1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RCMP gay purge during the 1950s/60s

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mirko, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A sad story about the RCMP (Canadian federal police) and it's 'gay purge' during the late 1950s and 1960s.

2. rocking23

They have come a long way now:grin:
    I know gay RCMP members:grin:

3. Fiorino

Oh my god-that's awful! :eek:

But hey-Gay Marriage is now legal in Canada and it's not in the US.
    So you've come a long way no doubt about that. :icon_wink

4. Greggers

Its a shame all right, im just glad that we have come so far since those days. Not only do we have Gay Marriage like Fiorino said, but things like LGBT people being able to serve openly in our army too. Its so amazing what half a century can do. Just think were we will be in another 50 years, eh? People are going to look back on the states having bans on gay marriage and be thinking the same thing we are thinking while reading this article now i suppose.

5. Just Adam

its sad but not overly surpriseing really. some would of been homophobic but some of it would of been purely of been the paranoia of the time, some may truely of believed they couldent risk having people around who could be blackmailed.

i am surprised by the level of interigation giving john watkins a heart attack :frowning2: poor guy

but the progress from them times has been tremendous id be soooooo happy to live in canada now as its changed so much :slight_smile: