1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alberta passes law allowing parents to pull kids out of class

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kenko, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Oh Alberta.
    My home.

I have such a hate for religious rightwingers. Get off my side of the political argument! You're making me look bad.

As for this clause, the thing that really irks me is that it's sandwiched between a human rights bill and not in an education bill where it belongs. It's nasty and underhanded.

3. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

That means a written notice about shakespear, history, biology, psychology...let the teachers do their job! If they dont like it they can enroll their children in a private school that supports their point of view. Public schools are funded by the public...jews, blacks, catholics, gays, striaghts etc. Each should have their own side shown and explained in school based on facts and documentation. Pull your kids out but they will find out one way or another, the more you tell a child "NO" the more likely they are to find out why you told them "NO" in the first place.

4. I'm not surprised. Isn't Alberta one of the more (if not the most) conservative parts of Canada?

5. Dewey

I think there's nothing wrong with that. Parents should have the right to raise their children according to their values and belief systems. In any case, their children will grow up and figure things out for themselves, anyway. However, if they don't want their children to know about sex, and don't want them to be open minded (or at the very least, tolerant) towards religion and/or sexual orientation, that's a little different.

6. Greggers

Um, Censorship much?

7. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    [​IMG]

Basically...

Anyways, Teachers should be allowed to teach. If parents have a problem with talking about controversial topics they can always brainwash their kids at home.

8. Amy

Amy

That's kind of how it is here. Personally, I don't have a problem with it since my parents are rather lax. But, some parents are not; their children tend to be a bit more...sheltered.

9. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    actually, one of the major things about public schools is your weren't allowed to practice a lot of things (i.e. black history month, christmass, no groups of any kind nothin, [you still get holidays, there just called holidays not x-mass break) the whole point was that way they wouldn't have to condone anything or pick sides. there's been a lot of controversy about it over the years wether people should be allowed (i butcherd that word i just know it) to practice their religious beliefs in school cause its there faith or whatever but because it "might offend" someone and isn't allowed which is totally understandable i think, they shouldn't talk about anything and just avoid hot topics all together its just to much of a legal mind fuck if you start allowing groups in. for example, if you allow black history month then would have to include other race groups otherwise it's racist, which unfornately means you would have to allow neo-nazis and white supremecists to do there thing as well. or if you allow one group to condone subject A I'm sure there would be a group to oppose it. (it's all just screw'd from the word go in my opinion, i'm a law major and i'm looking at it from a legallity stand point)

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup! Alberta is one the most conservative parts of Canada.

It's a shame that school kids in Alberta are being deprived of an education on topics that they should know a few things about. It's too bad that politicians just don't get the point of an education!

Here is what gay activists in the province had to say
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2009/06/01/edmonton-gay-activists-bill-44.html

#10 Mirko, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  11. acorn7

Disappointing. This bill (or at least the part about parental consent to talk about freakin sexual orientation) is absolutely idiotic. Slap Upside the Head has a great post about it:

http://www.slapupsidethehead.com/2009/06/alberta-puts-the-chill-on-gay-classroom-topics/

12. Greggers

Just...dont move to Alberta...

Sorry Mikey :frowning2: But your province is sub-par.

13. sdc91

If I were a teacher and a parent wanted to pull his or child out, I wouldn't mind. You know, not all parents who would pull their children out are homophobic... some just don't think their kids might be ready to hear the subject matter yet, and they can explain it on their own time.

It's just more freedom for the parent to do what they feel is best for their kid. Most parents probably won't do anything, but it's nice to have options on the table.

14. Myke

Myke Guest

Who didn't seriously see this coming ... it's Alberta for god sakes...
    Soon enough I'll be out of here =)

15. Just Adam

well over here parents can decide to not have their kids in sexual discussions or religion based lessons(all be it that one much more rare)

before any class on sexual subjects you usually get a note home and the parent can have you not attend if they wish as they may simply feel they want to teach you about these things but i personally favour school taught aslong as they tell you everything and dont edit the facts or twist things... i suppose where you go homosexuality will be shown in a different light and bisexuality may not be covered at all.

i dont think its right that the teachers should have the potential to suffer any backlash or make their job needlessly harder than it is :frowning2: everyone needs to learn about others so they can understand and accept them these kind of things just leed to segrigation and biggotry as you never understand others :frowning2:

16. Jacobs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate living in Alberta!!!

17. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

How could that be passed off as human rights, its education thru and thru. I hope the union can stand up and get rid of this restrictive overbearing nonsense. Do you want your children educated or not??

And putting teachers in a situation where they could violate human rights is just not cool