1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maurice - LGBT film set around 1910

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Greggers

I recently downloaded and watched a film called "Maurice" after seeing a short review on the Afterelton.com top 50 LGBT movie list. It came in #5 or 6 or something. It was made in 1987 but is set in the early 1900's. Among the list of people in the movie is Hugh Grant, and frankly thats the sole reason i watched it in the first place hehe. I have to say, it was VERY good. It was alot like Brokeback Mountain, but set in England at an earlier date. I am a HUGE Jane Austin fan, i really enjoy the old British social and political films they are just so...i dunno how to describe it, but i like them :slight_smile: This film was basically Jane Austin for gays. It follows the story of two men who meet at college and fall for each other, then after college they slowly drift apart after one of them witnesses a mutual friend jailed for crimes of homosexuality. The rest of the movie basically follows how there lives pan out, each of them in a very different way than the other. I wont give too much more away, but it was beautiful, well acted and written, and quite long (but unlike brokeback kept my attention going). Oh and be warned, there is one scene with nudity if that is not ok with you for any number of reasons.

One thing i found interesting is that this film is the FIRST big budget "period" gay film. It does that title justice in my opinion. It felt just as accurate to the time period as any jane austin film. Oh, the one character said "fuck" at one point and that threw me off, but yea other than that :slight_smile:

The reason why im specifically making a thread for this film though is it delt with a subject you only find in period set films, history. It showed what it was like to be gay in the early 1900's in most of the western culture. Ive never seen a film about that, so it was quite an eye opener. It was worth watching just to broden your knowledge on the subject in my opinion. Its definitely no documentary, but it was well done.

(Oh, and yes, Hugh Grant *was* sexy in it, so my reason for watching was justified)

2. acorn7

I've seen it. It didn't like it much honestly, but I guess I thought it would focus more on their life at school rather than as adults out and about.

About gay rights in England, I know homosexuality was heavily repressed during the Victorian era (about 1850 to 1900), as was any kind of "deviant" behaviour.

3. Noah

Hate to be a bother, but I was trying to make it through all 100 of those and now my web is blocked... is there any way you could PM that list to me? Links don't work unfortunately. If not, it's cool. I just have to wait until I move out to start going for all 100 again

4. Greggers

Ill just post the top 10 here :slight_smile: (sorry, dont have the time right now to post the rest, if someone else could that works)

1. Brokeback Mountain (2005)
    2. Beautiful Thing (1996)
    3. Shelter (2007)
    4. Latter Days (2003)
    5. Maurice (1987)
    6. Trick (1999)
    7. Get Real (1998)
    8. Big Eden (2000)
    9. The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy (2000)
    10. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)

5. Alexander

I really enjoyed Maurice when I saw it a year or so ago. It's a bit slow at points, but a good story.

The film wasn't completely accurate to the time period, but it was still fairly well put together. I'm lucky (or unlucky) to have studied the early 20th century quite extensively, so at a few points my WTF sensor was going off like crazy!

6. Shelter was probably the best I've seen.

I didn't really enjoy Brokeback Mountain at all. :confused:

7. kettleoffish

Both Shelter and Maurice are now downloading.... :slight_smile: