1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The President needs to hear from us!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Jun 4, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I just saw an interview that President Obama did recently where he's asked about gay marriages. He talks about equality and then uses civil unions in the same breath. Not acceptable! I'm going to challenge every American (and those pulling for us) to write the President a letter. Tell him how it makes you feel to be a second class citizen. I'm going to write one too!

Here is the address:

The White House
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
    Washington, DC 20500

You can also go to www.whitehouse.gov and send it by e-mail.

Post your letters here so we can see them all!

2. Eleanor Rigby

That's a great idea Becky !
    I think I'm gonna do the same with my Président. It is more than time for the world to change.

3. Just Adam

i think im gonna do one to pres obama and the prat who we got here who may not still be there by the time the email reaches them HA!

4. Just Adam

this is what i sent to the pres... i know he will most likelly never see it lol but its worth a shot its very crap haha a total kiss ass preechy piece... im no good at letters :S

Dear president Obama,

My name is Adam **** I am an admirer of yours from the UK, today sir I am writing to you to ask where you stand on lgbt rights and same sex marriage.
    You recently talked on this subject and mentioned civil unions, something that is very debated amongst the lgbt community. I personally feel they are a failure of human rights and offensive.
    Should I fall in love and choose I want to spend my life with a man currently I am forced to feel inferior and outcast ed by society as we don't get the same title to be able to show our love to the world and we don't have the same rights, I believe there are over 1000 laws that go with the term marriage alone there has to be a few there we deserve, to be offered a second rate alternative that is designed to not rock the boat hurts, we just want to live openly in loving relationships and contribute to society.
    Mr president we just want to be treated the same as normal everyday people because that's what we are with all the same flaws and problems but also with the same capacity to love and feel and right now I feel saddened knowing how parts of society still see us and treat us as sinners and quote miss guided references to call sham on our lives and our love to treat us as lesser beings when there is no difference other than who we are attracted too.
    You may be wondering why I am writing to you and not my own leaders well I shall do but I see the great progress that has come about in the USA of late and cant help but think of you that you are bringing the change you promised and now is the time we can act and gain true equality in this world, I have faith in you and believe that you will led the way pr emoting our rights and showing our great contributions.
    thank you president obama for reading this letter and I hope you help bring us the rights we deserve and show your the champion of liberty and freedom I believe you to be and I live in hope my country shall follow your guiding example

thank you

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Great letter Adam! Thank you for contributing. I'm going to work on mine this afternoon. Hopefully I can get all my kiddos asleep. :grin:

6. Just Adam

i sent mine to prime minister aswell i forgot to copy before sending .. wasent great they wouldent let me write hardly anything :S

so i had a more of a moan at him about equality and human rights and how the usa is making the progress why arent we :grin:

i think ill write him a letter some time aswell but may be worth waiting as the way things are going we could have a new prime minister :S

7. peaceLOVEandNYC

It is going to take a long time for this country to realise that Separate but Equal is NOT Equal.

But i guess now that New Hampshire has legalized gay marriage, we can see a lot more states follow in their stride...

8. Techcompu2

I like your letter, although you might want to have a mod remove your last name from the beginning of it.

9. Just Adam

thanks for the comp :slight_smile:

nah people can know my name i dont care :slight_smile: it dont matter i am who i am, a names only words people can know them :slight_smile:

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Actually its against EC code of conduct so I edited out your last name.

11. Just Adam

well in that case ok :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol

( there goes my heroic action haha

ahh well

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Putting it in an envelope and mailing it tomorrow!

June 4, 2009

President Barack Obama
    The White House
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
    Washington, DC 20500

Dear President Obama,

My name is Becky ***** and I am the President of PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) Central Oregon. I am the mother of a wonderful, talented, and compassionate 25 year old who is gay and two beautiful straight daughters. (Ages 23, and 21) I am also an online moderator of a website called Empty Closets. (www.emptyclosets.com) This website has over 5000 members of predominantly young glbt people who are struggling to come out. Some have good experiences but a lot of them experience intense conflict with their parents and loved ones because of who they are.

