1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop 8 not over

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sdc91, Jun 12, 2009.

1. sdc91

The debate over prop 8 still isn't over... I received this email about 10 minutes ago.

"June 12, 2009

Dear __

Tonight, California Attorney General Jerry Brown filed a brief in support of the federal lawsuit seeking to overturn Proposition 8 and restore marriage equality to California.

In stark contrast to President Obama's Justice Department filing a brief defending the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act, California's Attorney General Jerry Brown today filed a brief in support of a federal challenge to Proposition 8. Equality California is extremely appreciative of the Attorney General's continued leadership in opposition to Proposition 8 and in support of ending discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Californians.

Governor Schwarzenegger is expected to file his brief soon. We urge him to take the same principled stance and tell the Court that Prop. 8 violates the Constitution.

The time has come for all elected leaders to follow Jerry Brown’s example and stand up for equality for all Americans, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.

Equality California will continue our position of not endorsing or supporting any candidate for any level of public office who does not completely and unequivocally support total equality for our community.

In solidarity,

Geoff Kors
    Executive Director
    Equality California"

2. Shevanel

[​IMG]
    Oh Jesus Christ...

3. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm.. Maybe this is getting a bit too much.. People might get sick of the whole Prop 8 bitching and it'll hurt the cause.

4. sdc91

Any attention is good attention, IMO. Maybe a little ridiculous, but it could lead to a landmark ruling. As long as same-sex marriage is in the news, the more accustomed to it people will become. You can't argue with the polls.

5. ANightDude

Actually, with all the challenges to it and whatnot, some people might as well say "Let them marry if it ends it all!" the NOM is certainly losing support in California.

6. Absentminded

I agree with it being in the news, and getting coverage, but I also know for fact that if they overdo it too much, people are just going to vote yes, just to get people to shut up about it. Or vote no out of spite. My mom did that when they were protesting on the street that she works on (it's next to the capitol), and there's been so much coverage, that now she's like "why are they whining so much"!!!

7. Greggers

I dont understand Prop 8.

It takes AWAY rights from people.

How fucked up is the world if we are actually backtracking and taking AWAY rights? I mean REALLY...

IT TAKES AWAY RIGHTS FROM PEOPLE!

I just cant wrap my mind around it. How it passed that is.

"Hey people of California! Just for shits and giggles do you want to vote to take away rights from people just because they are a minority and they cant defend themselves against the rest of us? It will be fun! We can spend millions of dollars to do it too, that could have been spent on something productive! And hell, even though it goes against everything America was built on it still cant be that bad because it does not take away rights from me and as long as im not suffering who gives a fuck what happens!"

That is basically what i see when i see Prop 8.

So i also dont understand why anyone would be against trying to get it taken away.

Its not right. Plain and simple. Until The constitution is rid of the discrimination no one should give up fighting.

I know we have the whole 2010 ballot thing going, but frankly if it can happen before then thats only good in my eyes.

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't necessarily agree with that. People never got sick of hearing about the Civil Rights Movement in the 50's and 60's, and that was alot more national and hostile. I still don't think a federal lawsuit does much good though.

There's the opportunity to win via a ballot vote and completely destroy the opposition by removing their argument about the public never approving same-sex marriage using a referendum, and instead a federal lawsuit is just going to enforce their argument that legislators and courts are forcing same-sex marriage on states.

9. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I'm sure they got sick of hearing them too Martin. Infact, I got sick of hearing about 9/11 for like two and a half years straight. It's like, good god, it happened. Get over it. Move on. Stop strumming political support and waving your propaganda. I think Oregon has a good chance of passing legal same sex marriage though. :slight_smile: Or at least domestic partner ships.

10. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There probably were people who got sick of hearing about it, but there's a difference between that and getting so fed up that you're willing to go against it and damage its cause. There are people on here who are fed up of Prop 8, but I don't think it's at a stage where it's turning people against us.

I see how pushing it repeatedly could do that, but I don't think a federal court case will be the factor that causes society to turn on us.

11. sdc91

Um, hello. Wake up. They already have...

12. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

lol Sorry that was one of my first postings after waking up. I was half asleep.

13. Markio

I'm annoyed that the focus is on Prop 8 specifically instead of the issue itself. I don't know if I'll ever fall in love, or even get married, but there are a lot of people here who do and can't wait until 2010 or 2012. I wish it were just legal. It's not like the people who voted against it will receive some difference in their lives. Hmph.

14. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  15. Just Adam

16. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    same, but we're 1/2 way there :slight_smile:

17. olides84

People should realize that California DOES have domestic partnerships, and has for a long time. Domestic partnerships have most of the rights as marriage. So a lot of the legal argument for same-sex marriage in California, at least, has to do with any remaining rights, 'separate but not equal' concepts, eventual federal recognition, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_partnership_in_California

After reading the last few posts, I was interested in exactly what the UK's civil partnerships were - and it seems they are equivalent to marriage, at least in the government's eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_partnership

Finally here in Belgium, there are full same-sex marriage rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_Belgium

18. Just Adam

the legal rights are similar but theres a few missing somewhere i forget what now but just the term civil union makes my back itch who thought of that ? its just such a cold title to me anyway.

i dont like teh fact we cant have marriage but just say its state marriage and not religious... by giving similar rights but not ones that go witht he term marriage then to me your sitting on the fence and trying to play both sides and that annoys me. just make us equal but apart from religion it aint hard...

19. Just Adam

oh and joey ...love the mr slave XD

20. ANightDude

NOM has really killed itself with the "Storm" message, many people who oppose Same Sex marraige even think it was a horrible and stupid commerical. Now after that last poll someone did, The majority of californians support same sex marriage. Same with the states of Rhode Island, New Jersey, New York, etc.