think he was voted queen as a joke either. From what i read it seems like it was a serious thing.

18. Just Adam

queen or king what the hell does it matter aslong as he enjoys the night....oh boo a blonde cheerleader stereotypr didnt get to be queen :| big shame.

i just think it makes a nice change to the jock for kind cheerleader for queen mentality only the cool popular kids can have a bit of fun...

if itd been me i would of gone in the suit then before im crowned sneeked off and dressed in a dress just for the laugh factor.

19. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mmmm, I couldn't really care less about which gender gets what role, tbh. With the amount of real problems going on, I find it difficult to get up in arms about prom titles that people seem to have taken in stride.

Tis all in good fun. Not our duty to criticise them for that.