1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sweden very likely to allow church marriage for same sex couples

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by katherine20, Jun 13, 2009.

1. katherine20

http://www.thelocal.se/20044/20090613/
    A big yaaaaay for Sweden and Lutheran church! Their legislation on the same sex rights is a real rolemodel for all other countries. Anders Wejryd, a swedish archbishop said very beautifully on the matter: "The church wants to support relations that are based on fidelity. From a theological point of view, love is the highest commandment that shall overrule all the other commandments and rules of the Bible."

2. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

The Lutheran Church is alot more conservative in the US, being a Lutheran myself (of German and Swedish relation, even though I have Spanish and French background on my father's side), I hope our church follows the Europe model and opens up to gays alot more.

For those who don't know, the majority of Swedes who have a faith, are Lutheran.

3. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    First they give us ABBA now this, is there anything is country won't do for gays lol

4. Just Adam

thats a great thing to say and sooooooooooooooo right :grin:

5. ANightDude

The Lutheren Church rocks! I am lutheren and my church is pro-gay (with most people there). They're the most likely large denomination that will recognize and preform same sex marraige (no matter how long it takes.)

6. Elven

Yay! I like living in Europe :3 I mean... no offence or anything but in the US it really seems like christianity is shoved down your throught as a kid while as i've always seen that I have a choice.... even though I went to a Church of England Primary School....

7. Just Adam

same elven this country does have its plus sides.

8. Elven

So true :3

9. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    i get the feeling i must defend the USA despite what some may think we arnt all right wing christian nut jobs and it isnt totally shoved down your throat i think many of you would find many Americans are open minded and tolerant everywhere has its bad points

10. Just Adam

never said usa is bad, right wings scare me no matter where they are,

11. Elven

^Agreed^

12. No One

Oh believe me unless you grow up in a large town it is way beyond crammed down your throat here in the US. Although for me its way worse than the normal 15 year old so i guess i would have different views on that.

13. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Not true. While some small towns do that, not all do. And the ones that do are usually redneck places or at least I've noticed an increase right wing conservatism there. Even in big cities, it still exists. While big cities are better, not all are. In-fact, some are worst than small towns.

14. partietraumatic

I think its fair to say as a nation we are much less religious. Case in point when Obama was inagurated what did he end with,and what to all presidents always end with?

'God Bless America'.

If our prime minister said 'God Bless the Uk' everyone would laugh at him and wander what the hell he was on :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Elven

Lol definetly :lol:

16. Charme

Charme Guest

Wish the Catholic Church would do this :frowning2: But oh well. Yay for Sweden!! :grin:

17. Just Adam

we wonder what hes on anyway haha i think the only one who could help him now is GOD haha...hmmm you get the cross ill bring the nails >:slight_smile:

18. RaRa

I'm so moving to Sweden when I get older. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: