1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Gay penguins' rear adopted chick

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SwissBoy88, Jun 5, 2009.

1. SwissBoy88

[​IMG]
    Two "gay" male penguins have hatched a chick and are now rearing it as its adoptive parents, says a German zoo.

The zoo, in Bremerhaven, northern Germany, says the adult males - Z and Vielpunkt - were given an egg which was rejected by its biological parents.

It says the couple are now happily rearing the chick, said to have reached four weeks old.

The zoo made headlines in 2005 over plans to "test" the sexual orientation of penguins with homosexual traits.

Three pairs of male penguins had been seen attempting to mate with each other and trying to hatch offspring from stones.

The zoo flew in four females in a bid to get the endangered birds to reproduce - but quickly abandoned the scheme after causing outrage among gay rights activists, who accused it of interfering in the animals' behaviour.

The six "gay" penguins remain at the zoo, among them Z and Vielpunkt who are now rearing the chick together after being given the rejected egg.

"Z and Vielpunkt, both males, gladly accepted their 'Easter gift' and got straight down to raising it," said a zoo statement.

"Since the chick arrived, they have been behaving just as you would expect a heterosexual couple to do. The two happy fathers spend their days attentively protecting, caring for and feeding their adopted offspring."

Humboldt penguins are normally found in coastal Peru and Chile, but their numbers have been dwindling due to overfishing, reports the AFP news agency.

'Drive to mate'

There have been previous reports of exclusive male-to-male pairings among penguins, some of which have also included the rearing of chicks.

Homosexual behaviour is well documented in many different animals, but it is not understood in detail, says Professor Stuart West, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Oxford.

Professor West says it has been suggested that homosexual activity could serve various purposes - for instance, it may relate to social bonding and establishment of dominance among bonobo chimps, while in some bird species, females may come together to rear young.

Other animals may simply exhibit a "drive to mate", while others may, like humans, enjoy non-procreative sexual activity.

"Homosexuality is nothing unusual among animals," Bremerhaven zoo said on Wednesday.

"Sex and coupling up in our world do not necessarily have anything to do with reproduction."

(Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8081829.stm)

2. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    This story makes me smile. :grin:

3. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    yay! i love penguins i hope they do better than the heterosexual penguins lol

4. Eleanor Rigby

I was just going to make a post about that !
    Let's hope humanity will learn from the penguins !

5. Thisisnew

I love that :slight_smile:

6. Just Adam

it really shows that homosexuality exists in a wide variety of creatures and it is not negative. this chick was abandoned by its mother and two males are raiseing it :slight_smile:

makes me happy hopefully many can learn from this :slight_smile:

7. dudethere

next time anyone tells me homosexuality is a choice and its rong I'll tell them this!

8. Phantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aw, that's so sweet! I now think penguins are even more awesome than I did before :grin:

9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Not to be rude or anything, but how is this news =\ .

10. olides84

Quite straightforward I think. A lot of folks talk about homosexuality as 'not natural.' But it is natural among many species like the article says. Then add in the fact that two father penguins are successfully raising a baby penguin after it had been abandoned by its mother. Speaks of gay adoption.

11. NkyJ

I love penguins! I'll adopt the couple AND their child! Hahah

12. Lychee

I love gay penguins!

13. Ronnie92

I just used this yesterday to teach a friend that it wasn't a choice. I feel happy :grin:

14. Just Adam

infact the only choice made in this is the decision by the two not to turn their backs on a defensless little one :slight_smile:

15. Rygirl

oww how adorable. Penguins are possibly the coolest animals in the world, I think now that they are the coolest animals in the universe!

16. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanna pet gay penguin now. :frowning2:

17. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just saw an update on BBC World News. The six week old chick seems to be doing really well and it seems that the two fathers are showing everyone the ropes on how to bring up a chick! That's a cute story! :slight_smile:

18. Alex19

i love this. i wonder if any fundamentalists are gonna try converting the penguins so they dont go to hell. lol