1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maine's Gay Marraige Foe's Hire Prop 8 Firm

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ANightDude, Jun 18, 2009.

1. ANightDude

This is not good.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090618/ap_on_re_us/us_gay_marriage_maine

Well at least Maine has a large pro-gay population.

2. Shevanel

Thats what a lot of people said about California...:rolleyes:

3. ANightDude

:dry:grin:ang, your right. Makes me nervous! :icon_sad:

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm hoping the state will still vote to legalise it. The passage of Prop 8 did alot for Marriage Equality despite taking away marriage rights. After all the controversy it caused, I'm hoping Maine won't allow a repeat of that.

I do like the ballot question for the law though. It should hopefully make some religious people side with us as it's made clear their church is not at risk of being persecuted for their beliefs.

5. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

So...
    Are there any large churches in or around Maine that feel like the law doesn't apply to them? I mean... Is there a large amount of Mormons with money in Maine?

Because I honest to their God believe that is what tipped the scales. It all came down to money.

6. Fiorino

Why are these people so obsessed with gay people? I'm gay, and I'm not obsessed with straight people, or straight marraige. Why can't they just get out of our lives and stop trying to keep commited loving couples from marrying because their religion judges that we're not worthy of the same privileges because of our sexual orientation?! Seriously, back off!! Since when does a majority have the right to vote away a minorities' right?
    What's next? Taking away the right of Black people to vote?

*vent*

7. Northern New England is like hick central. So I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to mobilize enough to people to shoot it down.

8. Nugget

... Aw FUCK. Please tell me I'm not gonna see signs all over my neighbors' lawns wanting to uphold the law!

I live in a relatively republican place because we have a politician who advocated for McCain (and so did almost everyone else in town), not to mention the churches. Don't tell me I'm gonna have Mormons coming over 11:00 in the morning to tell me stuff I don't wanna hear! Crap!!

9. Just Adam

people always trying to shoot down somthign good. if these people have any sense they will keep same sex marriage make the process costly and make the religious poke nose in none of their buisness hicks pay for everything.... tell them where to shove it and take every penny they got...well cent in the process its a good days work :slight_smile:

theyll lose the family shed have to sell the tractor and pitch fork , sell 7 of the kids dont worry plenty left to keep the rest to keep the family blood line going withen itself and the wifes mad old mother will have to go and her rocking chair with ehr... just make sure she takes the cats and spit bucket :S

10. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just remember to invite them in and have as long as talk as you possibly can. They can't spread a message of hate to those that can be swayed if they're stuck talking to someone who's mind can't be changed the entire day.

11. KnightAssassin

So if marrige is from the churches then what ever happened to separation of church and state because married couples get more benefits then why do we have to get married for certain benefits if it's church affiliated then isn't church and state closer than it should be I mean marriage shouldn't affect anything with benefits of taxation yet if straight people are so narrow-minded that we can't have the same rights then who the hell says they have the same right as us and another thing ..... "for god's name is jealousy because he is a jealous god" so even god sins so where do they get off saying we are wrong second everyone can repent for sins that what jesus died for so what makes lieing worse than gay sex sins are sins aren't they ?