1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

http://www.obamasplanforgayrights.com/

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Greggers

http://www.obamasplanforgayrights.com/

Ok, so i swear i dont mean to post so much "anti-obama" so to speak stuff. I follow alot of LGBT groups on Twitter, and this was sent to me.

So this is the story. I see a tweet "OBAMA's LGBT RIGHTS PLAN <link>" and i go "Oh weet! Obama has finally done something!" and i shift-click it to open in another tab, then go back to reading more twitter and facebook. A few minutes later i remember i have this other tab open, so i got to look at it...

...and lets just say you can figure out the rest of the story on your own after visiting the site xD

2. mattyrusso

That's a disheartening homepage..

3. Greggers

Yea i thought so too, but it has a button for "Change It" :slight_smile:

4. Surprising? Not at all.

5. Glunn11

LOL.
    I was totally rooting for a blank page, but this is pretty grand itself. In the words of Karen Walker:
    "It's funny because it's true."

6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it rather upsetting how his campaign was all about "change", and yet he plans not to change this which would really set him apart and show how different he is to the rest of the world.

7. EM68

Unfortunately I am not too surprised. Obama has so much on his plate that I had a feeling the LGBT issues would be put down on his list of priorities.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It should've just said "Thanks for the votes, suckers."

Lex

9. Amy

Amy

Agreed.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Okay, I hate to say this but what have YOU done for equality? Are you writing to the President? Are you writing to Congress? Stop giving this energy! Instead do something! We all thought once Obama was in office that all these things were just going to happen. They haven't happened....yet. We need to be in his face so much that he knows that we aren't going to wait any longer. Stop complaining and do something..........NOW!

“Never underestimate the ability of a small group of committed individuals to change the world. Indeed, they are the only ones who ever have.” Margaret Mead

11. xequar

He sure seemed to be able to multi-task during the campaign, and he sure slammed McCain for not being able to multi-task.

I knew Obama was too conservative for my tastes, but now that we're a few months in, I am shocked and pissed off about HOW conservative he really is. Seriously, given all that he's done since he's gotten into office regarding torture and Gitmo and some of the illegal presidental powers he's struggling to keep for himself, I'm beginning to think we might have done better with McCain.

As for this website, funny, but because it's sadly true.

12. xequar

He said he was going to do them. Not doing them makes him a liar. Sure we have to be vocal and visible, but chiding us for not doing enough is, in my opinion, misguided and unfair. We voted for Obama based on a certain set of expectations, and anger over his failure to deliver is completely valid as far as I'm concerned.

13. Greggers

Thats exactly why everyone should click on the button "Change It" and donate what you can, then write a letter if your an american citizen and hopes its one of the three or whatever it is chosen to be read by the president in the morning. If you can, try and do the National March for Equality this October! Im going to attempt to go to that myself if i have the cash.

But i agree that he needs to actually live up to his promises, we should not have to force him to. If anything he could use the writing in the Dont Ask Dont Tell policy to suspend the law during a crisis or time of war so that innocent people are not being fired, as they currently are.

14. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

You seem to forget that before you all voted for him, he said he wasn't pro gay marriage. You voted for him, and you got stuck with him.

I knew that neither candidate was good in terms of gay rights as well, so I didn't really count their views on gay rights and instead focused on other issues.

I mean, what good is gay marriage when we have countries around the world who are developing nuclear weapons. Would you rather have more gay rights instead of bringing home the troops in Iraq who are getting killed every day? Would you rather go through a massive depression but have gay marriage legalized?

Ya, I tend to look at the other issues. Gay rights would be a plus, but things that threaten our safety should count a little, no?

#14 Swamp56, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
  15. olides84

^ Yeah not federal gay marriage, but he campaigned on lots of other gay rights issues.

The US has a MASSIVE government. The President likely has hundreds of thousands of people working for him. Congress has heaps of staffers and advisors etc. They can move forward with the gay rights policies that they promised to work for at the same time as worrying about Iraq, health care, nuclear weapons and other 'bigger' issues.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well you may think its unfair but I'm tired of hearing people complain while they sit idly by and do nothing. In the time it takes to make a post here or on facebook complaining about everything, you could have written our President a letter.

17. mattyrusso

Agreed. Can't be married if North Korea blows us all up, ya know?

18. Paralyzer

Yeah, because you just HAVE to watch out for the president that WANTS America to be a shit hole.
    No one wants war or depression, everyone has their own way to deal with it. It's not like some retard will just be thrown on the ballot for election.

19. Shevanel

Hell Yes Becky (*hug*)

20. DexterMorgan

I'm in the same boat as Becky. :icon_bigg