1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Awards 2009

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Greggers

Ok! So i just finished the Tony Awards and wanted to chat a little about it :slight_smile: Here are some of my thoughts:

- The opening number was only good once Hair came on. It was kinda a hot tranny mess the rest of the time, yeeeeea
    - The kid from Billy Elliot had the most awkward way of screaming "OW!" during his performance.
    - Maria was whiter than me! Um...This is West Side Story not "white on white on white" Story! Get it together, go spray tan it up!
    - Anne Hathaway and Gavin Creel were sporting white Marriage Equality ribbons :slight_smile: Im sure alot more were too, but i only noticed Anne Hathaway's cause i want to be her and Gavin Creel's cause i want to be inside him :wink:
    - Liza is great and i love her, but what was with her accepting that award all...well...Lindsey Lohan/Paula Abdul style? Someone prop her up with a stick next time.
    - Hair is just amazing, and i must somehow see it. I thought it was the most entertaining performance of the night.
    - NPH was kind of a let down for me :frowning2: He didnt say much at all. He was funny when he did get to talk atleast?
    - The legally blonde number was not only cut short but that girl is NO Laura Bell Bundy! I want the OBC back!
    - The person who won best female blah blah at the end was ON CRACK! She said that kennedy quote and started to have a mental breakdown! What was that all about?
    - Gavin Creel looked SO HOT in his outfit at the end when they announced his nomination. Ow Ow! but he didnt win and i started to yell, and my mom asked me why i liked him so much...i didnt answer hehe...
    - Rock of Ages looked so funny, and i started to gay-scream and jump when i heard the first chords of "Dont Stop Believing" :slight_smile: Thats one show i wish i could go see.
    - The four guys from Jersey Boys were a let down...until they showed #5 from the Broadway production! HE put some soul into it!
    - I am so glad Dolly Parton did not win a Tony. Whewh! Disaster averted.
    - The girls singing Dancing Queen from Mamma Mia looked tired and sounded tired too.

Ok yes, im a freak when it comes to these things, but i have been waiting for the Tony Awards forever now. Since i cannot go to New York, this is the closest ill ever get to seeing alot of these shows i so deeply long to see. Overall, i just looooved this years Awards :slight_smile: Kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time!

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

The award ceremonies that take place with the red carpet for the most part are notorious shams. There was a video game one not too long ago that nearly made me shit a brick out of frustration. I was like there's no way the same video game can win nearly 6/8 of the goddamn awards. It wasn't that great. Truly, I think they're rigged though.

Do the shows not come on T.V. or do you just want the New York experience?

3. HyperMuse32

You forgot that the last guy who won an award (I don't remember which it was) talked about the change that needed to come in the world and at the end of his list he said "equality" and grabbed his left ring finger. I thought that was a strong message.

4. Greggers

Yes that was the head producer of "Hair" who said that. I was hoping Gavin Creel, the lead actor IN Hair, would win so he could talk about his Homosexual Agenda :wink: (He is one of the people behind Broadway Impact)

And to Enigma, this is Broadway fool! :slight_smile: It does not air on TV because they are stage productions not movies or tv shows. If i want to see the shows i either go to Broadway and see them, or wait for a show to make its way to seattle when they do a tour and go see it then (what im doing with Rent on the 21st and Wicked this sept.) but none of the shows ever make it to Vancouver :frowning2:

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh Greggers, SO not true! We've had Cats, Joseph and the Amazing barf (hated it!), Kiss of the Spider Woman, Phantom multiple times, Rent multiple times, Les Mis more than multiple times, Angels in America multiple times, Mamma Mia, and probably more I'm not thinking of. We're no Toronto (in terms of musicals being produced here) but we do get quite a few of the big shows.

I expect we'll get Wicked sooner or later. I'm actually a bit surprised we haven't as yet. It might have something to do with the QE being under renovations, because that's really the only good venue in Vancouver to stage a massive musical like Wicked. The (formerly Ford) pseudo-defunct Centre for the Performing Arts just does not cut it.

I didn't know it was coming to Seattle this September... too bad I'll be in Toronto by then but maybe I'll pop down to Broadway to see it there. Of course, once you've seen a show in London, can anywhere else compare? (Yes, that was said purely to induce envy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Hey, did you see Les Mis at the Stanley yet? What did you think?

6. Greggers

Ugh, I was supposed to get tickets to Les Mis for my birthday, but they are either being kept a secret till my birthday or they were not bought. I am not going to spend any money on tickets right now seeing as im going to Seattle for Rent and spending....more money than id care to.....on shoes, clothes, and Rent crap <3

And we get quite alot of stuff for some random city in Canada i guess, just not as much as id like hehe :slight_smile: Mainly i just want to see Spring Awakening, Wicket and Avenue Q

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I DVRed all but the first 30 minutes of it and just watched it. I've never watched the Tonys before (no, honest, I really am gay) but it was pretty good. Certainly better than the Ashamedy Awards.

