1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benefits extended to same-sex partners of federal employees

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Wander, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  2. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

one good thing Obama has done, he is probably making up for DOMA flap; I better see this along with the Matthew Shappard Hate Crimes bill by the end of the week. I'm getting angry now.

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You have to read the comments on this one...

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Its true....some people are just IDIOTS!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Second that! Every time I read these kinds of comments, I just wanna smack 'em

6. Alexander

Note that Obooboo hasn't actually SAID he will extend rights. He's just expected to.

7. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I kinda feel like he took the easy way out. Hes beating around the bush too much. Deal with the problem and stop sugarcoating it! He could be the first president to actually deal with this situation. I know he's busy but he had time to declare gay month and make this current bill. He has time to repeal some things if you ask me. :bang:

8. Elven

Grrrg these small minded people can only see things from their perspective, I can see what there getting at but this kind of verbal (well not really verbal) abuse is unnecisary, can't they see that though they can't get benefits while being un-married the Homosexual citizens can't get married and it isn't their choice whether they can get benefits or not......:tantrum:

9. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

Agreed. Something much more direct and to the point would be nice. But I don't really foresee that one happening. It would piss too many people off, and there already are plenty who are pissed off that Obama even made it into office in the first place.

At least this is kind of a step in the right direction...no matter the nasty comments left on the article itself. Though I can see the point of unmarried straight couples...even if they COULD get married if they wanted to.

It's all a big mess.

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you understand my username here, I'm sure you could figure out who I am in the comments - just read those for my thoughts on this issue.

I'm tempted to reach through the screen and slap you. My 68-year-old fundie grandma has started using that name, and refuses to stop until he is elected out, impeached, or assassinated. It annoys the shit out of us at family gatherings.

11. Just Adam

this is sooooooo stupid.

i want to like him i want change in the world but its sooooooo hard he sit on the fence more than ... i dont know :S

just do somthing to actually help people. benifits to federal employes does that basically mean people who work in the govt?... look weve been through this here giving extra benefits to govt workers and not general public it aint a good way to go.

he has to stop dithering and do somthign for equality, this will only help a few it seems and yet piss off many ..example the small minded comments :frowning2:

help us pres obama :frowning2: im relying on you to give proper equality so my country will sit up and take notice :frowning2:

12. D_Alejandro

I never had faith or believed in Obama. And he's not getting either any time soon from me (sadly).

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, it basically means government employees. In a very simple way, it's like a mixed civil union/marriage benefits package without the ceremony or legal status. Sort of.

And yes, I and everyone here hopes he'll do even more to grant benefits that shouldn't even be argued over, but that's the disadvantage of being a politician - everything reflects back on you. Of course he can't please everyone, but publicly voicing support for an unpopular minority is risky political territory. I'm still waiting for the day a politician comes along with the balls to grant full equality without giving a shit what WorldNutDaily or the Knights of Columbus think, but that day may never come.

14. Just Adam

the day wont come aslong as politicians live to be seem by the right wing media as protectors of the faith and such bollocks

all teh crap he talked about with change and nothing... terrorist dention camps...still there with no clear idea what to do.... lgbt rights no clear idea what to do... the economy talked alot more peopel are loseing their jobs still and theres no faith....

he needs to make the big changes for human rights equality and the future of his people, whrere alot of people are in this world ok they will see him badlly as we are all still a minority looked down on by many but he needs to work for a good today and a better tomorrow he needs to focus on how hes remembered not how hes seen:|

15. I'm the same way.

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, I didn't vote for Obama expecting him to pick up the banner for gay rights. The federal government has tended to always been more conservative than one would think, only responding to societal change once forced to from below. I think the states and localities have to lead the way on this one. Once gay marriage is legal in twenty or thirty states, that'll be a sign for the federal government to jump on the "gay is OK" bandwagon, and so I think that's where we need to focus our energy. I'm not making excuses for Obama here, but I think we can move things forward with or without his aid. Hell, we did pretty well over the last eight years, and it's not like we had much help from above then, did we? :slight_smile:

Lex

17. EM68

I am so disappointed with Obama when it come to Gay Rights. He did not mind the Gay community helping him get into office and he has done nothing up to now. He has so much going on right now,I felt that his LGBT agenda would be pushed back. Over a month ago I heard a report where a reporter asked some one in the defense department about how are the plans for repealing DOTA and the official said that they have not even started. If Obama was truly serious about LGBT rights he would push for the repeal of Defense of Marriage Act and Don't Ask Don't Tell.

18. Just Adam

i agree with Ed and lex.... he needs to do more but in the end we dont need him we keep going forward we are the freaking energizer bunny and teh duracell bunny combined you cant stop us we jsut keep goin gand going and going we make the flash look slow we make superman look like the wimp and some of us make batman look like he dosent have issues ...but thats for another day XD

19. Greggers

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMeXUeQ4NHU&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

20. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    #20 Jonah 4, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009