1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bittersweet ruling on a hate crime in my own area

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Greggers

http://advocate.com/news_detail_ektid92020.asp

Well this is kinda cool. A family in vancouver got sued for hate crimes against a gay couple and the gay couple won 15 grand :slight_smile: I mean it still sucks that it happened, but its nice to know the law in on your side ya know? Im sure in alot of places this case would have never even gone to court.

Its quite sad. They have been together 30 years and when they moved in they were told “gays weren’t welcome at Brighthouse.” :frowning2: This family next to them called the police with false accusations, uttered slurs, tried to instigate fights, deflated the couple’s tires, and even threatened to kill their cat. THE CAT!?!!? Seriously...if you hate gay people so much why take it out on the cat o-o

The best part? They would have sued for more but the couple provoked the family “to a limited extent.” hehe. They got the basketball hoop and trampoline taken away because they called in violations on them, not false ones at that. I like this couple, they are sassy :wink:

Oh, and apparently they called the wife "Fat", but they denied it. (Oooo grrrrl, i BET you called her fat you little bitchy thing :wink:)

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Now that's "karma" I can believe in. lol

3. Emberstone

Good for them, and no offence, but calling a person fat isnt something you call the police over. threats, like that narrow minded family was doing however is illegal. I think that the case was won more on the fact that the narrow minded family was threatening and destorying the plaintiffs property, then it was why they did it. the fact that they were slashing tires and hurassing the gay couple makes it illegal already, regardless of why they did it. but it is good to see the legal system is standing up for everyones right to be safe from hurassment, harm, and persecution. the hate crimes part was only the icing on the cake of something that a judge would have likely awarded settlement anyways. good chance to use this to point out the evils of racisems, bigottry, and homophobia.

4. ANightDude

Good thing! Looks like they got the slap they deserved.

They went far to torment them. Killing animals and slashing tires? Just because they're gay? It sounds more like Aztec warriors making sacrifices, the freaks. :/

At least the gay couple got what they wanted and deserved.

5. D_Alejandro

Yay! Justice :slight_smile:

6. littledinosaurs

I think the fact that someone has the balls to say to someone else that "(insert group) aren't welcome here in (insert place)" means they are a huge asshole and seriously need some help.
    Good for the couple for suing them =)

7. Just Adam

i like this for future cases ...your honor id like to cite the lovelly gay couple Vs the cat threatening homophobes....

XD

8. Mickey

I read this AND commented on it,too. Greg,did you read the comments? Some of them really pissed me off. I got revenge,though,by my own comment!
    I'm SOOOOOO happy the guys won! Damn homophobes!

9. Greggers

Yea i just read the comments.

Your sexual orientation, gay OR straight, does not make you a better/worse person or more likely to be better/worse person. People need to figure that out.

If a straight couple threatens to kill a gay couples cat that is because that straight couple is Hitler's spawn not because they are straight. The ONLY way to judge people is if you do it person by person. Clumping a group of people together and labeling them this or that will never work because no two people have been, are, or will ever be the same.

10. Just Adam

unless they are clones XD

11. Greggers

Even then Adam, they will never be the same. Our experiences shape us just as much as our gene pool does. You can look the same, talk the same, but you still wont be the same.

12. Just Adam

what if they can share experience over a low level telepathic connection? :slight_smile:

( im not looking to proove you wrong gregger i just dont like thinking theres limitations)

allthough i personally wouldent like someone the same as me.

13. Greggers

Good thing there is no such thing as a telepathic connection then :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Just Adam

i dont know THE TWO GREGGERS....could be a broadway act lol