1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Former US VP Cheney believes in gay marriage!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by epiphanies, Jun 1, 2009.

1. epiphanies

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090601/ap_on_re_us/us_cheney

The article continues to talk about other stuff, but this was the beginning of it.

2. s5m1

Ironic that Cheney supports gay marriage, but President Obama does not.

3. Shevanel

See, Cheney isn't all that bad :slight_smile: I always knew it :slight_smile:

4. Yeah because he knows it would never pass Federally. I agree with him.

5. No One

If its a state by state issue it will end up being like segregation that started out as a state by state decision and look how that went.

6. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    ok i totally did not see that one coming but i gotta say good on him maybe it shows that republicans arn't that bad (Im a republican please dont hate me lol)

#6 carrie90, Jun 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  7. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I dont belive anything cheney says. If he didnt say it from his bunker than it must not be true.

8. Meropspusillus

Just because you're not against gay rights doesn't make you a good person. He's just as evil and twisted as he always was.

9. GhostDog

Hmm.

Hmmmm...

No, no, it's still not enough to make me like Cheney. I doubt he could ever redeem himself in my view. Still, the sentiment, coming from him? Well, huh. A pleasant surprise.

I don't agree with doing it on a state-by-state basis. 'Full Faith and Credit' in the constitution and whatnot, unless I'm misunderstanding the meaning of that clause. And I'm pretty sure that if Texas is ever going to even recognize civil unions, it'll either happen way way after most other states and years down the road, or it'll have to happen federally (more likely the case, like with desegregation and everything else). So 'I think the states should decide' kind of annoys me, as someone whose state has already decided.

But, hey.

Baby steps.

10. Just Adam

basically he says he supports a freedom and right that everyone should have anyway but wants it determined on state level.... yay he thinks we should get what we should allready have in the usa but hes an idiot .... i agree with above it just becomes segrigated. why should close minded right wing old thinkers get to take away someones right.

this needs to be national or its not equality is yea you can have it here but not here.

if its segregated it may eeven happen now you could have lgbt people resenting each other because some can marry and others cant when wanting to.

this is why im hopefull on the court case

for i think my own countrys poor lgbt laws will hopefully be worked on in light of a nation wide US same sex marriage :slight_smile:

11. Meropspusillus

Obama has to remain ambiguous about gay marriage, he's up for re-election in three years, and unfortunately, outright saying you support gay marriage hurts your chances. Dick Cheney will probably never have to run for anything again.

Also, Obama's actions will speak louder than Cheney's words. Maybe I'm being a hopeless optimist, but I have little doubt Obama's presidency will leave the gay rights movement in a much better place then Cheney would have ever cared to put them.

Cheney is smart though, I don't doubt that he would say this in only an attempt to undermine homosexual support of Obama. I don't know, I just hate Cheney.

12. Emberstone

how can you make a statement that same sex marriage is about "freedom for everyone", but then allow the states to decide if they follow the nations consitution in providing liberty and freedom for all? or was that the declaration of independence that also said all men are created equal.