When my son came out to me I was not sad or disappointed in any way because he was gay. I was proud that we had done such a great job in raising him that he felt comfortable enough to share with us this important part of his life. I was sad because at that time I really felt “marriage” was something that my son would never experience unlike his sisters. Since then I have been advocating for marriage equality for my son and the wonderful lgbt friends that I have made on this journey.

I cannot stress enough how the mental anguish from being second class citizens in the eyes of our federal government influences the health and well-being of these young people. Many are afraid to reveal their true selves at their work places for fear of being fired from their jobs. My own son experienced discrimination in his first job after he came out from an employer who previously trusted him and valued his work performance so much that she made him a supervisor and allowed him to handle the cash at the end of the day. Yet when she found out he was gay she said “We’ll have none of that here!” and threatened to keep him from obtaining a different job within the same company.

There are so many things that need to happen within our federal government now that we have you as our President. The lgbt community placed their trust in you to help them with these important concerns. We are still seeing gay and lesbian military fired under “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”. This has to end, Mr. President. These people need to be reinstated with back pay!

Finally, I am disturbed that you continue to think that Civil Unions are in any way equal to full marriage rights. Why is it okay for my son to have a civil union but my daughters are granted marriage? This is NOT equal rights. This state by state movement is not working. In California, some gay and lesbian couples are married and those not “taking the plunge” in that short amount of time are unable to now. My son lives in Louisiana now. It will be decades probably before that state is progressive enough to pass any lgbt equality legislation. Please reconsider your stance on this issue. We have faith in you for hope and change! Please let’s get to work on these important issues that you promised in your campaign. It has to happen with you, Mr. President!

Thank you for declaring June as National LGBT Pride Month. You are right in saying that this minority does play an important role in our society. Its time the federal government recognizes them as first class citizens!

Sincerely,

Becky *****

13. Just Adam

fantastic letter :grin: it says all the things a letter should have it sounds perfect :slight_smile:

i so hope he replys to you :slight_smile:

14. EM68

I love the letter Becky.

15. EM68

This is my letter:

Dear President Obama,

My name is Ed ****. I am a 40 year old gay male living in Massachusetts. I am writing about your stance on gay marriage. I understand that you feel civil unions are equal to marriage. This is not the case. As a person who talks about equal rights I would hope you would reconsider your feelings on gay marriage.

Like I said, I live in Massachusetts, the first state to legalize gay marriage. Since then over 13,000 couples have gotten married cementing their love for each other. This has not damaged the morals or values of my state. If anything, it has enriched it. I feel very fortunate that I live in a state that when I meet someone I love I can marry him. However if we decide to move to another state, there is a good chance that our union would not be recognized. To me this is troubling that my government and my President would not acknowledge my marriage with the one I love. Having gay marriage would not damage the United States. If anything, it would show the rest of the world that we are truly accepting of all of its citizens. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ed ****

#15 EM68, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's worth mentioning that it's always WAAAAY more effective to actually mail a real letter rather than simply email a politician. Hardcopy letters are taken more seriously (because they take more effort to send). So rev up your printer, get an envelope, and buy yourself a stamp or 10!

17. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Great advice Joey! I mailed mine! Thanks for writing Ed! We need alot of people to do it!

18. Courtneyyy

I'm going to work on a letter later today.

I saw on youtube a guy who talked briefly about civil unions vs marriage and said it was like 'you can ride on the bus, but you have to sit in the back' (or something to that effect). To me that is just the perfect analogy, I want to 'ride the bus' and I also want to sit in whichever seat I chose. I think I'm going to use that in my letter.

19. Courtneyyy

Is there some place online where I can watch this interview? I'd like to say something about it in my letter.

20. Rygirl

How similar is the situation here to many states in the US? My god this is bad, I live in the country and I don't know what is going on.

How are you going to do your letter Adam, are you sending it to your local MP or 10 Downing St?