Oh my gods, YES! It was SO pathetic sounding! And I'm sorry, I saw Billy Elliot in London and I don't understand why everyone is so gaga over it. I didn't care for it at all, really.

Oh THAT'S what those were... I figured it was something like that because I know AH is a huge LGBT rights supporter. I have to say I loved her years before I found this out.

As for Gavin Creel, I had no idea who he was until you just informed me but he can do whatever he wants with me at his leisure. :icon_twis

I'm not sure I would like the actual show but it was definitely the most fun/energetic number at the Tonys!

I thought it was cool she actually tried to be passionate and, you know, do what actors are good at, which is perform/present/inspire.

I don't know her show but did you pick up on the super-incest vibe between her and her son (her son in the show, I mean)? Not that I couldn't understand the attraction--he was super-hot like Creel.

*giggle* Well honestly how could he compare to a trio of prepubescents, one of whom cannot manage to scream "ow" convincingly? *rolls eyes*

I have to say my love of Glee made me a lot more appreciative of their number than I would otherwise likely have been.

I think I liked the second one but they were all kinda blah. Not going to go rush out and see that when I land in Tdot.

You did NOT just say that! I'm sorry, Greggers, we have to take away your gay card. Dolly Parton is da bomb!

LOL... catty, but SO true!

Why can't you go to New York? You should save up for a trip--it's amazing even without Broadway!

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Urgh... truth me told, I've never really understood why people are all gaga over Rent. Granted, FAAAAAR better than Billy Elliot but that's not saying much. I mean it's decent but it's not like "oh my god oh my god oh my god Anthony RAAAAAAAAAAAAPP!"

Oh wait... they were totally advertising the Rent thing in Seattle during the Tonys. So wow, you're going to actually see Anthony Rapp. I had this minor correspondence with his then-boyfriend/partner whatever long before I knew what Rent was and who Anthony Rapp might be, like over ten years ago when Rent was first on Broadway. Don't ask me how that happened; I still find it weird because it was only kinda notable in retrospect.

(Gosh, I can't even name drop properly. :slight_smile:)

Anyway, if you're going to splurge, splurge on Wicked. Much better than Rent.

I found out about Spring Awakening from (don't kill me, please) the new 90210. Hadn't heard of it until then, although yes, I do realise the main girl on Glee orginated one of the leads in it. Anyway, I like "Mama Who Bore Me" well enough but I'm not sure I'm interested enough to spend money on the whole show.

Avenue Q has always sounded fun. It's incredibly all over the Internet... like multiple versions of clips from it, I mean.

9. Greggers

Mmm he is fine :slight_smile: Yea i found out about him through his LGBT rights work. Ive seen alot of clips of him in interviews and such, and he is not only hot, but down to earth and just so amazing and well rounded.

Oh my yes! That was creepy. It got me interested in Next to Normal though. The guy was super hot and the sad thing is, i thought THEY made a better couple than the dad haha. But that is definitely on my list of "to see" musicals now. Very powerful.

I was hoping enough of the judges were gay and therfore would pick the hot guy. Now im just hoping they didnt use that same logic when picking the three little boys...

Same here. Im ashamed to say id never heard that song before Glee. As i have now seen Glee about 7 or 8 times, i LOVE the song. Not so much for the rock music, but when you put a softer twist on some of it then im in :slight_smile:

Im sorry, but the ONLY country song i will listen to is "Kiss a Girl" by Keith Urban (Ironic, i know...). Ill say this, Dolly Parton is a fun girl and i love her when she does guest spots in shows and movies and such, but im not a fan of her singing. Sorry. Take away my gay card if you must.

I can see myself going in three, four or five years down the road, but i am so poor that its just not something i could do anytime soon. Plane tickets to New York cost more than my entire collection of Musicals on DvD, and thats saying something!

10. Greggers

Well, Spring Awakening is worth the money. Trust me. I saw a bootleg and THAT blew me away. It was stylish, edgy, emotional, funny, and just great. Im in love with the soundtrack right now :slight_smile: I didnt know the girl from Glee was in it until i saw the Bootleg hehe.

And dont worry, i am a HUGE 90210 fan haha...yeeeeea...i dont admit that much.

11. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Lol wtf? Is this a quote battle? How do you quote that many times anyway? The only way I can is by cut and paste over and over.

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Am I the only one who thinks Creel's face is shaped like a perfect rectangle? In a really creepy, Toyota square heads way?

13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's how I do it.

Inline replies are the best.