1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage Dead in NY

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, Jun 8, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

2. Greggers

I read that on the Advocate today :frowning2: It also said this, and its the hope im clinging to:

3. STK

STK Guest

I just with these motherfuckers would drop the ropes so we can bring about utopia already!

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I still have hopes on New Jersey and DC this year....time to focus efforts there.

5. acorn7

Oh well, this is very poopish indeed. This was in a NY Times article:

What is this, kindergarden?

6. EM68

That sucks.

7. Thisisnew

Sad really sad.

8. djt820

Its politics but whats the difference?

9. Emberstone

weird. I thought the law stated that you cant change your party until a new election. that is to prevent polititions from basically slamming all the voters who voted for a specific party and platform.

Maybe it is different in new york, but this is the first time I have ever heard of this being done. even specter *was it specter* cant become a democrat until the next election. all he could do was make his intention to change parties clear.

unless new york allows you to change parties midsession, the republicans have no legal or constitutional right to do what this article claims. the people of new york voted for a democratic majority... and it is not within the rights of the republicans to go against the election results like that.

The democrats who defected to the right have the full rights to vote how they want, but the republicans *or any political party* should not have any legal authority to therefore to take the majority by force, because legally *unless new yorks political laws are outside the norm*, you do have to wait for the election to earn the majority.

if only impeachment was a option...

also, it seems the republicans really have broken the law here according to the new york times.

Time and time again, the post fundementalist take over republican party has shown it cares only about screwing america for fun and profit. Laws are for lesser beings it seems.

Lincoln is rolling in his grave.

***edit***

also, found this interesting:

"Why Mr. Espada and Mr. Monserrate suddenly defected on Monday afternoon was not immediately clear. Both men are under investigation by the authorities. The state attorney general’s office is investigating a health care agency, Soundview HealthCare Network, that Mr. Espada ran until recently. And Mr. Monserrate, who was indicted on felony assault charges in March stemming from an attack on his companion, would automatically be thrown out of office if convicted."

So they are being investigated... the republicans sure have good taste in benidict arnolds...

#9 Emberstone, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  10. RyonRyon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    btw, federal court rejects challenges to DOMA .

11. CrystalCat

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I must say the change in party of these two men makes them easier targets come election time, those who don't support marriage equality are all targets in my opinion.

13. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mmm, do you mean Don't Ask Don't Tell?

I haven't heard anything about DOMA being rejected, only DADT.

14. Just Adam

i find it interesting these two rats jumping the ship into the political crap of the opposition are beeing investigated for pretty serious things that could ruin their political carrer

i dont know what the politcal rules are in the usa is there some rule,law or incentive the republicans could of offered the two men that the democrats werent prepared to do in order to keep them in their position regardless of the investigations?

i ask this as i cant see why two people would switch or attempt to switch what now seems illegaly in itself just on same sex marriage as they could just vote against it im sure or maybe not vote at all if they wish

but seeing as soon as the two attempted to defect the opposition attempted to take control this seems to of been a planned attack and does want looking into for the cause stinks of further curroption to me ... i want the insentive for this sudden switch to come out :slight_smile:

15. Emberstone

The problem is, is that the state of new york elected a democratic majority. therefore, the democratic majority is the will of the majority of the citizens of new york. Therefore, the republicans should not be allowed to by force *expecially since it is turning out, this was illegal* to take control like this.

Wtf do they think this is, tawinese parliment?

16. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say, I find it hilarious they turned the lights out and the republicans still stayed in to take a vote in the dark. I was telling my mates about it earlier and it makes American politics sound so much more entertaining.

Here the most adventurous things MP's do in Parliament is stand up and sit straight back down again. XD Well, when they're not stealing money... :wink:

17. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

apparently this issue might still be brought to a vote, some websites are reporting.

18. wherewulfe

19. Just Adam

nice one on mps martin XD